Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: emissions and Q plate etc
blakep82

posted on 20/11/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
emissions and Q plate etc

i know i know, this has been answered a thousand times before. but because its about q plates and emissions, if i search for either of those things, i can't find what i need...

Ok, originally wouldn't have been a problem for me, but now it is

If i go for a Q plate, does the age of my engine make any difference for SVA or MOT? can't get my head round this one.
say my enigne is from 1995 (or whatever engine age requires a cat to be fitted) does it only have to have a cat for SVA, and then visible smoke for mot, or does it not matter for either, or both?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dan__wright

posted on 20/11/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
cat depending on engine age then its just visable smoke test

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

blakep82

posted on 20/11/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
so i'd need to have a cat for mot, then i could do away with it?

i don't understand all the dates in the SVA manual

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

piddy

posted on 20/11/07 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that the MOT manual is written in a way that the MOT tester could test for visual smoke (as he did in my case) or could test on the age of the engine and the emissions written on the V5 doc.

Cat needed on engine post Aug 95.
Age of engine will be tested at the SVA.

BenB

posted on 20/11/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Age of engine makes a difference for SVA (then you won't have a Q plate after all!!).
For MOT it's definately visable smoke only for Q plates.

blakep82

posted on 20/11/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys!
i'm not so bothered about having a cat, although i'd rather just have a smoke test for both tests. emissions could be difficult to fix

I'm still going for a Q plate though

BenB

posted on 20/11/07 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/MoT%20-%20Issue%2025%20-%20Oct%202004.pdf

page 8 is worth printing and taking along to any MOTs if you do get a Q plate....

Doesn't stop them from saying "computer says no" but might make them take you seriously enough to ring the oracles @ Swansea for the true answer!!!

The dollops @ DVLA put emissions limits from SVA at the bottom of my V5 but I've got them to agree that it's Q plate so it'll still be tested @ visable smoke only...

Paul M

posted on 20/11/07 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Current regs say that all cars must have emissions on v5 and be tested to those at MOT time. My Westfield built and reg in 2000(Q plate) had the emissions on the v5 but i was only ever asked for them on 1 MOT (in 2005) every other time it was just waived through on a smoke test
02GF74

posted on 21/11/07 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Q plate makes no difference at SVA time since you won't have been registered

so SVA it is age of engine using the engine number - NOT age of donor.

MOT is a bit unclear - as has been said, it can be visual only for Q but there is the part where emissions are printed on registration doc - presumably gotten from SVA time - that garage can test to; I am not sure which is the correct one.

Marcus

posted on 21/11/07 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
There appears to be a little confusion here, REGARDLESS of engine age, emissions will be tested for SVA - you can't get away with smoke test here. MOT should be visible smoke only for a 'Q'.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 21/11/07 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
The engine on my Phoenix was dated by Ford as having been built in 1981.

It will be tested for emissions at SVA and must be under 4.5 CO and 1200HC.

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.