Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: some corroded rivets...
robbydee

posted on 2/10/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
some corroded rivets...

i used a single pack of rivets for my stone guards, but some have corroded other are perfect..

any one else had a problem with a batch?

or do you think mine may be mixed,?

Gonna replace all now..sugestions..

JohnN

posted on 2/10/07 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Were they aluminium, stainless, or what?
caber

posted on 3/10/07 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
If ally rivets in stainless they will corrode. Best to get steel or stainless rivets.

Caber

Syd Bridge

posted on 3/10/07 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Monel is the answer to all the corrosion problems. Nothing will touch them.
Hellfire

posted on 3/10/07 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge
Monel is the answer to all the corrosion problems. Nothing will touch them.

But dont use them when securing two metals, then the rest of the metal chassis/component suffers as it becomes the sacrificial cathode.

Replacing aluminium rivets is cheaper and helps protect whatever it is touching.

BenB

posted on 3/10/07 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
see http://www.assda.asn.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=18533

for a description of the cause....

Syd Bridge

posted on 3/10/07 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

But dont use them when securing two metals, then the rest of the metal chassis/component suffers as it becomes the sacrificial cathode.
Replacing aluminium rivets is cheaper and helps protect whatever it is touching.

Been 'the accepted norm' in yacht work for generations. Have a good look at masts and all sorts of other attachments on yachts, and they operate in salt water.

Maybe the yacht fraternity have been doing things wrong for all these years? I don't think so.

If you've got corrosion problems, get some Zinc 186 paint, or a similar zinc rich alternative, and paint (dip)the rivets and holes as they go in. It also helps seal things up, and stop the corrosion in the first place. Wipe off the excess after.

It also helps to use closed end rivets.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 3/10/07 by Syd Bridge]

Peteff

posted on 3/10/07 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
get some Zinc 186 paint,

Does Zinc 186 have more zinc in it than Zinc 182 ? If the stone guards are in the fibreglass rear wings how will the chassis become sacrificial?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 3/10/07 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Been 'the accepted norm' in yacht work for generations. Have a good look at masts and all sorts of other attachments on yachts, and they operate in salt water.

Maybe the yacht fraternity have been doing things wrong for all these years? I don't think so.

If you've got corrosion problems, get some Zinc 186 paint, or a similar zinc rich alternative, and paint (dip)the rivets and holes as they go in. It also helps seal things up, and stop the corrosion in the first place. Wipe off the excess after.

It also helps to use closed end rivets.

Cheers,
Syd.

Syd... we have no problems with corrosion - however just to point out the reason for Yacht's and things. Boats, Ships and yacht's (and other things where dissimilar metals are joined by rivets and studs etc) have a large metal plate welded onto them (usually below water line or in the water) which dissipates (re-routes) the electrolytic reaction between the Monel/Aluminium/Stainless Rivets and other dissimilar metals.
Therefore, they haven't been doing it wrong but realised the importance of this reaction and used the sacrificial plate method to protect the rest of the Ship, Boat or Yacht. They also use this priciple on certain Hot Water Sytems where metals which are not similar, exist.

MORE INFORMATION

I know it isn't relevant to this instance - but as stated in my original sentence "when securing two metals"... ergo - if using rivets to secure two dissimilar metals on a car - you may be reducing the corrosion resistance in another part/area of the car; maybe suspension parts which are open to the elements etc...

Pete - as stated "when using two metals" obviously (unless he has metal arches) this is not relevant - hence the new paragraph.

Kindest Regards

Steve

[Edited on 3-10-07 by Hellfire]

Hellfire

posted on 3/10/07 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
see http://www.assda.asn.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=18533

for a description of the cause....

Cheers Ben.

Syd - out of curiosity have you used Monel Rivets to secure an Aluminium Floor on to the Steel Chassis?

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.