Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bugging Mobile phones!!!!!!
cryoman1965

posted on 19/9/07 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Bugging Mobile phones!!!!!!

Can your company bug/listen in to your phone calls on your company mobile phone if you are allowed to make personnel calls on it.

Can they use anything gained against you.

Thanks
N

[Edited on 19/9/07 by cryoman1965]

Peteff

posted on 19/9/07 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Do you work for the DVLA

or some other covert government agency ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

cryoman1965

posted on 19/9/07 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
or some other covert government agency ?

No!
Just a straight forward question.

N

iank

posted on 19/9/07 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
The technology exists on certain mobiles for calls to be recorded. If you have a recent S60 phone for example.

Whether they can use information gained in a personal call if they are authorised is less clear to me not being a lawyer, but the idea (officially) behind the software is to cover trading organisations against their staff insider dealing, so I'd say they could use the information in certain circumstances.

Whether they can officially do anything is more or less irrelevant though so I'd never say anything on my mobile that could get me into trouble.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MkIndy7

posted on 19/9/07 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
If the fone belongs to them then i'm pretty certain track it! for location (Like adults tracking their childrens).
Although I'm sure they are supposed to inform you that you are being tracked, just like you have to put up CCTV signs if people are being recorded in public etc.

There has been cases with Companies where things are tracked but they SHOULD be turned off when people have their breaks and dinners (and after work if paying the appropriate tax) etc as this time is their own and of no business or interest of the company.. if they cannot provide this then they have been forced to remove them.

cryoman1965

posted on 19/9/07 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
so I'd never say anything on my mobile that could get me into trouble.

Mmmmm. That may be the problem!
N

nitram38

posted on 20/9/07 at 04:49 AM Reply With Quote
Tracking companies have to send your mobile regular text messages to ensure the user agrees to being tracked. You have to return them in order for the system to work.

DaveFJ

posted on 20/9/07 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
See Here

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

mistergrumpy

posted on 20/9/07 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding was that it is not legal for people to listen in on peoples calls/conversations unless of course you're some government agency in which case permission from the home secretary has to be sought.

andyharding

posted on 20/9/07 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Dealing with companies now not the police who have special powers - when recording calls on party must know about the recording to be legal.

On another note, relating to email, web, txt or any other communication technology provided by work unless they state in your employment contract that they may monitor your usage then there is a presumption of privacy and they cannot use any evidence gained from monitoring your usage as the basis for dismisal etc.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

thunderace

posted on 20/9/07 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
dont talk to them till you have see a lawyer it free for 1st visit.

[Edited on 20/9/07 by thunderace]

BenB

posted on 20/9/07 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
It'd be illegal. Rules are simple about recording phone calls (landline, mobile or VOIP) in the UK. If both people involved doesn't know (ie haven't been informed) it's illegal. So even if the work contract said they could record phonecalls they'd have to inform everyone you spoke to.... I suppose maybe they could just record what you were saying- bit of a grey area....

Of course a lot of buisnesses would do it but not use the evidence in official dealings....

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/9/07 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
i wanna know what you've been saying now!!!

Unless you are a pretty important person who they have serious doubts over, then I wouldnt panic - and if you important enough to invest all that time into - then you will have access to budget info which will indicate the financing of the team of peopel it would need to screen all the calls made... think about it - how long would it take to listen to every call made?? It would have to be a pretty well resourced dept.

So unless your making a habit of calling a competitor to organise exchances of info I wouldnt sweat it.

iank

posted on 20/9/07 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thus my caveat about not being particularly relevant whether it's legal to use the information against you - it's too late once they've heard it and they will remember.

If it gets to a tribunal/lawyers it's too late anyway, your career with that company is dead anyway - best you can hope for is a couple of grand "bugger off quietly" money.

If a company/manager really wants to get rid of an individual it's not usually that hard. They would be particularly dense to use dubiously obtained evidence to try (though many managers really are that stupid).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Dusty

posted on 20/9/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
You don't work for Ferrari by any chance do you, Cryoman?
omega 24 v6

posted on 20/9/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
You don't work for Ferrari by any chance do you, Cryoman?

PMSL

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

caber

posted on 20/9/07 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Nah! he works for Mclaren

Caber

nick205

posted on 20/9/07 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Nige,

Make sure they're not reading this thread too!

grusks2

posted on 20/9/07 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Im involved with this kind of work with a certain netwrok providered. No basicly, I call can will only stand up in court if at the begining of the call a statement is made stating its being recorded.

If its a mobile to mobile, there is normally a bleeb in the background warning you.

There also things inplace at the security centres for the netwrok providers that listen for key words that will start recording that conversation.

So basicly unless you work for MI5 or MI6 noone can listen in-your safe

[Edited on 20/9/07 by grusks2]

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

iank

posted on 20/9/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
The above software doesn't bug in the conventional meaning of the word and the operator isn't involved anywhere, the phone itself captures the voice data directly off the microphone and earpiece when running the software.

AFAIK a company can install whatever it likes on a phone they provide and can do with any data captured (including voice data) pretty much what they want within the law. Unless they tell you the calls are all recorded they can't officially use any information against you, but it doesn't prevent them listening to a recorded call if they've grabbed it - though they should have a policy of discarding any private calls if they are allowed.

Having said all that unless you work as a trader there aren't many people who go to the effort and expense. However all companies I know of get itemised bills and may have a hotlist (I know one company I worked for got very unhappy with people receiving calls from a certain recruiting company that was stripping out key staff. I'm pretty sure anyone in McLaren getting a call from an Italian mobile/phone will be getting a hard time right now

p.s. I work for a major mobile phone software company, indeed our product is one of the os's that host the above spyware

--
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.