Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hello! Pointer please gents
Dangle_kt

posted on 2/8/07 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hello! Pointer please gents

Hi,

First post, been a reader for a long time and had plans for ages but thought I'd finally put a post up.

I am an avid biker, but with a baby on the way (my wife is due today, so if I don't reply - you know why!) I'm thinking of restricting my bikes to the track only, this leaves a pretty large road going gap to be filled by a locost project!

I am ok with a spanner - but only on bikes, a measure of my experience - top end rebuilds, clutch changes, bike stripped to major componants - but never split cases etc. but might attempt it with a bit of a safety net.

I can not weld or fabricate - so am a complete novice from that point of view.

I am on the very shabbiest of shoe strings, and despite checking my emails every 10 mins for the last two days (you think I'm joking!) I doubt I'll be fortunate enough to be given that free 75% build sooooooo....

Options

I am thinking part built abandond type projects - any words of warning?few concerns. If I buy a part build, will just ANY body work fit? and how hard is it to fabricate/weld stuff up?

Depending on price I am also thinking of buying a complete zx9r or blade, stripping them down and selling off all the parts I won't need - thereby getting myself an engine for nearly free - BUT, exhaust manifolds - how much are these? I am guessing the more mainstream (blade/zx9r/cbr 1000) the cheaper?

anyway - that the first of a very great number of questions I will be asking.

Thanks very much for the help in advance - this seems like a very knowledgeable forum, I look forward to getting to know you all better.

oh, and if anyone has a BEC based in Liverpool, give me a shout as I'd love to play CO-PILOT for a few mins...really see what I'm getting into. (and before any funny comments about robbing anything, I am from Lancashire - Ormskirk to be precise, and moved here recently)

zxrlocost

posted on 2/8/07 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

keep an eye on ebay and look for a part built theres loads of different makes some bad some good

when buying a part built you can be buying someone elses mess keep that i mind

any of the engines you mentioned are great I wouldnt bother with the stripping the bike part I think youll end up with a load of junk in your garage

you need a aftermarket system they cost a good few hundred quid

get yourself a ride in BEC and youl see what your in for!

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

LBMEFM

posted on 3/8/07 at 04:32 AM Reply With Quote
pointers

Hi
Firstly I would recommend that you do not buy a part built kit, it will end up costing more than a new one unless you are very lucky. A new exhaust system from MK Sportscars will cost approx £370.00. You do not need to weld with almost any supplied kit builds. How about a Robin Hood 2B?, they can be on the road for £3,500 incl doner & vat. Some would dis-agree but I had a "Hood" for several years and it was fun, great owners club too. Take a look at www.robinhoodsportscars.co.uk also worth a look www.lolocost.com & www.donorworld.co.uk.
All the best, see you on the road soon.
Barry.

sammy

posted on 3/8/07 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I was initially going to do a BEC but for some reason changed my mind at the last minute and decided to do a V8. I think a BEC would have been a lot easier in hindsight! I also decided to have a go at doing a complete build from scratch (for various reasons), but it is taking a very long time!

Get yourself a rolling chassis if you can, easiest is probably to buy a tatty old CEC that is already registered, tidy it up and convert to BEC.

I moved the other way from Liverpool to Ormskirk! And will hopefully be doing some bike track days next year if my elbows healed properly!

Cheers,
Sammy

Build diaries...

02GF74

posted on 3/8/07 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I went this route and it can be cost effective.

Unless you build 2 identical kits side by side (one new, other part built) then it is hard to say what the saving is but compaing the price of mine to completed, I am probably save about £ 1,000; certainly not more than that.

Downside is you are buying potentially some one else's f*** up - there is a reason why the build was stopped, usaully it is because lack of time/interest/money.

Also you don;'t get your first choice of parts e.g. engine, instruments etc. but you can always change them.

If you go that route, then take someone who knows about kit cars to look it over as part-bult kits are not worthy of continuatio but breaking for parts.

Coose

posted on 3/8/07 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Buy a rough pre-registered car, either car or bike engined. Drive it round for a bit to see which bits fall off, and if it's car-engined it'll give you an insight into having a se7en before you do the right thing and ditch the boat anchor!

You'll pick up something tatty but road-worthy for £2-3k (probably with a Pinto or X-flow), but it'll be a good starting point!

Spin 'er off Well...

donut

posted on 3/8/07 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have just bought an unfinished project which is going to save me loads of work and loads of money.

If you can wire a plug you will be fine!!

Welcome to the NUTHOUSE!!!!!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wyatt

posted on 3/8/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Go of a full build and tidy it up if you are happy with it go ahead and change it to BEC

www.bynxy.co.uk

DarrenW

posted on 3/8/07 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Unfinished project should net you quite a few bits and of course a pre-built chassis. Unless its a high quality unfinished (and probs a higher cost) then be prepared to strip it right back and rebuild it as you want it. If an unfinished locost id start by checking all dimensions and welds etc then when you know you have a good foundation move on to the bolt on bits.

Wethere it saves you money or not is very subjective. I have a feeling those who say no will be because they have added to the spec as they have got more confidence and end up with a higher spec car than first on plan.

To give you an idea on this, you can get a good kit for £3k with some extras. Most people then think 5K is a good budget. In theory it is but then you see the shiny and flashy bits. Before you know it there is a £800 digi dash instralled, nice stainless exhaust, gorgeous aloys etc and you have just added £2K. To be honest though this si why our hobby is so great. There arent any rules and no limits as to what you can add, so sit back, enjoy the ride and smile.

As to you spannering skills - sounds to me you know more than you give yourself credit for. In the main these cars are easy to build. Its the time and keeping the inspiration on the boil that can cause the problems.
I built mine when wife was pregnant with second, therefore a young baby when i was finishing. I never built during the days at weekend, only on nights when kids were tucked up in bed. Even stopping to have tonsils out (nasty!!!) i managed to get it on the road in 15 months and loved every moment of it.

take time to get right car and go for it.

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/8/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
cheers for all the great replies - interesting that there is a split of opinion over a few things...

Seeing as both points of view make sence, I'll have a think on - though I imagine final say will go to my bank balance :p

Good advise about taking my time picking a project, thanks.

I am thinking blade, mounted in a abandoned roller - though tims vfr project has me interested - the only sticking point on that one is it needs the exhaust and as it is a V4, it will need a very complicated manifold - or twin exhausts - one on each side which will probably cost more than the whole project!

Thanks - more opinions welcome

Oh, and any NW BEC owners who don't mind showing off their beasts - get in touch plz.

worX

posted on 3/8/07 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
you have a U2U!

Steve

andybod

posted on 4/8/07 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
hi mate have you had a look at the ebay link, in the bargains elsewhere section there is a part built bec locost for £600 on a buy it now worth a look
Dangle_kt

posted on 4/8/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andybod
hi mate have you had a look at the ebay link, in the bargains elsewhere section there is a part built bec locost for £600 on a buy it now worth a look

Hi,

Yes mate, I mention it earlier ^^^^.

It's a VFR800 engine, which (as i'm sure you are aware) has a v4 engine config, meaning duel manifolds and a BIG bill to get it going

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.