Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aprillia bec No gear selection ?
evo3500

posted on 14/11/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Aprillia bec No gear selection ?

Help !
I have got car with Aprillia RSV engine in it cant seem to get any gears.
I have hydraulic clutch all bled up no air,cable shift,seems to be getting sufficient travel in the push pull,sounds like gears engaging but no drive.
Im scratching my head a bit on where to go from here any one got any ideas ?

I have also tryed selecting gears manually with engine running, and without, still no drive.
Only thing I am not to sure about is can you over centre a hydraulic clutch,as I know on R1 cable clutch if travel is to much clutch it can go over centre.
All ideas welcome.
It has got me stumped

Thanks Simon

Dangle_kt

posted on 14/11/07 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Can you engage a gear with engine off?

If so try to rotate sprocket with it in gear. If it turns (use a decent amount of leverage) you know the clutch is very badly adjusted.

Or you have a major issue with you output shaft

evo3500

posted on 14/11/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Feels like its going into gear,with engine on or off but you can roll the car ,let the clutch out not a hint of drive,if you push real hard on the gear selector the drive coupling jolts a little as though it is trying to go in gear if this makes sense.
Howlor

posted on 14/11/07 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like the clutch could be stuck somehow.

Mike S

posted on 14/11/07 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me like you have pumped up the slave cylinder when you bled the clutch.

Try cracking the bleed valve and allowing the slave cylinder to return.

Regards

Mike

There are more horses' asses in this world than there are horses

pathfinder

posted on 14/11/07 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
what master cylinder are you using? If the cylinder is to large you will push the plates off the end of the basket and they will jam (pedal will go harder as well), you can change gear but won’t get any drive. Take the clutch cover off and have a look, there is only about a tea spoon of oil in there and it will only take 2mins to check it out!
re build and give it another go with less clutch pedal, I had to do exactly this with my setup.
If it’s not that, it will be the slave cylinder as they are a known weak point on the mille.

Best of luck

Thom

evo3500

posted on 14/11/07 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi everybody,thanks for the replys.

Thom your reply is exactly what its doing.
I am using a wilwood 0.625 bore integral cylinder,perhaps this is to big,or my pedal has to much travel.

What are you using Thom,and how far does your pedal / or pushrod move, as I can set it up the same as I have pedal stops fitted.

Thanks a lot for your help I will let you now the outcome.

PS. have you finished your car yet what does it go like cant wait to test mine !

Thanks

Simon

pathfinder

posted on 14/11/07 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Simon,

I’m using a Landrover master cylinder but its far to big, I have put a stop behind the pedal so that I can use it for now (the pedal only moves about 15mm max). I have got an old fireblade rear brake master cylinder to replace it with when I get some spare time.
It goes like stink and sounds the nuts, I haven’t been in many bec’s but I’m more than happy with it.

Regards
Thom

evo3500

posted on 15/11/07 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thom,
Going to have a look today.

Is it a case of remove clutch,then re-assemble and refit, and bleed carefully so as not to go over centre.
Or is it likley to have caused damage to the clutch so a replacemnt clutch is likley.
Did you just remove and refit yours ?

Appreciate all the help

Simon

pathfinder

posted on 15/11/07 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Take the clutch cover off and you should be able to see that the first clutch plate has come off the splines on the clutch basket and jammed up. You may have to straighten this plate out or replace it.

If I remember correctly this plate goes in on a different orientation to the others (turned one tooth or so).

Re- assemble and try again, with a lighter push on the pedal.

If that doesn’t work it will be the piston on the slave cylinder being pushed over the pont of no return, you will need to take the cylinder off and push the piston back in by hand, but if your engine install is anything like mine it’s a bit of a pain in the arse to do.

All the best

Thom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.