Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cooling problems
No. 67

posted on 9/9/07 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Cooling problems

Hello to all..first post here.

I run a Locost with a Fireblade engine in a race series here in N.Ireland. I had major cooling problems in my last race and now plan to replace my Micra radiator with a Polo rad.

Can someone tell me what I need (besides the Polo rad which I have!) to make this switch. I know I need a header tank but assume there are specific pipes etc?

Photos from a car running a polo rad would also be great.

Cheers

Allen

Hellfire

posted on 9/9/07 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi 67,

Are you making best use of your existing radiator? Nose cone blanked off internally, forcing all air through the Rad?

Are you allowing hot air to escape? Bonnet vents, side vents, wrapped headers etc.

IMHO there will be no significant gain through swapping radiators without allowing proper air flow.

Are you sure there are no airlocks? Have you tried water wetter? 50:50 water antifreeze?

These are the questions I would be looking at first before making any changes...

Steve

britishtrident

posted on 9/9/07 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
The rads aren't much different in cooling surface area, something else is wrong.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

No. 67

posted on 10/9/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks lads, good to hear I don't need to change anything. I had been advised to build an inner airflow at the front of the nose cone so no air can get round the side of the rad so I'll do this.

Steve - I'm using water wetter at the recommended mix. Are you saying to use 50/50 antifreeze and water wetter? What's a wrapped header - do you mean the manifolds?

Thanks for help.

Allen

[Edited on 10/9/07 by No. 67]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.