Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT - aeroscreen and seats
dsapsfo1

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
MOT - aeroscreen and seats

Quick couple of questions for you all:

1 - I've got a Luego Viento, fitted with an aeroscreen and therefore no wipers, washer etc. Will this get through the MOT, or shouldI just remove the screen for the test to be sure?

2 - One of my harnesses is broken at the buckle, can I remove the passenger seat and just MOT it with one seat and one harness? (yes, I will be buying new harnesses, but can't get them in time).

Thanks

gingerprince

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dsapsfo1
1 - I've got a Luego Viento, fitted with an aeroscreen and therefore no wipers, washer etc. Will this get through the MOT, or shouldI just remove the screen for the test to be sure?

provided the aeroscreen is just that and isn't in your line of sight then it's fine for MOT.

Benzine

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
2 - Pretty sure you can take the seat out, one of the writers in PPC magazine said they did this once
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan__wright

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
1) not a clue.

2) no, your car will be registered as a two seater, therefore it must have two seats and belt / harnesses, same problem if you remove your rear seats in a 5 seater, have to change it to a 2 seater.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

dsapsfo1

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies...

Pics of screen are here - http://www.saps1.plus.com/luego/

welderman

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
ok for screen as my Indy passed and so has my mates, both at different test stations.
As for seat think you might need a new harness.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

nick205

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
My Indy passed an MoT on Monday with a Mac#1 aeroscreen fitted - no query at all.

As above I think you'll need to have a serviceable harness fitted to the passenger side - anyone local you coyuld borrow one from for a couple of hours until you get new ones sorted?

gingerprince

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
that screen will be fine. mine is bigger (oo er missus) and didn't cause an issue at MOT.
donut

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
As long as the aeroscreen has radiused edges you will be fine.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
At my first SVA I had only one seat fitted (cos they were blooming expensive and I was still saving up for the second) and they said it was a no-no 'cos I'd described it as a two-seater car and it only had one seat. I suspect MOT would be somewhat similar....
dsapsfo1

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks to everyone for such quick replies. I'm now ringing around to try and get a harness here in time. The screen will stay where it is for now.

Thanks

DarrenW

posted on 5/9/07 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Big rich may be able to advise. I have heard quirks in the test in that they can only test what is available at the time but then there are the construction and use regs to consider. Im sure there is a rule that says after a certain date you must have seat belts fitted but dont know if this still applies if the seat is missing. My instints tell me they will expect a servicable belt to be fitted. What adds a question is a recent post about windscreens where it was suggested if you fail for a crack in the screen there is a loophole in that if you remove the screen and present the car without, then there is no crack and it can pass.

dsapsfo1

posted on 5/9/07 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Well a replacement harness is being made today at TRS and will be with me tomorrow and the car is booked in for Friday. I'll leave the aeroscreen on and if they fail it, just unbolt it and put in for the retest

Thanks again...

bigrich

posted on 5/9/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
just remove the seat as a tester you can only test it how its presented at the time of test and record the number of passenger seats fitted

seat removal is a well known solution to belt faults

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

iank

posted on 5/9/07 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
just remove the seat as a tester you can only test it how its presented at the time of test and record the number of passenger seats fitted

seat removal is a well known solution to belt faults

With the new computerised MOT will the DVLA get a flag showing V5 and car are inconsistent? There was a thread here suggesting that happens when the tester discovers a kit still registered on the donor V5.

No idea if the DVLA would actually follow it up if they did get informed, but probably best to get the harness sorted if you can just to avoid potential hassles.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.