Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I want a ford V6 with RWD, how do I do it
GuyA

posted on 19/9/03 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I want a ford V6 with RWD, how do I do it

What is the easest way I can have a V6 2.8i or 2.9i and have it rear wheel drive?

Do I simply bolt on a TYPE9 or an MT75 gearbox from a normal Sierra? Do they fit?

Can I buy a doner car that will be like this anyway?

So many questions.

JoelP

posted on 19/9/03 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
i think some came as rear wheel drive, failing that someone will know what to do, i suspect a new bellhousing.

ned knows about that, he said he'd got one made for him the other day. not been in yet today though....

definitely possible though.
#
click on search, and type in ford v6. earlier this month there was a thread that said about a capri gearbox. lots of usefull stuff in that thread, quite long. sorry, i don't know how to post a direct link! chris said he had one for sale at the time...

[Edited on 19/9/03 by JoelP]

GO

posted on 19/9/03 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
gusters, you're help is required I believe...

Ned's using a VX motor so he prob won't know the answer, plus I heard he was bunking...

Viper

posted on 19/9/03 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Capri 2.8i came with both 4 and 5 speed boxes,
XR4i came with 5 speeds both of these cars are rear wheel drive.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie

posted on 19/9/03 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
try a granada 2.8, cardinal hearse (imagine the expression on the missus's face when you roll up in one of them!!!!), or the above mentioned capri's, or xr4's

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 19/9/03 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Reliant Scimitars used them as well but they are a bit sought after. They were the older 3 ltr engines.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/9/03 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
some of my new website waffle covers the gearbox. take a look

AFAIK all v6 2.8 / 2.9 were rwd

basically they are RARE on the 2.9

The type 9 has a longer input shaft on a v6 - you cant bung any one on.

Perhaps you can find a scrapped 2.4 V6 - like I have. get a box from that....3 years ago I saw 2 in 6 weeks going thro auction. Didnt see a single manual 2.8 / 2.9 in that time.....

btw - as mentioned, neds going vauhall, nowt to do with a ford v6.

atb

steve

further ps - my site also has new pics and info of my engine if you need to see what a v6 cologne really looks like.

[Edited on 19/9/03 by stephen_gusterson]

ChrisW

posted on 20/9/03 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
The differences between the 'normal' type 9 and the v6 one are the input shaft - it's about an inch longer on the v6 - and the bellhousing. I'm told a normal type 9 will work on a v6 but but, due to the lack of clearance, the clutch release bearing will get destroyed within a few hundred miles.

Easiest way to run the Ford v6 IMHO is to find an XR4x4 for the engine and rear end (it's LSD) and get a Crapi 2.8i gearbox and sump for it. Swap the XR4x4 bellhousing on to the Capri box as it's an alloy one

Alternativly, if you can find an

XR4/XR4i - Complete donor having the correct engine, box, front uprights etc. They are quite hard to come by however!

Granada v6 manual - Even rarer than the XR4s but will have the correct engine and box. Diffs are often LSD but will be the 7.5" version which doesn't fit all chassis (Fits the Luego but not the MK AFAIK)

Capri 2.8i V6 - Good if you are planning on a traditional IRS locost, especially a +4. Has a nice wide axle and the correct engine and box

Failing all that I've got a 2.9i lump in the garage, minus it's sump. Comes with starter, injection system, loom and ECU. Also got an alloy bellhousing for it and I can dig out a rear diff too. £80 for the engine, £25 for the bellhousing.

Chris

My gaff my rules

GuyA

posted on 22/9/03 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replys,

I had a look on Ad Trader (click) for Capris and found some V6's with manual gearboxes so they are around, this is a good lead thanks.

Wasn't the XR4 and XR4i a 4 cylinder 2L? am I mestaken? I didn't think it was a V6 2.8

I thought that all Granada V6's were automatic, I didn't realise they made manual ones. Another lead, Thanks.

What does AFAIK mean?,

I can't get the link to 'locostbuilder' to work.

What does IMOH mean?

At the moment I'm working on a Robin Hood, it's lots of fun and I must finish it befor I start the next thing.

