Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: calc's for fuse ratings?
adithorp

posted on 15/11/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
calc's for fuse ratings?

I should know this but its lost some where in the bachwoods of my memory. Once you've worked out the load on a circuit, how much do you add to it for the fuse rating?

adrian

craig1410

posted on 15/11/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I'm not sure that a simple "margin" above normal loading is sufficient. Depending on the type of load you may have surges, usually at power on which can blow a fuse even though the fuse is rated well above the continuous load. Normally inductive loads (eg. motors) produce surges on power up but other loads such as headlight bulbs can also produce surges.

The most important thing in my view is that your wiring at every branch is capable of handling the maximum continuous load which it can experience. This is defined by the rating of each fuse in each branch summed together as branches are combined. Beyond that, all you need are fuses which don't blow under normal circustances and you can probably make an educated guess by adding a small overhead onto the expected rating. If the fuse blows regularly then try one a little bit bigger but never exceed the rating of any of your wiring or you may get smoke and flames!

Also, remember that the voltage is typically 14V when operating not 12V so bear this in mind when measuring or calculating current requirements for each load.

Hope this helps,
Craig.

02GF74

posted on 15/11/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ wot he says.

filament lamps work by heating up a metal wire whose resistance increases with temperature. So when you first switch on a lamp, more current flows through it than when it is up to operating temperature - this is why you will find your domestic light bulbs are more likely to blow when you turn on the lights.

The current thourgh a simple inductive load is constant, the voltage induced across is will vary according to rate of change of current and inductance. Can't remember much of electrical motor theory now but think this is still the case.

Anyway a simple rule of thumb is to ensure the fuse current rating is less than that of the loom's!! it is preferable for the fuse to melt rather than the loom getting really hot and insulation burning.

So rule of thumb 2 - work out power of load to determine current - then double that for the fuse.... or simply take the series land rover approach and use 35 A for everything as long as you meet the wire rating rule above.

just thought: another way is take a look at fuse ratings as used in haynes manuals.

[Edited on 15/11/07 by 02GF74]

r1_pete

posted on 15/11/07 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Amperes law states that Amps = Watts/Volts, so a 60 watt bulb at 12 volts draws 5 amps. i.e Amps = 60/12. Use in conjunction with the above you'll be ok.

[Edited on 15/11/07 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 15/11/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
As a rule of thumb, probably add 50% to the calculated load current.

To some extent you are limited by the available fuse ratings - you can't normally get an 11.5 amp fuse. For a circuit drawing up to 6A I would use a 10A fuse, up to 10A I would use 15A fuse, anything more than that I would try to split down to separate circuits.

[Edited on 15/11/07 by Macbeast]

tks

posted on 15/11/07 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
then to add another rule of thumb.

for every mm2 you can transport 6Amps..

(atleast) thats what they told me.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

omega 24 v6

posted on 15/11/07 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
cables and fuse should be constantly loaded only to no mre than 80% of their rated amperages as a rule of thumb.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

adithorp

posted on 15/11/07 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys. Two numbers stuck in my head; Load+50% and loadx2. So I'll split the difference and pick the nearest fuse.

adrian

chriscook

posted on 17/11/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I started by putting 5A fuses in all positions when I first switched the electrics on. If one blew when I turned that circuit on (ie the lights) I decided if it should blow a 5A fuse under normal circumstances and then increased the value of that particular fuse if it was ok. Most stayed at 5A.
craig1410

posted on 17/11/07 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chriscook
I started by putting 5A fuses in all positions when I first switched the electrics on. If one blew when I turned that circuit on (ie the lights) I decided if it should blow a 5A fuse under normal circumstances and then increased the value of that particular fuse if it was ok. Most stayed at 5A.

Fair enough but did you do this with the engine running and therefore the electrics running at 14V and not just 12V?

I powered up each circuit one at a time using an ammeter in place of the fuse and using a 0-18V, 0-10A power supply as the source instead of a battery. That way I could set the power supply to 14V and ramp up the current until it reached normal operating level. I then just picked a fuse which was the next standard size up from that level with a minimum 50% overhead to avoid thermal fatigue on the fuse.

The main advantage of using a power supply instead of a battery is to avoid any huge currents flowing if a mistake has been made. Battery's can flow 300A+ which can melt your loom before you even notice that something is wrong.

Cheers,
Craig.

chriscook

posted on 17/11/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
Fair enough but did you do this with the engine running and therefore the electrics running at 14V and not just 12V?

Well its been running like that for a good few thousand miles so far.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.