Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet
the dave

posted on 16/9/07 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet

At the moment i have no screen but will have an aeroscreen soon.

I am looking for a helmet that will simply be used for stopping bits smacking me in the face so i am not looking at spending a small fortune as it isn't primarily used as a safety item.

Can anyone recommend where to look, most of the car helmets i've seen are pricey.

I'd ideally like a black helmet with a dash of orange if that makes any difference. Any advice would be great.

Cheers.

Humbug

posted on 16/9/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
For that purpose only, i.e. not for motorsport, a bike helmet should be sufficient. Whatever you get, make sure you try it for fit first, and don't just go by the marked size.

FWIW I got a Shark bike helmet for about £50

russbost

posted on 16/9/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a brand new (but dusty, old stock) helmet off ebay for £10 , wouldn't be good enough to go racing, or have a "proper" accident with but fine for keeping flies out of yer teeth & bugs (see earlier comment today) out of your eyes

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nitram38

posted on 16/9/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Caberg V2 which I bought on ebay. It cost about £85.
My prime reason for buying it is an internal flip down tinted visor.
This means no fumbling for sunglasses when turning into the sun.
It keeps the bugs off too!

Paradoxia0

posted on 16/9/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I got mine from a bike show. (The BMF Tailender in Peterborough abuot 3 years ago). If it is the end of the season and then end of the show prices tend to fall to get rid of stock

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

Dazza

posted on 17/9/07 at 01:57 AM Reply With Quote
bike shop

most decent large bike shops have plenty of lids from £29.95 upwards.

spend what you can, but no less than £50 really. caberg(earlier comment) are a good buy, and they do a face up one, so easy to open/talk etc if needed.

again, make sure they are a slightly tight fit to start, as they will mould to your head soon enough.

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

the dave

posted on 17/9/07 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
Ithought there was a difference in shape in the bike and car helmets due to the position of the riders head on a bike, does this not make things awkward?
David Jenkins

posted on 17/9/07 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
The car helmets are a better shape when you're travelling very fast, but at road speeds you're unlikely to be bothered when wearing a bike helmet. Car helmets are also much better if you're in a crash and the car catches fire - less of a problem in a seven than in a single-seater with a six-point harness.

RazMan

posted on 17/9/07 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
The 'Nitro' range of helmets would be ideal - around £30 on eBay and excellent value for money.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 17/9/07 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Takachi bike helmet from my local bike shop. £50, fits my head nicely and keeps the flies/grvael out of my face.

As above it's important to try them on before buying as helmet fit is a very personal matter

the dave

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get to try a caberg trip on today, the large fitted nicely.

However i am torn between the caberg trip and the V2

I like the idea of the flip face, but have a feeling it may generate more noise.

Does anyone know anything that may help me make up my mind?

If a large trip fits me, does anyone know if a large V2 would fit the same

Cheers.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/9/07 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a caberg flip-front helmet (Justissimo) - and you do get a load of wind noise. It's the only thing I don't like about it, as everything else is fine.

If I get another helmet, it'll probably be a normal full-face caberg, non-flip.

Dazza

posted on 19/9/07 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
you get a little more noise

i have the shoei flip up, its fantastic, but nearly £300 when i got it, but on a bike who cares what it costs!!!

the caberg flip i had before and it was a great helmet, a little noisier, but easy to use etc with the flip, depends what you intend, if you think you will need to speak alot to some one then get the flip, or get a full face normal and a "bike mike", they work well. and about £10 to £15 on ebay.... so you can chat to ya passenger, or they can scream at you to slow down, hence why i dont use one any longer lol...........................

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.