Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: high octane fuel
alanr

posted on 9/8/07 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
high octane fuel

Has anybody tried the Shell. BP or Tesco high octane fuel and seen any benefits - I've been using "V" power in my Blade for some time and am certain it gives a better response --- or am I just wasting my money

A

[Edited on 9/8/07 by alanr]

graememk

posted on 9/8/07 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
makes my indy run like a bag of nails

coozer

posted on 9/8/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine into club racing used to buy Avgas from a pump at Newcastle airport.

He swore on it as it made his CBR600 absolutley fly!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RazMan

posted on 9/8/07 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Simply putting a higher octane fuel in your tank won't make a real difference unless you adjust your timing to take full advantage.
I got my engine mapped for V Power and if I now use standard unleaded there is a marked performance drop.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 9/8/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't Avgas more like diesel?

R1 engines, in stock form, will run on 91 RON. You can buy ignition timing discs that advance the base spark timing to make use of 95 RON. 97 is probably a waste of money.

Octane doesn't give more power, it gives more knock resistance. You can increase your compression ratio and advance your ignition timing on high octane fuel without getting knock. It is these changes that give you more power. Some engines are tuned for the good stuff and "detune" themselves if they detect knock so that the'll tollerate low octane fuel. If your engine isn't tuned to take advantage, you won't get the advantage of the higher octane rating.

tegwin

posted on 9/8/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Jet 'A' is like diesel....

but im assuming he is talking about the 100LL (100 octane low lead) fuel they put in piston engined aircraft...I have always been tempted to stick some in my car, but think I might melt something

[Edited on 9/8/07 by tegwin]

zxrlocost

posted on 9/8/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
normal unleade is fine AL

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Moorron

posted on 9/8/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
if my cbr10oof is designed to run on 91 stuff and i put in 95 (i use 98 at the mo) AND advance the ignition by 3.5 degrees would i notice a difference in power? or maybe keep using 98 and advance it even more?????

i have already had some cranks sensor discs made up for when i turbo charge it and may need to retard the ignition to prevent nocking. Might aswell make a selection of them

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

ash_hammond

posted on 9/8/07 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Does the same thing apply with my PINTO engine. Only use it if the timing has been played with to suite?

Ash

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

mookaloid

posted on 9/8/07 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
My Pinto has a raised CR and will only run decently on high octane fuel.

Even if I adjust the timing it still pinks on regular unleaded.

The key thing is you can use the good stuff in any motor but you won't necessarily get the benefit if you don't retune.

You might run into difficulties if your motor is set up for the good stuff and you try running it on cheap regular supermarket petrol.

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 9/8/07 by mookaloid]

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Hellfire

posted on 9/8/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Driving 45K per annum I do regular testing just to see if it does make a difference. There has been much controversy about this very subject a couple of years ago...

I personally do notice a difference using premium fuel, slightly up on power but mpg increases significantly.

Others however feel it a load of shullbit.... I'm sticking with my original statement!

Steve

Canada EH!

posted on 9/8/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
high octane fuel

As someone who flies in a piston powered aircraft, be careful with avgas. 100 low lead was brought about to allow 100/130 and 80/87 octane requirements to be blended. One of the problems with avgas is a lower flash point to prevent air bubbles forming in the fuel at altitudes above 5000 ft. This makes the engines harder to start in the cold and doesn't really help the performance motorsports individuals are looking for.
Testingone

posted on 9/8/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
linky

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti cles/news/news.html?in_article_id=458805&in_page_id=1770

Saved this link a while back,makes for interesting reading.Has anyone used it?
Wonder if its all its cracked up to be.

RazMan

posted on 9/8/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Quote " In a recent performance test, a tuned Porsche GT2 gained just over 100bhp running on BP Ultimate102 compared to an untuned model running on ordinary fuel. "

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Coose

posted on 10/8/07 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
quote:

Jet 'A' is like diesel....

but im assuming he is talking about the 100LL (100 octane low lead) fuel they put in piston engined aircraft...I have always been tempted to stick some in my car, but think I might melt something

[Edited on 9/8/07 by tegwin]

You certainly won't melt anything, in fact the opposite! AVGAS 100LL (which has an octane rating of 101.9) burns cooler and slower than 95/98, which as mentioned above allows higher compression ratios to be used.

In a 'normal' motor you'll most probably see a drop in power and response.

Also, it may smell nice but it's pretty lethal stuff as it apparently contains four-time more lead than old leaded 4-star!

I run my TZ250 GP bike on 100LL as it wouldn't last 30 seconds on normal pump fuel....

Spin 'er off Well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.