[Edited on 22/9/03 by GuyA]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/9/03 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just look at your address bar at the top of the browser. Take the 's' off locostbuilders, and hit return.

you will get my site.

AFAIK - as far as i know

IMHO - in my honest opinion.

the 2.4 certainly came manual - I have one! Although I cant verify if any 2.9 did.

atb - all the best

steve

Browser

posted on 22/9/03 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Gawd, that's a list and a half!
XR4 in the UK came with the 2.8i V6 and both 2.8i & 2.9i appeared in the XR4i. Accros the pond they had the Mercury Merkur XR4Ti which IIRC (If I Remember Correctly) was a 2.3 4 cylinder turbo.
AFAIK - As Far As I Know.
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion.

GuyA

posted on 23/9/03 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
TFATAIRAI (thanks for all the advice I realy appriciate it).

It looks like an XR4i V6 is just the ticket.

My plan for the future (when the Robin is finished) is to build a car from scratch. I like the look of the old cigar shaped racers form the 1950s that Sterling Moss drove. There arn't many kits like this around so I intend to make it from scratch. Chassis, body pannels ect. Lots of these cars were build by ametures and they are simple to build.

I need to do a lot more reserch into the chassis befor I start, I don't want to get to SVA and find some horrible fault

[Edited on 23/9/03 by GuyA]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/9/03 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.hallettfamily.org.uk/pagesronart/jagkit.html

thats a pointer to a car called a Ronart (use google to find more) that looks a bit like a 50s racer.

uses a jag v12!

atb

steve

eddie

posted on 23/9/03 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
if you just want a V6 locost there are of course alternatives to the ford V6 that came as a RWD package...

Volvo made a very torquey V6, why do you think all those carryvans you pass every bank holiday have a volvo in front of them....

The rover V6 is IIRC an all alloy block (lighter), of a newer design than the ford V6, and a bit less thirsty

then if you just want 6 cylinders the beemer straight 6 is a legend of an engine

just some food for thought if you are still at the planning stage........

Please feel free in advance to: correct, update, ridicule or laugh and point at any comments made by myself in this post....

stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/9/03 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
isnt the rover a v8?

and dont start hippy off

if you can get one and mate it to a box, the V6 2.5L fitted to the late cavalier, at 170hp, is a great engine. It makes the vauxall good for 7.5 and 145.

In a locost......

atb

steve

[Edited on 23/9/03 by stephen_gusterson]

JoelP

posted on 23/9/03 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
i once had a vaux v6 in a vectra, probably different to the cav engine.

good engine but i ruined it by changing the exhaust after some arse bent it (rear ended), the gloit at ALPHA TYRES AND EXHAUSTS charged me 350ish to replace the full thing but left the lambda sensor out. i think this was responsible for the resulting warm misfire that caused the car to get knocked in. full power for 5mins when cold then it misfired under load.

but i digress.... great lump.

2.0 turbo though?!

GuyA

posted on 24/9/03 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Right, I've made my choice, it's going to be a 2.4 V6 granada manual that come with the type9 gearbox. I have found a few examples for under £500. I can stick a 2.8 on it in the future if I feel the need.

The XR4 was V6 manual RWD from 1983 to 1985, they are well expenseve (£1000 and up). in 1990 the XR4 was re-launched with a 2L DOHC.

The Granada 2.8i and 2.9i did come with a manual gearbox but they are like hens teeth.

The Capri 2.8i also came with a manual type9 gearbox, they are around but you need a second mortgauge for one.

The type9 box for a V6 has a different input shaft from the one used in the Pinto engine, i.e. you cant use your Pinto gearbox on a V6.

I even found a cardinal hearse! that made me laugh, thanks Eddie.

That's the running gear sorted. Next I need to think about the chassis.

JoelP

posted on 24/9/03 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
maybe this is near you? cheap as chips:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2433998869&category=36631&rd=1

saves a hell of a lot of effort.

Noodle

posted on 24/9/03 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Reliant Scimitars used them as well but they are a bit sought after. They were the older 3 ltr engines.

yours, Pete.

