Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 close ratio gearbox
DaveFJ

posted on 15/9/03 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 close ratio gearbox

I was told by some bloke on a stand at donnington that the original type9 gearbox fitted to the XR4i was close ratio?

He also said that the XR4x4 is just a type9 close ratio with an extra box bolted on that can be removed

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

DaveFJ

posted on 16/9/03 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
So no-one knows anything about this? - find that hard to believe!
timf

posted on 16/9/03 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
xr4i had closer ratios in the box but the problem is that the 1st motion shaft is longer than a 2.0 t9 box and needs to be changed if using a 2.0.
ChrisW

posted on 16/9/03 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I know a chap who reckons he could build a hybrid RWD and 4x4 type 9 box with the 4x4 bellhousing (suitable for v6), input shaft and gears with a RWD back end. I was going to get him to build me one (I have both boxes) but in the end I found a Capri v6 box (v6 bellhousing and input shaft and RWD) for £50 so I decided it was far less hassle. Don't know about the ratios tho - main problem is the input shaft and bellhousing as the 4i was a v6.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blueshift

posted on 16/9/03 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
got a cologne v6 4x4 gearbox I'm trying to get rid of if anyone wants to pursue this. re post in for sale / wanted.
Fast Westie

posted on 16/10/03 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
The V6 boxes have a long input shaft and the XR4i box is used in Cateringvans. They are not close ratio, just a higher 1st gear 3.36:1 instead of 3.6:1. You only get a proper close ration box if you buy a Quaife or Tran-x gear kit

To change an XCR4x4 box to 2wd you need to swap the tailshaft housing and selectors from the 2wd box

The car in front is a Westfield

ned

posted on 16/10/03 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Probably a silly question, but are the xr or 4x4 boxes any stronger than the pinto ones? just wondering if they might be better for the vauxhall. Anyone know what power the t9 will cope with? I understand the highest power engine to run on one as standard is a v6, 150bhp ish.

thanks,

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TL

posted on 16/10/03 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ned,
not a silly question at all, as I was going to ask exactly the same thing! I believe torque is the real gearbox killer, and I want to know the max torque capabilty of the type9. I am in the very early stages of building an RV8 spitfire on a VERY tight budget, so with LT77's going for silly money, I intend to use the type9 I already have from a sierra donor. I am modifying / shortening a Range Rover bellhousing to achieve this, but I now have my doubts as to whether the type9 can handle the 200lbf.ft of V8 torque. The top BHP doesn't bother me too much, as I don't intend to tune the V8 above the stock 150BHP(ish).
Can anyone tell me
a) max torque a type9 can handle
b) ditto MT75
Before you guys tell me I'm making a lot of work for myself, I already know this, but that's all part of the fun of being an (associated) locoster. That said, if anyone knows of a dirt cheap (even knackered) SD1 LT77 I might be interested.

ned

posted on 17/10/03 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
there ae often rover v8 boxes going on ebay.... worth a search.

My vauxhall will probably be pulling around 160-175lb/ft, I believe a rover v8 as stock is around 200-210lb/ft?

Ned.

[Edited on 17/10/03 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

Fast Westie

posted on 17/10/03 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
An MT75 will take the power and torque of a Cossie engine, type 9 is limited, but you can get gear kits for them.

Standard boxes have next to useless first gears in a 7 type car (too low ratio)

The car in front is a Westfield

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.