Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: uprating radiator options
bjw970s

posted on 21/11/07 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
uprating radiator options

my LOCOBLADE has what I suspect is a the origonal crossflow radiator.

As I have the thing in bits, would be good time to upgrade.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonably priced upgrade?

Thanks

As someone else once said 'LOCOST my Ar**

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 21/11/07 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
polo rad, £65 Ebay
bjw970s

posted on 21/11/07 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, should have quantified, it will be raced and I was advised that a Polo rad won't be man enough - anyone with any experience of it working hard?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 22/11/07 at 01:44 AM Reply With Quote
If it's good enough for the Rover V8 (which I have), I'm sure it'll be fine for your Blade motor (which I'm sure Mark has).

ATB

Simon

procomp

posted on 22/11/07 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi try contacting Steve at Aries motorsport ( Ex ST ) As i know he has the better 3 row ones that i know will work and they have the 1 1/4 fittings for the plumbing.

Other alternative is going to Radtec for there westfield or custom made one.

And the polo rad is marginal on a 90hp crossflow for racing.

Cheers Matt

RazMan

posted on 22/11/07 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
I use a Polo rad with my V6 and it is a little TOO efficient in the colder weather. It shouldn't have any problems with a Blade motor.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

bimbleuk

posted on 22/11/07 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've tracked my car using the polo rad and a 267BHP 1.6 4AGE and the temps were stable (but ambient temps were low). The temps were stable all summer as well on the road.

The other Striker fitted with a similar engine but putting out 238BHP has been driven on several trackdays and driven as hard as possible to test reliability and again no issues with temps. Both rads are nose mounted and fully sealed to the front with alli sheet. the engine bays are vented either side with large openings which makes a huge diference in bay temps.

There are two basic core designs I'm using the earlier flat bar and fin. I have a later tube and fin which looks likely to flow even beter but so far no need to try it.

SeaBass

posted on 22/11/07 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
And the polo rad is marginal on a 90hp crossflow for racing.
Cheers Matt

Please elaborate...

procomp

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi not much to elaborate on some of the locost racers find that the polo rad will not cope unless running the fan reguarly other wise they overheat.

Some run the higher spec one and have no problems and dont need to run a fan atall.

The thing to remember is that there is a vast difference between road and trackdays and out and out hard racing for 20 minutes Where you are tucked up in the slipsteam of other cars. Unless you are lucky enough to be in the lead.

Cheers Matt

thunderace

posted on 22/11/07 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
there are loads of polo ones whitch one???
are they 32mm fittings on them???

bjw970s

posted on 22/11/07 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi not much to elaborate on some of the locost racers find that the polo rad will not cope unless running the fan reguarly other wise they overheat.

The thing to remember is that there is a vast difference between road and trackdays and out and out hard racing for 20 minutes Where you are tucked up in the slipsteam of other cars. Unless you are lucky enough to be in the lead.

Cheers Matt

And as I won't be at the front, that was my concern! Having raced saloons for a couple of years I have learned what 'standard' kit will stand up to the abuse in that format but as the LOCOST is a different beast I will have a lot of perhaps obvious questions to ask!

I will have a chat with Steve H as I went round to see him and bought some bits and found him very helpful.

Brian

James

posted on 22/11/07 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
there are loads of polo ones whitch one???
are they 32mm fittings on them???

Do some searches under Surrey Dave's name.

There were some long threads about it but he posted which the correct one is....

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

RazMan

posted on 22/11/07 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Try this thread

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

whitestu

posted on 22/11/07 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Try part 65245 on here Northern Radiators- Polo 1.0 94 on.

Only £38.

stu

ernie

posted on 22/11/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Partco no. ser2719819 rad polo 83-92
ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/11/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
There's a thicker (40mm) version of the Polo rad that was used in the Golf which is worth seeking out if you're worried about capacity / cooling efficiency

Ive got one in my Locost R1 and although I only do trackdays, at places like Cadwell I've lapped at RGB pace quite consistently and Ive not had a problem with water temps, in fact if anything it runs a bit too cool unless the weather is quite hot.

I wonder whether the issues with old engines such as crossflows as Matt's mentioned are more to do with the engine being quite inefficient so needing more cooling capacity than you'd expct? I imagine a 90bhp crossflow probably burns at least as much fuel as a 150bhp bike engine when being raced, which would suggest more of that energy is being converted into heat and less into useable power?

cheers
Chris

bjw970s

posted on 22/11/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris,

Do you have a model or part no for the 40mm thicker version?

Thanks

Brian

ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/11/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I don't no but if you cant find it on here then do a search on the westfield site (WSCC) as its been mentioned a fair bit on there.

cheers

Chris

adithorp

posted on 22/11/07 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Try here where I listed some previously.

adrian

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=69643

[Edited on 22/11/07 by adithorp]

bjw970s

posted on 22/11/07 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Try here where I listed some previously.

adrian

Link has dropped Adrian?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.