Eat your words Pete . Can't get rid of ropey ones for love nor money. On Scimweb there's a dismantled one for £50. SE5 GTE's all had the 3 litre Essex. Later SE6's ones used the 2.8 Colognes.

Cheers,

Neil.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 24/9/03 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
That makes two of us then!

If I ever upgrade I have 3 options.

1. 2.9 engine
2. low pressure turbo
3. the cossie 2.9 - provided it fits

atb

steve

ps

when I bought mine 3 years back I paid 260 at auction for a 1988 2.4 granada with FSH 2 owners 70k miles

quote:
Originally posted by GuyA
Right, I've made my choice, it's going to be a 2.4 V6 granada manual that come with the type9 gearbox. I have found a few examples for under £500. I can stick a 2.8 on it in the future if I feel the need.

The XR4 was V6 manual RWD from 1983 to 1985, they are well expenseve (£1000 and up). in 1990 the XR4 was re-launched with a 2L DOHC.

The Granada 2.8i and 2.9i did come with a manual gearbox but they are like hens teeth.

The Capri 2.8i also came with a manual type9 gearbox, they are around but you need a second mortgauge for one.

The type9 box for a V6 has a different input shaft from the one used in the Pinto engine, i.e. you cant use your Pinto gearbox on a V6.

I even found a cardinal hearse! that made me laugh, thanks Eddie.

That's the running gear sorted. Next I need to think about the chassis.

eddie

posted on 27/9/03 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
isnt the rover a v8?

and dont start hippy off

yes there was the RV8, coppied from a buick V8, which was coppied from an old BMW design

but at the start of the 80's rover wanted to go racing BIG style so they cut 2 cylinders off the V8 (literally in the case of the prototypes) and stuck it in the boot of a metro to create the 6R4

and thus the rover V6 was born

as with every thing in the world motorsport the money for development needed to be recouped, so the engine got severely detuned and dumped in rover 800's as the flagship engine....

they are quite underrated in the kit industry, and IIRC can be fitted upto the spec of a 6R4 engine (tho probably run a bit lumpy for a road car)

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/9/03 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
isnt the rover a v8?

and dont start hippy off

yes there was the RV8, coppied from a buick V8, which was coppied from an old BMW design

but at the start of the 80's rover wanted to go racing BIG style so they cut 2 cylinders off the V8 (literally in the case of the prototypes) and stuck it in the boot of a metro to create the 6R4

and thus the rover V6 was born

as with every thing in the world motorsport the money for development needed to be recouped, so the engine got severely detuned and dumped in rover 800's as the flagship engine....

they are quite underrated in the kit industry, and IIRC can be fitted upto the spec of a 6R4 engine (tho probably run a bit lumpy for a road car)

Are you SURE about the rover 800 having the 6 cyl 'rover engine'.

I am 101% sure that the 2.7 V6 and the 2.5 V6 were Honda - says it in big letters on the top of the engines in a scrap yard near you too!

atb

steve

PS Liam on this list is using a honda V6 from an 800....

eddie

posted on 27/9/03 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
like it says at the bottom 'please feel free to correct...'

could be wrong, but there was a thing in a kit car mag 3-4 months ago extoling the virtues of the rover V6

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/9/03 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
the rover 75 thats made right now has V6 2 litre and V6 2.5 litres engines in it - they could well have been talking about those engines.......

quote:
Originally posted by eddie
like it says at the bottom 'please feel free to correct...'

could be wrong, but there was a thing in a kit car mag 3-4 months ago extoling the virtues of the rover V6

Noodle

posted on 28/9/03 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
The 6 cylinder 6R4 engine, and the Jaguar XJ220 both used a cut-down Rover V8 as their basis.

The V6's in the Rover 800's were Hondas.

The V6's in the 75's are Rover's own K-series V6. This is also used in the Freelander.

For what it's worth, my mate used to snap cranks on a regular basis on the K-series V6 development programme when hooked up to a dyno. Although I'm not suggesting that this shortcoming extends to production engines.

Cheers,

Neil.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.