Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O.T Help with pc
cossiebri

posted on 15/11/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
O.T Help with pc

Need your help lads......
Went and bought a new graphics card (geforce 7600 gs)and some memory for my old computer,first off the card is pcie and the computer is pci ? next off put the memory in and when i restarted the pc windows wouldn't load, got the message Load needed DLLs for Kernal ???wtf??
so took out memory re-installed old and hey presto it all works again. The new memory was 400mz 184pin 1gb (to go with the 512mb i got earlier in the year)
any ideas? cos at the mo its got 512mb+128mb Is there a certain way the memory goes? the 512 is in the left socket and the 128 in the right (this was the one replaced with the 1gb)

Been back on novatech's website and found the RIGHT pci card i need !! just help with memory now!

[Edited on 15/11/07 by cossiebri]

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

Keith Weiland

posted on 15/11/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ok First the graphics card.

PCI Express is totally different than PCI so the PCI express card will not work in your motherboard. I would guess that you have an AGP slot as well as several PCI slots. If this is the case you need an AGP graphics card. The AGP slot would most likely be the uppermost slot and would most likely be brown. PCI slots are almost universally white.

ok the memory problem.

I would suggest taking both your current memory cards out and trying just the new one, if this works then it would appear your motherboard cannot handle more than 1GB memory so you might just have to put the new one in and forget about the other 512.

If it doesnt work then it may be faulty. Memory can only go in one way as it is Keyed and the key is in a different place for different types of memory so you couldn't have bought the wrong format but some older motherboard have probelms with ram which is too fast so if the motherboard was made to take ddr 266 and you bought DDR 400 it might balk at it. Also some motherboards are picky about what brand they will work with, it can be a bit hit and miss.

The best way to upgrade a PC is to take it to a local PC shop (not PC world) and ask them to supply and fit the parts that way if for some reason the parts don't work its up to them to sort it. Should cost no more than £35 for the labour.

You don't want a PCI graphics card, you want AGP. Any PCI graphics card you can buy these days will be OOOOLD and SLOOOOOOW.

I would also suggest www.ebuyer.com rather than novatech as you will save up to 25%.

[Edited on 15/11/2007 by Keith Weiland]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cossiebri

posted on 15/11/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that keith
Is thet any way of finding out if it has a agp slot? i.e looking at the system info or something else? Or do i have to open up the case (again)
At the moment it hasn't got any graphics card just shared graphics off the proccessor (pentium 4 2.2)

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

BenB

posted on 15/11/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
When you boot there will normally be a code in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. That's the BIOS serial code. Usually looking that up on the net will link to the motherboard type. Looking that up will tell you if it's got AGP or PCI express.
graememk

posted on 15/11/07 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
or you could just log on to www.callright.co.uk, which is owned by a locostbuilder who sells at trade price to fellow locostbuilders.

please note this weekend is trade price.

or just use someone else and moan if it dosnt work

Keith Weiland

posted on 16/11/07 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Only way to be positive is to open it up and have a look.

Just for info the graphics you have it not off the processor but off the motherboard. some boards have AGP graphics but no slot, in that case you would have to get a PCI graphics card but I would suggest that it wouldnt be worth the money. better off getting a new PC or a major upgrade with new motherboard, processor, graphics and memory.

Here is a picture that might help you identify the AGP slot.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.