Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: THROTTLE BODIES ON A ZETEC
THE BEAR

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
THROTTLE BODIES ON A ZETEC

right here goes iam looking at the throttle bodie kits what would you lot fit on a 2lt zetec on a 1999 to get the most bhp from it many thanks all
JAG

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'll say it first, get some bike throttle bodies off Ebay.

For a 2 litre Zetec the GSXR1000 would be ideal

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

MikeRJ

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
If money was no object them maybe some roller barrel throttle bodies in conjunction with cams, lots of head work, big valves etc.

However, if the rest of the engine is standard this would be a complete waste of money and you might as well use some bike throttle bodies or carbs.

THE BEAR

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
but i have no ecu so looking for a kit
twybrow

posted on 2/10/07 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
It is quite an open ended question. Do you have a price in mind? Do you want to do any of the work yourself? Does the setup need to be upgradable?

If you just want an off the shelf kit to 'bolt on', I would look at the Jenvey kits, but they aint cheap!

Dusty

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cheapest bolt-on I have seen is from Dave Colledge at Retro Ford at about £1500. Includes jenveys, rail, sensors, manifold and emerald ecu. All top quality stuff. Certainly would work a treat but a lot of cash.
ST170 manifold, GSXR bodies and a megasquirt would come in at about £5-600. Engine already has all the ford sensors. Plenty of work for you to do but the result would be close to using a bolt-on kit.

[Edited on 2/10/07 by Dusty]

jimbona2

posted on 2/10/07 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
scholar engines maybe? give them a call
ned

posted on 2/10/07 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
...or mountune or burtons or race line or etc etc will prob all sell you a similar kit.

Off the shelf will likely be jenvey throttle bodies and a branded ecu with map and loom/fitting kit, diy will be make your own manifold, megawotsit and bike throttle bodies...

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 2/10/07 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to butt in, ive got gsxr600 throttle bodies and a 1.8 zetec, i need a manifold for them and someone above has mentioned st170 ??? what do they go for and where do i get one ??

Cheers !

zetec

posted on 2/10/07 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Off the shelf kit makes life easy but cost. Good news is that you can transfer to another engine with ease, car will run very well and tuning will mean no need to upgrade parts again. Rescued attachment Picture 004.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 004.jpg

jacko

posted on 2/10/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Tim Windmill on here has just done this try a u2u to him he used megasquirt
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 2/10/07 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
sorry to butt in, ive got gsxr600 throttle bodies and a 1.8 zetec, i need a manifold for them and someone above has mentioned st170 ??? what do they go for and where do i get one ??

Cheers !

Try a search but i believe you get a manifold off an st170 and cut it down to the stubs which can then be used to fit bike carbs or throttle bodies to.

beware, I've got yellow skin

Dusty

posted on 2/10/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
The ST170 variable timing inlet cam zetec, badged duratec has individual throttlebodies and the manifold below which is a bit cheaper than getting a Custom manifold made up. Doesn't need cutting but doesn't mate with bike throttlebodies perfectly as the runners are oval but it does work. Doesn't line up with the ports perfectly either so you need to make a ten mm thick manifold plate to match them up. And the bodies need respacing which then messes up the fuel rail alignment but thats what I did. Wish I hadn't bothered and had gone for a Bogg Bros manifold.
ST170 manifold
ST170 manifold

[Edited on 2/10/07 by Dusty]

scutter

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for picture size, but yes ST170 manifold and GSX throttle bodies bolt up nicely and you can keep the ford injector rail if you wish.

[img][/img]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

THE BEAR

posted on 3/10/07 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
scutter & zetec have you any more pics of your engines iam looking for how the belt got on many thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.