Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carbon light fixings
nitram38

posted on 11/8/07 at 04:25 AM Reply With Quote
Carbon light fixings

I bought some carbon fibre headlamp shells from a guy on ebay.
They don't have any fixings etc so I used the fittings from a normal set.
The only problem I have is that the removeable rim does not have a lip for the lamp securing wire clips.
The rim will have to be fixed with self tappers to the bowl but I still want to be able to rotate the lamp for settings at sva etc.
What has anyone else used to secure the lamps in the rim?
Photos appreciated

Cheers Martin

[Edited on 11/8/2007 by nitram38]

thunderace

posted on 11/8/07 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
email him and ask how to fit them im sure he will tell you.
nitram38

posted on 11/8/07 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
I have asked several times and he said he would get back to me but never does.
They are good quality except the lamp bezel has no rim to locate clips. It is a trade off for using carbon.
I don't want too many screws around the bezel.
I am just looking for a neat idea.

designer

posted on 11/8/07 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
One of the perils of using Ebay. Motor factors are, many times, cheaper.

It's called marketing, that what makes us think it is cheap. Think of the first car-boot sales, great value; now a rip off.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
swalf3

posted on 11/8/07 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
carbon headlamps

I have used these lights-they are of good quality.Drill a hole in a small piece of ali plate slightly smaller than the nut size you will be using(i used 3mm)then press the nut into the ali plate.There are four dips in the rim of the bowl,I glued this captive nut in the dip at 120clock and 6oclock.You can now screw through the bezel into the captive nut.I used button head 3mm.If you have problems getting them send me u2u and I will post you some.Also glue the light unit to the bezel with sikaflex.Under the bezel rim glue four small strips of 6mm foam to give support . ATB swalf3
nitram38

posted on 11/8/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
swalf3, I plan on doing the rim fixing as you suggest with captive clips, but what worries me is that it I sikaflex the headlamp in, then there is no rotational adjustment if the lights are not correct, also if a lamp gets broken/chipped, then I might damage the carbon, getting them out.

designer, the shells are perfect and work out cheaper than some of the main suppliers. I paid £80 for my pair of Carbon shells. The closest you can buy for that money is carbon look ones. Not everything on ebay is a poor knock off.
These look good and are a lot lighter than the steel ones.
As I am building a bec, low weight is everything.

[Edited on 11/8/2007 by nitram38]

swalf3

posted on 11/8/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
carbon lamps

Nitram,After you have drilled the north south locating holes of the rim make sure they line up with the arrow on your headlamp before you glue them in.Seal the light units to the rim with a little silicone, when set put three small blobs of sika between the edge of the light and the carbon rim.To remove just slit the sika with a Stanley blade.You also have adjustment radially because of the ball arrangement at the mounting point.If you got the units from J McNicol he will sell you spare rims.Cheers swalf3
nitram38

posted on 11/8/07 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
swalf3
I did get them from John and your method sounds good.
You have convinced me!

Cheers Martin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.