Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any central heating experts out there?
skodaman

posted on 7/11/07 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Any central heating experts out there?

Having recently bought a new garage with house I've got problems with the heating. The pressure gauge on the boiler reads about 2.5 bar ie. in the red and steam/ water comes out of the boiler overflow when the heating is on.
Any suggestions as to what the problem is. Boiler is a Vaillant and was afaik new when we moved in.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 7/11/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
2.5 bar shouldnt be enough to break it, i had one start to leak at 3.5 bar. Are you sure the overflow isnt the condensor pipe? If you want to let the pressure out to about 1bar, start by bleeding the rads, beyond that, without taking the cover off to let pressure out properly, you may be best off loosening the filling loop a touch til it drops.
NeilP

posted on 7/11/07 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a stuck relief valve - They get clagged up with fur - If you can find a friendly local plumber then you should be sorted for the price of the part plus and hour's labour...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Hasse

posted on 7/11/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Knowing nothing about UK-type of heaters I would say it sounds like your thermostat is not cutting off. I would guess you have a possibility to set what water temperature you would like to have in the boiler, often set to about 70°C.

Might of cause be different to our Swedish type systems?

coozer

posted on 7/11/07 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Mine sits cold at 1.5 bar and goes up to 2~2.5 when hot.

Installing the system we left it open to the main by mistake overnight and came back the next day to 4 bar!

There were no leaks or venting

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MkIndy7

posted on 7/11/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Being a Valiant its probably got a filling loop for putting water pressure into the boiler, Make sure this is shut! as it sounds like its been left open.

Reduce the pressure to around 1-1.5bar and then try again and see if it raises and blows off the safety valve, or rises above 2bar.

If it does then its likely to be the Exansion vessel that either needs recharging or replacing.

Or possibly the safely valve that is now damaged, but only if its blowing off at around or below 2bar.. any higher and its only doing its job.

Have a fiddle with the suggested things and get back to us, am sure we'll sort it.

skodaman

posted on 7/11/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx for that guys. It transpires that my locost build sponsor aka the wife has turned the tap to the boiler off and turned the heating on with no problems.
The pressure remains constant at 2.5 bar so it would appear that bleeding the radiators to let some of the pressure out should solve it. This tap had been left on for several weeks.
Think I'll get her to construct my megajolt/megasquirt board next

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.