Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fast Road Cam Kits - Which ones????
T1GER_SUPERCA7

posted on 19/11/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Fast Road Cam Kits - Which ones????

Gents,

I'm looking for some advice on Cam kits.

I have a 2.0 Zetec and I am looking to change the cams for fast road. The car is predominantly going to be used on the road with the occasional track day so I dont really want any awkward race cams.

Kent/ Piper/ Others?

I have had 285's recommended and looked around and the prices between dealers vary dramatically.

Any suggestions on suppliers? What cams are you running? If you had to buy again which would you have?

Cheers
Chris

brynhamlet

posted on 19/11/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Talk to Newark Enginess at Sutton on Trent on 01636 822614

They built me what is basically a de-tuned formula ford engine, which is based on the ford 1600cc OHV engine.

Still running it in, but it pulls like a train.

They are agents for piper cams, so should be able to give you some advice.

Oh and the boss used to race himself.

snapper

posted on 19/11/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
285 are the best you can use on the Zetec before having to machine pockets in the pistons and convert to solid lifters as i understand.
Piper and Kent are well respected perveyors of cam kits and you can always ring up Burton Performance for some honest advise.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

TangoMan

posted on 19/11/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Piper 275

I opted for Piper 275s in mine. These can use the original springs so will save you a few pounds.

Mine working with a flowed head gave fantastic performance on GSXR TB's and plenty on compression.

285's will give a bit more top end but will lose out on low end torque. I could drive around town at 30 in 5th like a production car without any noticable lumpiness but could still easily rev well past 7K if I upped the limiter.

For trackwork the 285s may be better but for a lane racer the 275's worked very well and had less impact on fuel efficiency if driving sensibly. IF!!!

Summer's here!!!!

david walker

posted on 19/11/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Given that a Formula Ford 1600 is basically a standard 1600GT how is yours de-tuned then brynhamlet?

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

flathatmat

posted on 19/11/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Have a word with Mike Newman at Newman camshafts. Do a google search for the website. A very helpful and informative fella that will sort you out if you tell him exactly what you want out of your engine.
david walker

posted on 20/11/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'd concur with the Newman suggestion. I sell both Piper and Kent cams but of late have been pushing the Newman product mainly because they will grind me specials without a fuss and also they are more hungry for work, offer a personal service and are sensibly priced.

However I suggest you speak to Ken Newman, the owner, Dave Newman's son. I don't know a Mike Newman, but maybe just haven't met him.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.