Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: v10 viper luego chassis
bj928

posted on 2/11/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
v10 viper luego chassis

thought i would show off the difference between when collected as a standard chassis to which most were worried it would twist with the huge torque, well not any more.

before

and now.

Keith Weiland

posted on 2/11/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I know its probably not important with the power the V10 will provide but how much more does this chassis weight compared to standard?

[Edited on 2/11/2007 by Keith Weiland]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bj928

posted on 2/11/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
not sure on weight but 2 blokes can still lift it fairly easy, but as you say, with a viper engine its not going to be a problem.
timex

posted on 2/11/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
wow, that looks 'HEAVY DUTY' . I do understand that some people want to have the most powerfull engine possible. But wont having such an heavy engine in the front a small car make the handleing a tad crap? It may be fast in a stright line like all american cars but show it a glimps of a corner . I know that every body is open to there own opinions but in my eyes the point of seven style cars is to be small, light weight and handle like, well a 7. some times I think that it is possible to just have too much power aspecialy when it is rear wheel drive car like a 7, when it can be so hard to get the power down.
mr henderson

posted on 2/11/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see that the chassis would 'twist' with the torque. More likely the wheels would spin, or the axle mountings would break
rusty nuts

posted on 2/11/07 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously from your reply you haven't seen/heard/felt the beast in the flesh. I could see how the chassis would twist . Just open the throttle!
timex

posted on 2/11/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I admit, I havent (seen/heard/felt the beast in the flesh). Im sure tho that sitting there in your own cloud of smoke every time you try and set of dont feel that impresive . Has any body seen the final KitCar crises on discovery chanel? The one were the chasis cant take the power of the Hyabusa engine .
repper

posted on 2/11/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
looks awesome mate carry on the good work

Confused but excited.

posted on 2/11/07 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Luego? Surely a Brunel +4 Awesome chassis!
But how will you get the engine in, with those blokes painting it all year round?

Look at the size of those brake shoes in the first picture.

[Edited on 2/11/07 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

mr henderson

posted on 2/11/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Obviously from your reply you haven't seen/heard/felt the beast in the flesh. I could see how the chassis would twist . Just open the throttle!

For anything to twist as a result of input of torque at one end there has to be the appropriate amount of resistance to that torque at the other end. That is not the case here. The wheels will spin at much lower levels of torque than that engine can produce.

rusty nuts

posted on 2/11/07 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
For each reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction. Basic law of physics IIRC . Which mean that the engine will try to twist against any load put upon it which in turn means the engine mountings and chassis are also subject to the same load .
joolsmi16

posted on 2/11/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
V10

I would guess that the chassis will experience the torque under hard breaking and not hard acceleration?!?
saigonij

posted on 2/11/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
john,

you know what mate. i think you putting a v10 engine in a kit car is fantastic. extra weight? who gives a cr*p. extra metal on the chassis? who cares.

the chassis looks fantastic. the v10 is gonna be fantastic and i think you shoudl carry on buiding it like you have - exactly the way you want it to.

im gonna fit massive brakes to mine - why - cause i want to. im not out to buid the lightest car, im out to build my car.

same applies to you.

graememk

posted on 2/11/07 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
its going to look and sound great mate.

when i looked at it at newark i just thought to myself "i'd make that fit in a cobra"

NeilP

posted on 2/11/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
The thing is - BJ and Mark are "sleeper stars" i.e. Builders of 'ordinary' cars/vans with outrageous power units - Having had a sneak at some of the body work it is going to look the same as any Viento, 4pot to 8 - slight difference of 525 horses...

I can't wait I shall visit the doctors for insertion of a cork before a passenger ride

Kind of sums up the whole point of kitcars as has been brought up time and time again but seems to get forgotten in this 'mythical' aim to build the fastest/best handling/lightest/etc. - The car is the result of the things that make the builder smile - I'm guessing that John and Mark will be happily sat on the start line for 25 secs bathed in the smoke of £400 of rubber cos they can...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

RazMan

posted on 2/11/07 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon the biggest strain will be in the rear uprights and everything connected to them - assuming you can get enough traction that is. Easy controlled by installing wimpy tyres though

I will keep watching with interest

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 2/11/07 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
That's the first Locost chassis I have seen that could frighten a Volvo
mark-wiring

posted on 2/11/07 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm some interesting reply's so far.

I can see it from all points of view but what you all need to bear in mind is that John wanted the engine to go into a cobra it was my idea to make it a 7 opps lol.

The end result will (fingers crossed) be a car that will go round corners perhaps not as fast as a bike engined car but there is always the straight and at that point the viper will come into its own.

Chassis twist and component strain has been on my mind the whole time this has been in the making and with rear uprights that are rated to higher than the engine output im confident that it will all survive, having said that im sure we will break something its only a matter of time.

Only time will tell how good or bad it drives down the road but we have used all the right bits at considerable cost to John and have made as much effort as poss to try to make sure that it will work.

Oh and Neil your right mate sitting there bathed in tyre smoke is fun but you really think the tyres will last 25sec!

http://www.v10viento.co.uk
Have to recommend
http://www.extraefi.co.uk/
For all Megasquirt needs

D Beddows

posted on 2/11/07 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thing about this is that....it's a completely stupid idea.....it misses the point of 7 type cars by about 2 light years......it will probably be 'interesting' to drive to say the least and a well sorted Locost with a 1300 Crossflow engine will lap race circuits quicker........but for some reason it's actually very very cool

So, do I want one?........errrr no

bj928

posted on 2/11/07 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
for those who think i haven't done a little homework on this project here is one of my rear uprights, far from a sierra item,

and up front,

Volvorsport

posted on 3/11/07 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
it has to be said , i worked at mosler for a bit . the corvette running gear can be very cheap (im not sure if thats corvette stuff) and its upto the job and has good geometry .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

RichieW

posted on 3/11/07 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Fair play for giving it a go. A V10 is worth looking at, whatever its attached to

As its been intimated before, your chassis is looking more like the Forth Bridge than anything that Colin Chapman would have thought of.

Im not sure bigger is always better. Mind you, saying that its all down to personal preference and its more than I could build.

Still not sure I'd want to though.....

D Beddows

posted on 3/11/07 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
I have to ask........what's with all the rust? I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt of it being primer till you posted the picture showing the track rod ends........it makes it look more of a hillbilly operation than precision engineering

[Edited on 3/11/07 by D Beddows]

kb58

posted on 3/11/07 at 04:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bj928
for those who think i haven't done a little homework on this project...

What's the yield strenth of the lower A-arm? What force is fed into the lower shock mount under braking? Or when hitting a pothole? It better be very strong for all the weight.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

mr henderson

posted on 3/11/07 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
For each reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction. Basic law of physics IIRC . Which mean that the engine will try to twist against any load put upon it which in turn means the engine mountings and chassis are also subject to the same load .

"the engine will try to twist against any load put upon it "

Yes, but where is the load? Torque is not developed unless there is a load, which is why engine output is measured on a brake (AKA Dynamometer). If the wheels spin (and there doesn't seem to be any disagreement about that) because the rear of the car is so light in comparison to the cars that that engine was designed for, then there isn't enough load for the engine to develop its full torque against.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.