Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative Sevenesque bodies
Philippe

posted on 31/10/07 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
Alternative Sevenesque bodies

I am contemplating to give my seven a slightly modified body. My area of interest is improved aerodynamics and I am looking for ideas to fair-in :

1) rear fenders,
A sort of beveled shape that would deflect the wind away from the fenders in the Elfin V8 style

2)the windshield. What can we do? Would a hardtop be worth the trouble?

What do U think?
Thanks.

Phil

[Edited on 31/10/07 by Philippe]

Simon

posted on 31/10/07 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
Phil,

A more aerodynamic body is definately achievable, it's just going to depend how much time you want to spend on it.

Bodywork enclosing the front suspension would be a start, so (and these aren't very good examples) have a look at things like the Dutton Phaeton (UK kitcar from early 80's) and the Morgan Aero 8. Then you could go to the mainstream manufacturers for inspiration such as Mazda MX5. Obviously you'll have to make changes to the chassis so the body will fit.

Do you need a roof (will it be removeable); you may want doors - conventional, suicide/gulwing/scissor/drop. In the UK, that would add quite a bit to the build as door catches etc need to be to regulations, so you'd be wise to check local regs. Then again, will you be able to get in/out with doors/roof - for all I know, you may be 8' tall

I'm toying with the idea of a roof, but I need to get the rest of my cage (ie front hoop and front/rear bar connections) done, then I may have removeable screen and roof (roof will have integral wipers with simple plug in connection to pre-wired switch).

If you have built your chassis, take some pics and print them large. Then sketch over them. You never know, there might be a masterpiece in the waiting

ATB

Simon

David Jenkins

posted on 31/10/07 at 05:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philippe
I am contemplating to give my seven a slightly modified body.

Phil,

Had you seen this thread?

Epona

It's a very long story but worth reading to the end.

David

Humbug

posted on 31/10/07 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
This was my thread a few days ago relating to a different style of low screen (i.e. no wipers) to make it more aerodynamic

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=76594

bjw970s

posted on 31/10/07 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this totally self built Car, built by a friend of mine who is an aircraft engineer.

http://www.rafmsa.raf.mod.uk/gallery2/25.jpg

It is an evolution of 5 he has built over the years.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Philippe

posted on 31/10/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Locost alternative styling

Thank you guys for your contributions. There are many ways indeed to improve both the look and airflow of a locost and some of you or your friends have approached the matter in the most professional way...

At this point I have a rolling chassis and this is my first build so my ambitions are limited. I have looked with admiration at the work Donkervoort has done on its SR06 (Hockenheim 2006) and its full body. I am intrigued too at the Elfin V8.

At this point I am concentrating my efforts on fairing the sides in the Elfin style. I may try to make a windshield in two panels more reclined backwards....

We will see. I will keep you posted.
Thanks again.

Phil.

[Edited on 31/10/07 by Philippe]

Philippe

posted on 31/10/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
alternative bodies

As I go , I will through a few pictures of modified sevenesques Rescued attachment donkervoort.jpg
Rescued attachment donkervoort.jpg

MikeRJ

posted on 1/11/07 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Have a Look at the Phoenix, Fury and Stylus kit cars if you want an enclosed aerodynamic body.
Philippe

posted on 1/11/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Have a Look at the Phoenix, Fury and Stylus kit cars if you want an enclosed aerodynamic body.

Thanks Mike, I am aware of these outstanding cars indeed. However, they remind me of the Lotus Eleven rather than the Seven. What I have in mind is more straigth forward and some of it was discussed extensively here on these forums under locost aerodynamics or lack thereof. Paul Fischer has posted the picture of a yellow racing locost with a sort of wedge shape fairing of the exhaust-rear mud guard area. This is what Elfin did on their big V8 mama. I am doing that too within my means.

Thanks for your tips.
Philippe

Rob Palin

posted on 2/11/07 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
That fairing does a little bit, but is barely worth it unless you have cleaned up the front end with inboard dampers etc. I tried it in the wind tunnel with a 7 and the benefit is marginal.

By fairing in the rear arches you're further exaggerating the 'backwards aerofoil' shape of the standard 7. It's better than not doing it, sure, but unfortunately it's chicken-feed in the grand scheme of things. Plus, it makes it harder to get in & out!

[Edited on 2/11/07 by Rob Palin]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.