Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hello Newbie here
onzarob

posted on 24/11/07 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Newbie here

Hi all, found the forum today good reading.

I have always wanted a Lotus 7 and thought I would end up building a Caterham, but now I'm finally looking into it i feel Caterham have lost the ethos of the 7. I really fancy building a chassis from 30 metres (approx) of steel box, but I feel it would be a little time consuming

Therefore I really like the look of a Tiger Avon because of the IRS....but I still like the idea of live axle...oh time will tell.....

Well Hello all...see you about.

[Edited on 113030p://11076 by onzarob]

scotty g

posted on 25/11/07 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi onzarob and welcome,
you have definately done the right thing by coming here first, there are loads of people here that will answeer just about any question you may have, be it car related or just about anything else actually!
The avon is a lovely looking car but some find it a little cramped plus many have commented on the poor quality of the bodywork.
Also the Avon is not the only one to use IRS.
The live axle route is a perfectly good one but its getting harder to find them nowadays.
your other option is de-dion, this uses IRS parts and converts them to behave like a live axle, kind of!
Cheers dude

donut

posted on 25/11/07 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Nice Mini in your avatar.

Where you from?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 25/11/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome dude!
See, I'm not the only one that's confused.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

onzarob

posted on 25/11/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the nice welcome, I was attracted to the Avon due to the IRS and the cost, but as I spent last night reading on here the cockpit size varies a bit and the rest of the chasis...yes i am confused.

I was aware that the cockpit of a lotus 7 type car was cramped, I am 5.11 so not too big (i think!!). I will need to try a few out before final decision is made though

The Mini was a MK1 Cooper S that i had in 1990. Fully rebuilt by my Dad, Brother and Me. Sadly long gone but not forgotten

Am I right in assuming that because rear live axle setups are now difficult to find that is would be best not to go down that route, I don't like the idea of sierra trialling arms...I'm odd like that.

Donut does your A series use a midget or marina axle? I like the use of a period engine

[Edited on 25-11-2007 by onzarob]

t.j.

posted on 25/11/07 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, and welcome.

I'm building my own, inspired by the avon, locost and others..........

feel free to ask around, there is a lot off knowledge around on this forum.

As said my chassis is inspired by the avon.
but:
Longer cockpit 100 mm, wider, higher, straight upper-rail, wider track at front, other rear-uprights.....
uhhhh, maybe aint avon anymore

good luck on building.

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Hellfire

posted on 25/11/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hello and welcome.

Why not have a look around at some of the other manufacturers too. Plenty of others do IRS if that's what you want. I'm sure you'll find one or two that tick all the boxes. In no particular order

MNR
MK
MAC#1
GTS

I'm sure there's a few others besides........

Phil

rusty nuts

posted on 25/11/07 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome. I don't think many use the Sierra trailing arms these days
onzarob

posted on 25/11/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the list of manufacturers Hellfire, i will look into them. I basically started looking a a month back and gone down the usually list Caterham, westfield...then Robinhood and then found a few more...

The Robinhood 2b+ still uses the series rear end and the tiger cat e1. I found it easy to spot the front suspension...but the back become a little more caggy...but if i go sown the self build then I'm the boss...I'm loving this, no more compromise,just decide and weld....

T.J. are you using the Tiger Avon Book?

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 25/11/07 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just had to say hello because of your avatar

onzarob

posted on 25/11/07 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
Just had to say hello because of your avatar

Respect, Which Mini is yours?

Hellfire

posted on 26/11/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
So you've looked at differing ends of the market then....... Caterham at one end, Robin Hood at the other.

The manufacturers I mentioned earlier generally fit between the two in terms of price and quality.

Have a read of our build and rebuild diaries to give you some idea of whats involved. The principles are generally the same, regardless of manufacturer.

Lastly, and I don't say this often but............. have you ever considered fitting a bike engine?

Phil

Simon

posted on 26/11/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Onza (I hope that's not too impersonal)

Firstly, welcome.

Secondly, if you're going to build, I'd suggest buying Chris Gibbs book, essentially the latest incarnation of Ron Champions Build You Own etc etc, but with the niggles ironed out (so I've heard!).

MK were quite heavily involved in the development of the "Haynes Roadster" as it's called, so you should find quite a lot of parts, bodywork etc available from them.

If you're brave and in no rush, do a scratch build but, if you're keen to be out in the wind and rain, find a manufacturer (which means go to as many stands at shows or visit premises and look at, sit in and test drive that you can). Pick your faves, then it's down to budget. Get the manufacturer to provide a complete costing.

Ignore Phil (Hellfire), you know you want a proper engine in your car

ATB

Simon

onzarob

posted on 26/11/07 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info Simon, 'Rob' is OK LOL

I was wondering where the 'build on a Budget' book fitted in with Ron's original book.

I think i will go down the standard engine route, but you never now...depends whats on offer at the time I jump in.

I do like the idea of building from scratch but that may drag it out too long for the time I have...still undecided.

Shame that I didn't start this earlier in the year as I could of taken the short trip to the Exeter show...oh well

Finally the MK is looking like a good starting point..but I'm still not ruling out picking up a 'failed too complete' project as there seems to be a few about for a good money.

[Edited on 26-11-2007 by onzarob]

t.j.

posted on 26/11/07 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob

T.J. are you using the Tiger Avon Book?

