Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance for SVA
Shamrock GS

posted on 23/9/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance for SVA

Got my test on 10th Oct in Glasgow - had hoped to beg or borrow a trailer but no offers. May have to drive but Caber's experience has put the wind up a bit.

What's the situation with insurance - can anyonw recommend a good company to approach? I assume all I need is a covernote?

If I have to drive to Bishopriggs I will go in the middle of the night to avoid morning motorway traffic.

Cheers

Gary

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

jambojeef

posted on 23/9/07 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I know how you feel.

I took out ins with Adrian Flux which was cheap and came highly recommended. What they didnt tell me was that I had 21 days to give them the reg number or theyd cancel the policy!

In the end I argued the toss and got a refund only to pay out again when the nxt SVA was due! This time I had 9 days hand before the reg no. deadline but its not ideal with Flux and if id failed the SVA a 2nd time it could have been expensive!

How about a friendly recovery company or garage to get u there instead?

Geoff

nitram38

posted on 24/9/07 at 04:48 AM Reply With Quote
Footman James do a build policy for £90 and you can pay top ups of around £15 per day for road use for sva.
I had the same Flux experiece

brynhamlet

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
Adrian Flux gave me 28 days to get the car SVA'd and registered from the day the insurance became valid. They are a broker not an insurance company and it seems to depend which company they use.
nitram38

posted on 24/9/07 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brynhamlet
Adrian Flux gave me 28 days to get the car SVA'd and registered from the day the insurance became valid. They are a broker not an insurance company and it seems to depend which company they use.

They gave me the ultimatum using NIG insurance. Strange that my policy is now with the same company via FJ.
It would seem that this one is one of AF's rules.

Shamrock GS

posted on 24/9/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Getting nervous about the whole thing now. Think I will try the trailer option again. I take it the test doesn't require insurance?

G

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

whitestu

posted on 25/9/07 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same story on having a limited time period to get registered from all the insurers I asked. I went with Graham Sykes in the end.

Stu

macdave69

posted on 28/9/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I went with Arian Flux today ,I purposely asked the "what if the car fails the SVA and I run out of time" question and they told me to give them as much notice as possible if I believed the 28 days would expire and they would extend the cover.

not sure what gives here but it was on a recorded line

Shamrock GS

posted on 29/9/07 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting news - I cant really see the problem for the insurance people. They only have to specify that the policy covers the journey to and from the test, otherwise its just 'build' cover.

Will try adrian flux and see how I get on.

Looked into the trailer route but it will cost more than the insurance

Cheers

Gary

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Shamrock GS

posted on 29/9/07 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Just had Indespension Trailers on the phone - a car trailer for 24 hrs = £30. Couldn't be bad at that!

G

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.