Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What to do with rusty chasis
kreb

posted on 11/11/07 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
What to do with rusty chasis

So I inhereted another fellows Locost project, of which one item is a 90 percent complete book chasis. I stuck the thing under a tarp through last winter, and unfortunately it has a pretty good buildup of rust now. So my question is whether or not it makes sense to try and rejuvinate the thing, or whether it's ready for the scrapper. I have no doubt that POR-15 could stop the rust in its tracks, but how much has that film of rust already comprimised the chasis integrity? It's made of 1" x 1" 16 ga tubing. (2.5 cm x 1.58mm)

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

snapper

posted on 11/11/07 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that its just a bit of surface rust so not a big problem, give it a clean and check for lots of deep pitting also check all the welds.
If it all looks OK then treat and paint.
It will look like new.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

foskid

posted on 11/11/07 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
see the "electrolysis" thread, I should think it would be easy enough to put together a temporary tub large enough to immerse it in
David Jenkins

posted on 11/11/07 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
A wire cup brush in an angle grinder is VERY good at removing rust well enough for POR-15 to take over. In fact, that paint actually requires a rust-marked surface to stick properly.

If it's not too bad I'd wire-brush the lot, treat it with some form of rust killer (POR-15 Metal Ready is good, but you have to rinse it off after 10 minutes), followed by a coat of paint. POR-15 is good, but expensive; Frost's chassis paint is supposed to be very good, and I'm sure that you could get a cheaper alternative elsewhere.

stuart_g

posted on 11/11/07 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
beed blast and powder coat.
kreb

posted on 11/11/07 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
So you guys aren't too concerned with integrity. Great. I've found that POR-15 will handle a chasis like this without breaking a sweat. A few of the welds look like they should be redone, so I'll have to do some stripping, however. Thanks, guys!

https://www.supercars.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/1966_FiatAbarth_1000SP1.jpg

designer

posted on 11/11/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Check for any welds that need re-doing and then just emery off the surface rust and paint.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 11/11/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kreb
So you guys aren't too concerned with integrity.

Hard to say without seeing any pictures! If it's just surface rust then no, but obviously any serious rust is going to be an issue.

RK

posted on 12/11/07 at 01:59 AM Reply With Quote
If you don't want to do it, a good powdercoater can probably sandblast it for you before he paints. It's just time to use the wire/drill combo though, not hard.
kreb

posted on 12/11/07 at 04:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

serious rust is going to be an issue.

Well that's the question, isn't it? When does rust become "serious"? When i can thrust an ice pick through the metal? I'll take a pic or two tommorow, but am not sure how much use that'll be.

02GF74

posted on 15/11/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kreb

When i can thrust an ice pick through the metal? I'll take a pic or two tommorow, but am not sure how much use that'll be.

us owners of old Land Rover are familair with that

basically if the rust is deeply pocket to have reduced the thickness of metal, then it is scrap.

remove all rust then determine how mcuh metal is left. usually tapping a hammer, or ice pick in your case, along the chassis can give an idnication of the rust - it sounds different to solid steel. its kinda hard to describe.

DarrenW

posted on 15/11/07 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
As he says above - dep pocketed rust will reduce the thickness of the parent metal by quite a bit. On a land rover chassis its not uncommon for the rust to come off on large flaky 'sheets'. Surface rust however should be powdery by nature when removing with the tool. You will soon see if its too bad when you start - if the surface remains flat and thickness is not too adversely affected then you should be OK.

After that you just need to inspect the welds done by other person - but this is a seperate issue to surface rust.

vinnievector

posted on 19/11/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
your chassis rust

I to had concerns with my chassis as this was bought as an unfinished project ,left out side in the elements to rust . I am not an expert on rust but however i can give you some advise as i have to deal with corrosion in my job make an assessment then repair it .if your rust has turned to large flakes then i am afraid that section will need to be replaced , heavey surface rust can blended . but if more than 10% is removed then you may have to replace this section this is just a guideline before you lose your structural integrity . surface rust can be treated with a good rust inhibitor ,like crud or many others .if like me you have a full chassis to sort out i recommend shot blasting and painting or powder coating .however i do have my doubts on the later as this is hard to repair if the rust comes through again .
good luck hpoe this helps Rescued attachment Picture 224.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 224.jpg

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.