Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BONNET BULGE
westdown

posted on 11/9/03 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
BONNET BULGE

Hi

I need a power bulge type thing to cover the carb on a CVH engine. Does any one know where I can buy such a thing, as I do not have the kit to make it. Plastic or alloy ok. Needs to be 2-3" high.

Dave

jonti

posted on 11/9/03 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure this has been discussed before if you trawl back a bit, and there are several commercial offerings around.
I was going to use the side of an old Mobike petrol tank though....did it once before on an an old Anglia that I had and it looked ok. just an idea.
Cheers
J.J

OFROK

David Jenkins

posted on 11/9/03 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
It was asked before - I was the one who asked! Didn't get any useful answers, though.

I shall watch this space, as I will probably need a bulge (or leave the filter sticking out...)

DJ

timf

posted on 11/9/03 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
try http://www.mcrallying.net/
jonti

posted on 11/9/03 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
It was asked before - I was the one who asked! Didn't get any useful answers, though.

Waddaya mean ?!! I thought my answer was very useful and having SUZUKI written on the bonnet looks really cool too.

Good link though TIMF......if a little pricey..might have a re-think

[Edited on 11/9/03 by jonti]

OFROK

GO

posted on 11/9/03 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking about nicking the bulge off of a mitsu 4x4.
GO

posted on 11/9/03 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
like this...

and this...

As far as I can tell there completely seperate from the rest of the bonnet - there's a rubber moulding between the bulge and the bonnet. There's a 4x4 scrappers quite close to me so I'll have a look there (when I get somewhere near that far through the build) or worst comes to worst enquire at a dealar

[Edited on 11/9/2003 by GO]

thekafer

posted on 12/9/03 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
fun with annealing

quote:
Originally posted by westdown
Hi

I need a power bulge type thing to cover the carb on a CVH engine. Does any one know where I can buy such a thing, as I do not have the kit to make it. Plastic or alloy ok. Needs to be 2-3" high.

Quote from Dave

I reallize you probably already know how to do this,since you more than likely formed your rear ali panel.

Forming aluminum is not all that hard to do well.It's the annealing without blasting through your hood bit thats tough for me

If you have a acetalene set-up, a hammer and a bad attitude your ready!

set the torch to a carborizing flame and cover the desired area in soot(and your garage in little flying black worms that some how your wife will find later settling into the livingroom carpet) and give yourself a little extra around it to pull stretching metal from.

set the torch to a nuetral flame.Now,while constantly moving the torch in circles heat the area until the soot starts to burn away.

Now that you've blasted a hole in your formerly beautiful hood, Fabricate another one and buy an aluminum bump from J.C.Whitney. (page 132 in the current catalog)

Glad I could help
Fletch

carcentric

posted on 12/9/03 at 01:33 AM Reply With Quote
Or . . .

How about using an air scoop mounted backwards? It would allow hot air to escape, but wouldn't allow rain in like a forward mounted scoop would.

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

blueshift

posted on 12/9/03 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Another way to tell when you've reached the appropriate temperature for annealing aluminium: rub liquid soap onto it, then play a blowlamp over it until the soap turns brown.

kudos to my old CDT teacher for that one

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/03 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
What is CDT? Its the sort of thing that my METALWORK teacher would have taught us!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/9/03 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blueshift
Another way to tell when you've reached the appropriate temperature for annealing aluminium: rub liquid soap onto it, then play a blowlamp over it until the soap turns brown.

This process works really well. I can recommend it.

CDT = craft and design technology? my kids have something similar. In my day, 25 years back, art, metalwork, woodwork, etc were all seperate subjects. I took all year to make a rake when I was 14, its a similar timescale building a car

atb

steve

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/9/03 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Why don't they just call a spade a rake anymore

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 12/9/03 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
and whilst we're changing names, why not call a hoe a bitch?
stats

posted on 14/9/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Luego nosecone

As i too am using a cvh engine was contemplating this but was told today that luego's nosecone and scuttle are 4in's higher than "normal" if you haven't already got them like me it may be the way to go. maybe a nosecone and scuttle coming up for sale soon??

stats

westdown

posted on 15/9/03 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all, not sure there is a answer there. Good idea Stats but the car is +4.

Dave

[Edited on 15/9/03 by westdown]

GO

posted on 15/9/03 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
westdown,

Check out Luego's Viento bodywork, I think its +4, worth a look, might be lucky.

mad4x4

posted on 8/10/03 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blueshift

Mine told me the same thing. But he was a "tech" teacher

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

mad4x4

posted on 8/10/03 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Blow torch / cutting torch is all well and good but don't the fumes off of the fiberglass bonnet kill you. How do you get rid of the charing????

I have the same'ish problem of using the 1.8CVH but with down draught twin 40's. I'm going to need a buldge or scoop for the filters. But my bonnet is Fiberglass.

Does anyone know if MK have or supply Bonnet scoops. In that trendy "midnigh blue" color.

Or any other options.

[Edited on 8/1010/03 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.