Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driveshaft angle.
Delinquent

posted on 29/9/07 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Driveshaft angle.

Trying to get the engine and transaxle where I want it to sit (low as pos) but not really sure what is a "sensible" angle to run the driveshafts at. Obviously for maximum life they want to be as straight as possible, but unless I want the cofg height to be akin to a tractor... they aren't going to be!

I've angled the engine and box 5 deg longitudinally, which puts the engine much closer to where I'd like it, but still, it's not really low enough. Inclining the Driveshafts toward the wheel by around 5 deg certainly helps - but is 5 deg too much, could I go to 7 deg, which would put the engine pretty much spot on in the right place, or would it be better to incline the engine another couple of deg? I didn't want to incline the engine longitudinally tooo far as its' going to make the rear bulkhead awkward, as well as making the front of the engine virtually inaccessible.

Also not sure what effect inclining the gearbox is going to have on lubrication...

Ho hum...

[Edited on 29/9/07 by Delinquent]

mark chandler

posted on 29/9/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
5 degrees is nothing, imagine the angle a CV joint goes through on full lock with a FWD car.

Straight is not ideal anyway.

Regards Mark

Delinquent

posted on 29/9/07 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
5 degrees is nothing, imagine the angle a CV joint goes through on full lock with a FWD car.

Regards Mark

Hmmm that's really a rather good point, thanks, hadn't really thought of it like that!!!

Suppose even with full deflection it's not going to increase much more - was just concerned that this'll be it's "normal" running angle. Think I'll stop worrying so much

Lippoman

posted on 29/9/07 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

Regards Mark

Agree, 5 degrees is no prob for CVs, but why is straight not ideal on CVs?
I know UJ need to run at an angle due to the needle bearings in them, but have not heard any suchs claims on CVs.
Ralt is making a selling point of the fact they have straight driveshafts, for less power loss on their F3 car.
Not arguing the point, just asking for information...

Nosey

posted on 29/9/07 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
You shouldn't run them straight cos the ball bearings wear a spot in the grooves ,because of the constant running in the one place. I could be horribly wrong, of course
russbost

posted on 29/9/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Driveshafts csn run anything up to 30 degrees without problem, can't say I'd recommend goig to the extreme tho'.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Lippoman

posted on 30/9/07 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
Tri-pod or Rzeppa?

Are we talking tripod or Rzeppa style CV joints? The performance of these differ.

I think the straight running not being ideal has a bearing on the (needle bearing) tripods which do not allow very large angles (but allow plunging), while the Rzeppa can use large angles but wear more the larger the angle (and do not allow plunging (except for the DOJ and "Plunging Disk Type Cross Groove" types)).

gttman

posted on 30/9/07 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I set mine up so that the drive shafts go dead straight at 2inches of bump... this means that they point down from the gearbox to the wheels at ride height.

Running the car at 5-7deg is about right for ride height, just check what degree they are at on full bump and droop.... if you less than 20deg I'd not worry (if they are normal CV's).

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

gttman

posted on 30/9/07 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nosey
You shouldn't run them straight cos the ball bearings wear a spot in the grooves ,because of the constant running in the one place. I could be horribly wrong, of course

I think your spot on.... on a race car they are regularly changing under acceleration and cornering so unlikelly to wear in one possition.
However on a road car you may sit for some time in one possition (on a motorway for example) and so you need some angle to prevent this.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Delinquent

posted on 30/9/07 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, another problem ticked off the list

At this rate there is a distinct danger I might get somewhere....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.