Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Muffett Differential
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/8/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Muffett Differential

Has anybody fitted a Muffett Diff. (IL unit, front engine, prop to rear)?
I'm going to try this out after the current competition season, not wishing to carry on with the tunnel lubrication systems (reverse gearboxes of various flavours).
Seems the ideal way, possibly with a single carbon shaft, but I'll see what the lengths all come out at when I've welded the differential in.
Any experiences much appreciated, my thanks.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/8/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of guys in the RGB use them so may also be worth asking either on the Yahoo list (link in my avatar below) where some of them frequent, or the RGB forum.

road warrior

posted on 8/8/07 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
We use these diffs in the MNR/R1 in Australia. They are very good.

Initially they look expensive but when I added up a the costs of a new Freelander, LSD centre, seperate reverse box etc. they were not much more and are a neat solution. Plus the final ratio is easily changed by drop gears so that alone is worth it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 8/8/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
we have fitted quite a few now, nice piece of kit and now track proven, only thing that is a slight pain is changing drop gears

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marc n

posted on 8/8/07 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
yep thats the beauty
the blue cover at the front houses the drop gears which means you need a sliding rear prop to enable you to remove the input flange on the unit to remove the case to change the drop gears
shame they didnt do it so the drop gears where housed in the rear
but i suppose it would be more money as the current setup of the box is two halves cast with the billet front cover and billet side plates

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
marc n

posted on 8/8/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
or another variant ( it is physically much bigger ) which may or may not be a prolem depending on your application, but i think its a reasonable amount cheaper
here

TimC

posted on 9/8/07 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
IF (for god-sake don't tell the GF) I build an RGB car in a couple of years' time I'd definately use one of the above, It seems so much better than the alternative methods of gaining reverse.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/8/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, comments much appreciated. I've pretty much decided that the Muffett is what I need for 2008, good to hear that there are a few in service out there.

Can anyone help me with a good source for driveshafts (Dayson?)? Once again, I guess that I'll have to get the diff in the car before I can take meaningful measurements, etc. I've got both Freelander and Sierra differential and driveshaft set-ups at present, the shafts on both are heavily over-engineered (and heavy), so I don't want to adapt them to fit.

BTW, car is a road-going Westfield, currently GSXR750 powered and leading the ASWMC sprint championship!

www.aswmc.org.uk/sprint.htm

falcor

posted on 1/12/07 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Where can I find more info and prices on the Muffet unit? (Google was no help)
road warrior

posted on 1/12/07 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Falcor

Web site ---Muffett Gears

They look like they are updating the diff page but give Neil a call and I'm sure he will help you out.

Sonja

progers

posted on 2/12/07 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Racing feedback on Muffet diffs

I know a couple of people who have used these diffs in RGB racing. They have both had regular failures. The bottom line is that, while they have improved the reliability of the unit over the years, it is not good enough yet.

Even this season there have been regular failures, the only way to avoid it is to regulalrly take it out and have it serviced by muffet.

One owner in particular had two failures this year (even though it was rebuilt midseason) with the last failure losing him the chance of finishing the last race of the season and a chance to win his class. He is now rebuilding his car without the muffet diff.

I think for road use it may be OK, but for the rigours of racing (and regular trackday use) in anything more powerful than a blade, I would give it a miss.

The elite racing transmission is an unknown quantity yet, although it does look stronger than the muffet diff.

Hope that helps

Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.