Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: daft question
Mark.

posted on 25/9/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
daft question

If someone was to remove the windscreen and wipers from their landcruiser would they be able to submit it for an mot?.

Cheers,
Mark

bigrich

posted on 25/9/07 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
yes but would be worth disconnecting the washer pump to avoid the squirt in the eye senario i take it you have a large crack/damaged area on the screen?

If it aint there it can't be tested

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

NeilP

posted on 25/9/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC there is something about the vehicle being presented in the condition (state) as provided by the manufacturer - i.e. If built to have a windscreen then should have one fitted.

I know that many (older) vehicle have fold down screens but again, as manufacturer intended?...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

robinbastd

posted on 25/9/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Mark - You know the answer - take it to ######## ###### in ##########

Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Fozzie

posted on 25/9/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
ooOOoo ...well... it really is down to the MOT tester as to how strictly he sticks to the rules...

The 'stickler' is within his rights to say, that it (land cruiser) left the factory with one, so therefore it should have one now......

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

russbost

posted on 25/9/07 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Rubbish - vehicle is tested as presented, if it's got no screen it needs no wipers & washers. What the insurance co. would have to say if you were driving without a screen & had a bump is another matter of course.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
blakep82

posted on 25/9/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
once took a honda for MOT knowing fine well the wipers didn't work right (the switch was broken and you have to hold the switch up to make them park properly, so had a bit of string tied to the heater controls to hold it up)

took it for MOT, it failed. the switch happened to be the same as a rover one, but fitted on the opposite side of the steering wheel so all the pictures would have been upside down.

went to a breakers to try and swap it, but it didn't work right. think the pulg was wired differently too.

expalined to the tester i'd looked for one everywhere, but without luck.

"nothing in the rules to say a piece of string can't be used to make it work..." he said.

"besides, it's fine now and will break tomorrow" i said.

tester let it go.

moral of the story... well there isn't one, but its up to the tester

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mark.

posted on 25/9/07 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Not my truck but a lad i work with who managed to bust the screen when he took it out to repair the scuttle area...numpty hoofed tad too hard and cracked the screen

Mr R, would that be the wee place that mot'd the toyota street racer even with a cracked headlight?

Mark

Scoob

posted on 26/9/07 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
AFAIK as long as you say that its used for dry days only (I.e when they wont need to be used) you can get away with it.. Its all new laws that came in about a month ago, i had to learn them for when i working in a garage

i THINK its the same for headlights etc, you can its for day use only, and they have to take your word for it.. So it should be ok if you state it wont be used in the rain etc..

DarrenW

posted on 26/9/07 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
So how does the construction and use regs / law fit into this Q then? Is that seperate to MOT?
I know the thread is only concerning the MOT itself but what would happen if said vehicle was in every day use (with MOT, insurance, tax etc).

MikeR

posted on 26/9/07 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
What would happen if you 'failed' due to say a headlight, told them its "day use only" and got the MOT. You then fixed the headlight and wanted to use the car at night - would you need a new MOT?
MikeRJ

posted on 26/9/07 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
What would happen if you 'failed' due to say a headlight, told them its "day use only" and got the MOT. You then fixed the headlight and wanted to use the car at night - would you need a new MOT?

In the case of most lights, if fitted they have to work.

blakep82

posted on 26/9/07 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
^ so just whip them out then? if they're not there thy can't be tested?

similar to bike tests then i suppose

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.