Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Glaring error with alloys! Tiger Supercat
T1GER_SUPERCA7

posted on 30/10/07 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Glaring error with alloys! Tiger Supercat

Can anyone tell me if I have made a glaring error with my wheels on my Tiger Supercat?

I have gone through the painful process of searching for a set of wheels for my Tiger. After finally finding a set of wheels I was happy with I ordered them. They have arrived today and as I'm off work, thought it was going to be a perfect day........

Gone to fit them and whilst the offset and PDC are perfect the nuts/ stud system will not work.

The hubs are ford sierra so have a 108PCD and require nuts on the outside of the wheels as the studs are connected to the hubs. The nuts fit perfectly inside the wheel but the holes in the wheel do not allow me to get the socket in to tighten - Have I ordered the wrong wheels?

I look forward to your advice/ amusement or just down right mickey taking!

A very confused/ embarassed builder!
Chris

stevec

posted on 30/10/07 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Slimmer socket?
T1GER_SUPERCA7

posted on 30/10/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I didnt make myself that clear - the nut itself almost touches the inside of the bore in wheel.

I have seen in the past studs which fit on the outside and there must be a threaded hole in the hub - I am presuming that these are the hubs required to suit these wheels - I am hoping I am not the only builder to have made this mistake? Wishing!!!??????

Guinness

posted on 30/10/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Try Speedshack.

http://www.speedshack.co.uk/Wheelnuts.htm

They seem to know their nuts!

Mike

matt_claydon

posted on 30/10/07 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
It wouldn't help if you were using wheel bolts with threaded hubs instead of nuts on studs - you still wouldn't get the socket over the bolt heads!

Sounds like you need wheel nuts with smaller heads but the same thread size, don't know if such a thing is available though.

Hammerhead

posted on 30/10/07 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Can you get cap head bolts that will fit? Yoiu can then use a hex bit on your torque wrench.

locoboy

posted on 30/10/07 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
or long nuts (excuse the phrase!) if they were long enough to protrude out from the wheel by enough to get a socket on them you would be ok.

if not commercially available maybe a trip to your local engineering shop would help and the could make some from some stock hex bar if you gave them a nut to copy the taper and thread from.

ATB
Locoboy

T1GER_SUPERCA7

posted on 30/10/07 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, just had a look on the speedshack website and it seems they have exactly what I am looking for - alternatively I will get some made.

Many thanks for your speedy advice.

Chris

cryoman1965

posted on 30/10/07 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Did the nuts/studs come with the set of wheels?
This is the norm afaik.

Nige

T1GER_SUPERCA7

posted on 30/10/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Nige,

Thanks for the response.

The nuts did not come with the wheels. I got the nuts from the local ford garage which were the correct ones for the sierra hubs. I think I need to go for extended nuts which will obviously protrude enough to get the socket on.

Thanks

Chris

[Edited on 30/10/07 by T1GER_SUPERCA7]

Guinness

posted on 30/10/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Extended nuts! Sounds painful!

Pleased you found what you were looking for!

Mike

scottc

posted on 30/10/07 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Theres normally a difference between nuts/bolts for steel wheels and those for alloys.
PeterW

posted on 30/10/07 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Can you post a link to which Alloys you've got...? I've got a Supercat and I need to decide on what offset and size to go for, so any pointers are useful

Cheers

Pete

Paul TigerB6

posted on 30/10/07 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful with protruding nuts as you could end up failing SVA due the the non-radiused edges. You should be fine with a set of wheel nuts that uses a hex head adaptor key like.... http://www.speedshack.co.uk/images/Tuner%20nut%20with%20adaptor.jpg .

You may also need to look at fitting longer wheel studs if your hubs were originally fitted with steel wheels. These are an inference fit anyway so not overly difficult to fit with the right technique.

Danozeman

posted on 30/10/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Are they deepish dish wheels?? They often need sticky outy nuts..

You can get nuts with different hex sizes.

As said above if the nuts stick out past the edge of the rim u will fail sva.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

T1GER_SUPERCA7

posted on 30/10/07 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Oops!!

Gents,

After finally getting through to www.potn.com (where I got the wheels) I found that they should have sent them with the delivery - 5 hours later the delivery driver came back as they packaged my nuts seperately (as painful as it sounds!) - so feeling slightly red faced! Thanks to you all for the advice though - A truly brilliant forum.

As you can see by the number of edits - its been a long day!

PeteW, they are Boss 17" Contour in Gunmetal finish with 205/40/17 Toyo's. Sat them next to the old Ford 13" pepperpots i've got on at the moment to work on the car and they do look big but the darker grey gunmetal tone them down a little. I've got Wilwood 4 pot calipers and 305mm x-drilled and grooved discs so I personally think they look the dogs at the moment. Obviously each to their own. If you send me your email address I'll mail some pics over when they are on - tomorrow hopefully.

The wheels have a 35mm offset but I recon you could easily go for 35, 38 or 40 offset. Anything smaller and I think you will protrude the rear tub.

Chris.

T1GER_SUPERCA7

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
All / Pete,

I have now managed to put the wheels on. Many thanks for all your advice.

Pete,

Go to www.nwatoc.org.uk (North West Area Tiger Owners Club) and click the link to members. In the Cat section I am the last name on the list (Chris Parker) and the new pics are there. You can also see some of the other owners cars to see what wheels they have gone for. It also includes my new fibreglass seats from JK Composites - bargain at £175 and they really are very good quality - as good as the Caterham ones I have seen at shows for a fraction of the cost.

Regards

Chris

[Edited on 7/11/07 by T1GER_SUPERCA7]

Hellfire

posted on 7/11/07 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.