I started my build using it.
But on the way a went to the drawing board. There are too many errors, i'm sure the body would not fit on a bookchassis.

It is although possible to build a chassis if you have some fantasy. Be carefull

I used both books from Ron and the orange avon book.
But all so read, read, read here, in books over lotus 7 serie I,II, III bought me the book kitcar suspension. etc etc.

as far as i remember:
Angle upper rail to wisbonebracket rail not good (result in zero castor)
It is not clear which height the upper brackets front must be. Mine are around 205 mm from the lower with cortina uprights.
Made new rear uprights due:
-Don't like turned brakes (handbrake etc)
-Positive camber gain due cornering
-lack off adjustment on top

wheelbase 2380 mm instead off 2280mm
engine DOHC, MT75, and which is futher back in chassis. higher than book, wider than book.
as said my dimensions are not the avon anymore as stated. But you can probably say it is inspired.

grtz

I'm also inspired by this site: http://www.mcsorley.net/locost/
And Dave has a lot on info on his:
http://gtslocost.locostsites.co.uk/index.htm

[Edited on 27/11/07 by t.j.]

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Simon

posted on 27/11/07 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
B%""^%s, just did a long reply and lost the lot.

A quick word of caution if you are thinking of looking into an unfinished project, take someone experienced (and a ruler). There will probably be a geniune reason why it's unfinished, but someone may have made a bit of a booboo. As the saying goes: All that glitters etc etc.

You haven't mentioned budget, but it'll be either a) come up with a couple of grand - which will get you quite a nice starter kit, plus the donor, which will allow you the chance to spend time renovating parts, till the next chunk of kit is ordered or, b) you have a large wad allowing you to go to a manufacturer and obtain a more or less complete kit; in which case you should have a fairly straightforward assembly.

Either way, keep asking questions - for all the larking around, there are some exceptionally knowledgeable peeps on here.

Btw, what sort of experience do you have with cars and can you weld? A scratch build is immensely satisfying, but can be very frustrating

ATB

Simon

wilkingj

posted on 27/11/07 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum..

There is a Avon kit in the For Sale section at the moment.

Look around first before parting with your cash.

Ask plenty of questions on here. Its a good place to ask.

There are several Locoster's in Cornwall, and I am sure they will give you a pep talk and probably a ride in their car, to give you an idea of what they drive like etc.

Dont be a in a huge rush. As you cant rush a good build.

PS.. Plenty of nutters on here, including me

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
onzarob

posted on 27/11/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by walking
Welcome to the forum..

There is a Avon kit in the For Sale section at the moment.

Look good, but I'm not in the market yet, will be in the new year, I don't have a budget either. So i really am at the very early stages.

I've been a Car nut for years, I can weld a bit My day is excellent (Retired mechanic and fabricator)

I have restored Mini (Pictured long time ago)
A VW Van Diesel 1983,
A Hillman Imp (didn't need much 17k on clock.)
Bought a 'Restored' Midget and drove it to work for a year...i use the word restored in a loose sense!! (rebuilt engine ans other stuff before the crash!!!)

MK1 Golf Cab...sold on.

Now looking for a Lotus 7esck Car...I like the mechanics and driving, But fed up with rusty panels

[Edited on 27-11-2007 by onzarob]

DarrenW

posted on 28/11/07 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Several people have got lucky with unfinished projects but from memory i think they all stripped the car right back and rebuilt it. The advantage is you can get a lot of bits for notalootta cash. The hardest bit will be trying to get into the head of the original builder if you try to just finish it off.

onzarob

posted on 29/11/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Several people have got lucky with unfinished projects but from memory i think they all stripped the car right back and rebuilt it. The advantage is you can get a lot of bits for notalootta cash. The hardest bit will be trying to get into the head of the original builder if you try to just finish it off.

Well here's hoping, I don't mide striping it back and fixing, fit my Budget better...well just easir to get past the FD indoors

Thanks all for your great comments and welcome

rallyingden

posted on 29/11/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have to agree with Simon.
I bought a part build and to date I have
1... Chopped the front end off to sort out suspension errors
2.... Corrected a difference in length of 2cm from NS to OS
3.... Re mounted the rear suspension pick up's on the axle so I could get the trailing arm nuts on !!
4.... Ripped the handbrake leaver off the transmission tunnel cos it was only 50mm from rear panel!!

Still have to sort out steering column and pedal box.

I think for my next build (yep bitten by the bug) I will look at a new pre built chassis Etc and concentrate on build quality.

RD

onzarob

posted on 29/11/07 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad i decided to take things slow as its a real mine Field. I must admit the more i think about it the more i tend to wards chassis starter kit and go from there. As from your experience it should save some head scratching and allow Me to get on with the build
mouglie

posted on 30/11/07 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
From experience would have thought the Avon to be too small even for a 5 11 driver, have known shorter people who still needed to mod heavily to get in comfortably.
onzarob

posted on 30/11/07 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mouglie
From experience would have thought the Avon to be too small even for a 5 11 driver, have known shorter people who still needed to mod heavily to get in comfortably.

Right that would scratch that then, I must admit I like them all, its just down to putting a list of must haves and would be nice etc.

Room for me to sit would be at the top though

Hellfire

posted on 30/11/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
When you create your list of 'must haves', number one needs to be a bike engine otherwise your list will be wrong.

Phil

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.