Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: IRS Plans - are they available
TeamFalcon

posted on 25/9/03 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
IRS Plans - are they available

Hi all,
First post ever - hope it works
Just starting. Father & son team - so there will be plenty of arguments.
Got the doner Serria DOHC EFI.
Doing CAD drawing and getting MsSorley plans to work - the book sizes did'nt.
Searched for IRS plans everywhere so I could paste into my plans but no luck.
Some very usefull photos on this site - thanks everyone. -but no plans.
Is there some legal issues here?
I note there is an Avon book which I have'nt seen yet. Does it have reliable detailed plans?
Wish us luck - after looking under the Serria bonnet we are now a bit apprehensive.
PS we are going to build the frame rather than buy.

blueshift

posted on 25/9/03 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
go for it falcon
we're building our own too, team of two mates.. we just finished stripping our sierra, it's not all that bad really.

nick205

posted on 25/9/03 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Falcon

The Avon book has reasonable plans for a Sierra based IRS rear end set up.

I bought the book, but have since decided to go the pre-built chassis route, due to impatience. If you want the book for a tenner email me and I can post it to you.

HTH

Cheers

Nick

Mix

posted on 26/9/03 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Falcon

I've almost finished building my IRS chassis. I used the book dimensions as far back as the rear bulkhead and then adapted the avon IRS to fit.
Points to note:
This means that my front track will be narrower than the rear, (opinions vary on this)
If I were to start again I would make the chassis slightly higher to allow easier engine, (Zetec), installation. I believe this would also apply to the DOHC, 25-30mm would have made a big difference.
Apart from that read the posts in this and other sections and I hope you enjoy yourself as much as I am.

Mick

Martin Sports Car

posted on 26/9/03 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Falcon

I think that you will never find a good one.

For me the one from Avon it's very bad.

I don't remember who toll me, but someone toll me that Ron Rampion will made again one book with what you are loking for.

Best Regards
Joćo Martins
www.martinsportscar.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 26/9/03 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
nick205,

If Teamfalcon don't want the (avon) book, I'll have it of you!

thanks,

ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Friberg

posted on 29/9/03 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
>>TeamFalcon

Me and my father are using drawings from http://locost7.info - look under "files" and you will find drawings for Sierra IRS. The chassis are 100mm wider than the book-chassis.

The drawings are not complete so some own ideas have to be used for the wishbones etc.

By the way, nice to see another father/son project

nick205

posted on 29/9/03 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ned

Hope you had a good week of building!

Sorry but teamfalcon already took the book off my hands.

Cheers

Nick

TeamFalcon

posted on 30/9/03 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info everyone.
I will have a look at the Avon book when it arrives.
It seems like we need a good set of plans like the standard of the McSorley plans specifically for the Sierra IRS.
We are learning how to use the 3D modelling CAD program Inventor and could produce the set of plans - if we could get rough diemension sketches.
We have started by producing a book chassis in Inventor and this is approx. 50% finished.
Anyone else working on this so we can share info?. We don't want to start on the chassis build until we have the IRS and how it affects the chassis members sorted out.

Tigers

posted on 30/9/03 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi!
I'm also drawing chasis (autoCAD 2000)with IRS, based on McSorley 7+442 with modified rear end (my mods) to fit my BMW final drive and stuff. When i finish, i'll post it here to get opinon from experienced builders.

Martin Sports Car

posted on 1/10/03 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I Have some collegues mine from My University that will be do all the drawings and calculate several things based in my chassis.

Best Regards
joćo Martins
www.martinsportscar.com

Edsanutcase

posted on 3/10/03 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Whats all this cad stuff.
what hapend drawing o a back of fag packet? worked for me.

Tudor (Ted) Miron

posted on 4/10/03 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi All,
I like this little cars and apploud people who build them. Also IRS is the only way to go in 21st century (and last 40 or so years) Little problem is that it's not that simple as live axsel (and dedion which is effectively the same). But Dedion whith it's associated HUGE jacking forces - is a waist - you woudn't find it on any proper racing car. So to help solving this little problems with IRS geometry I can offer some help. If you send me your suspension hardpoints (pickup points) I can analise it for you with industial leading program (it makes Mithcells WinGeo look like a calculator camparing to P4 PC) so you'll know how exactly your susp assembly will behaive.

Ted

[Edited on 6/10/03 by Tudor (Ted) Miron]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.