Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: renesis rotary
thekafer

posted on 1/9/03 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
renesis rotary

I'm posting from Texas and have a question about the new mazda renesis engine.It's just been released here in the states(three weeks ago in the new rx-8)and is already becoming very popular.It's 1/3 smaller and lighter than the 13b and makes 250 hp! all this and naturally aspirated!I've seen an artical of a guy with a very nice dax rush who's already running one in his car. How did he get the thing so soon? Were they released there earlier? Mazda will not sell the engine by itself for one year due to production shortages and nobody seems willing to wreck their rx 8 for me.Any clues?
MattWatson

posted on 1/9/03 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
He probably had someone at the dealership that was willing to get him one.

They seem to be a good engine, but the engineers stated that the power will become extremely unreliable above 400HP, where the 13B would support 1000+

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Noodle

posted on 1/9/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
but the engineers stated that the power will become extremely unreliable above 400HP, where the 13B would support 1000+

Is that because it's designed for N/A instead of the 13B's forced induction?
Autocar mag in the UK recently ran a story on the next gen RX-7, stating that inital versions would be 1.6 300bhp N/A and a supercharged version is being worked on too. That would presumably point to the 400bhp reliability problem being in highly stressed N/A trim.

All speculation of course, but does anyone have any more information?

Cheers,

Neil.

MattWatson

posted on 9/9/03 at 04:00 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, I will find it...

(NOTE: my information is "american" so likely the UK and Europe version will be much better suited to everything...)

what Sports Car International says is that the lack of (extreme) tunability will come from the ports being moved from the outside of the rotor housing, to the side of the housing.

This was done for emmisions purposes...

But ultimatly, who would need more than 400 horses in a locost!!?

(note USA/CAN cars are 250HP for the "high power" version and 210 for the "normal power version" Hummmmm....)

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackie

posted on 9/9/03 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hicost has > 400bhp in his Locost And I think that's without nitrous, which it has also. Cossie engine.
I'm going to have to shake his hand this weekend

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.