Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tacking stainless with a Mig?
CraigJ

posted on 27/9/07 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Tacking stainless with a Mig?

What wire and gas do i need to be able to tack stainless steel together. Im going to be making a turbo manifold from stainless but i dont have a tig so i plan to tack it with a mig then have it welded by tig after its been mocked up.

Mig is a 150 amp.

NigeEss

posted on 27/9/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Stainless wire and argon (pure) gas. Both available from Machinemart etc but the small argon
bottles do not last very long at all. They hold much less than the same size CO2 ones.

the_fbi

posted on 27/9/07 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I know its not to everybodies taste, but I've had some lovely results with an arc and stainless welding.

Cut & shut about 2" out of a bit of 2.5" T304 tube on my tin top's exhaust, at a high stress point too.

No leaks, no fractures and it looks great.

For a simple mockup/tacking application it may be a lot less hassle/cost than Mig (if you have an arc/rods).

Alex B

posted on 27/9/07 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes and especially if you`ve have an inverter mma. You could actually tack it with argon and mild steel wire then grind out one tack at a time when getting it tigged

Alex

daviep

posted on 27/9/07 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would use whatever is in your mig at the moment, it'll absolutely fine, especially if you grind the tacks back off when it's tacked up with TIG. It's what I would do.

Davie

nitram38

posted on 27/9/07 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Personally I would use whatever is in your mig at the moment, it'll absolutely fine, especially if you grind the tacks back off when it's tacked up with TIG. It's what I would do.

Davie

Same here

NS Dev

posted on 27/9/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Third that one, though as an aside will second the use of an arc welder if its thicker stuff like stainless pipe (not tube) for a turbo manifold.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

RazMan

posted on 27/9/07 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just wondering ... Wouldn't using normal mig wire contaminate the stainless causing it to rust?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 27/9/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
same same here!
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
quote:
Originally posted by daviep

Davie

Same here

posted on 27/9/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO

Tacking S/S with M/S is the welding equivalent of wiping your **** with a broken bottle.

Sorry to be controversial, but it really is a welding no no.

Atb
Paul G

Chippy

posted on 27/9/07 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
If your just going to tack it, then I agree, just tack with your normal wire and gas. When it goes for tig welding have the welder grind out the tacks as he/she goes. Will work fine. Ray.

RAZMAN, if you weld S/Steel with standard gas and wire then the weld will rust, and that part of the stainless that has become part of the weld pool. As for strength, it makes little, or no difference.

daviep

posted on 28/9/07 at 05:12 AM Reply With Quote
I don't doubt that this probably isn't the correct way to do this, but many people don't have the money/fascillites to be tooled up for every job and for me it's about getting the job done to an acceptable standard (and cost).

It's always good to hear how to do it properly sorry if I sound a bit aggressive.

Davie

Pulsar

posted on 30/9/07 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Contrary to popular belief, welding stainless steel isn't difficult. You'll find the weld pool is a little more sluggish, but that's about it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.