PS3
XBOX 360

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PS3 or XBOX 360?
donut

posted on 28/11/07 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
PS3 or XBOX 360?

Thinking of getting a games console to replace the DVD player. Been reading up on the PS3 and XBOX 360 and can't decide which is best. I like the Blue Ray idea of the PS3 but the XBOX has many more games on offer. Will the PS3 have as many after time?

Also hear of 3 red ring and overheating problems with the 360.

What are your thoughts and reasons for purchasing your unit?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 28/11/07 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go PS3, firstly reliability which is the 360's bug bear. Secondly blu ray DVD which is outselling HD DVD in Europe by about 4-1
Admittedly at present the choice of games is the 360's strong point but past history has proven that the previous 2 playstations were launched without a strong software line up and now look at the choice. The are enough really good titles to get you started off such as motorstorm and the first quarter of 2008 is packed with top titles.

Hope that helps, I own a PS3 and I'm really happy with it as the things it'll do apart from games is really strong, such as video chat on your telly and off course there is no charge to play games on line where 360 you need to pay a subscription.

Only advice is if buying a PS3 try and get a 60gb version as opposed to the 40gb as there are more features.

Nigel

donut

posted on 28/11/07 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Nigel, very helpfl. What was the PS3 like to set up and do you have to get it on line or attached to a phone line? I'm not at all interested in chatting or gaming with anyone over the internet or whatever.

Cheers

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabbahutt

posted on 28/11/07 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
If you're only interested with playing games off line then it really is simple to connect up, took about 5 minutes and that included getting the thing out of the box as it's really well packaged.

Only reason I mentioned being on line is you can download extra content for games such as tracks, cars etc to play off line and also things like movie trailers etc.

If you have wireless broadband it's really easy and it doesn't take that long to set up.

If however you quite content not to go near the internet etc and just want to play games and watch films it's really easy and only involves about three leads.

Be aware that the joypads are blue tooth and have no leads so they'l need charging for about 10 minutes to get you up and running or you'll need to keep it plugged in and sit nearer the tv.

If you're lucky enough to have a HD television be aware that there isn't a lead in the box, there is only a composite scart so allow about another£10 for one of these.

Any more info needed feel free to frop me a U2U

stevec

posted on 28/11/07 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
My son's 360 didn't work from new, the hard drive was duff, the supplier said "Oh we get a lot like that" Surely they could test the stuff before they pack them in the Chinese sweatshop.
New one came quickly though and has been reliable since.
I would go for the PS3 though.
Steve.

Davey D

posted on 28/11/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
i would go for an Xbox, as i think sony stink at the moment. the way they offer europe a crap cut down version of what is sold elsewhere - backwards compatibility is done poorly via software emulation.. and they charge us more for it. they are bringing out an even more cut down verision with no backwards compatibility, and a tiny hard drive for a reduced price

jabbahutt

posted on 28/11/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
sorry to disagree but the main backwards compatability of the 60gb version is done via a chipset.
The 40gb version which is now out was brought out after consumer surveys revealed a high percentage weren't bothered about backwards compatability allowing sony to remove the chips required and therefore cut costs.

I agree that Europe once again gets stiffed with higher prices compared to the U.S etc but that goes for everything from CD's to petrol.

Mag1caltrev0r

posted on 28/11/07 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I think that the RROD (Red Rings of Death) problem is better with newer versions. If you're buying new then the new ones (mostly) have the 65nm (IIRC) processors which run cooler.

I've got an Xbox 360, and I'd like to buy a PS3 but I'm waiting until there are a few games that interest me first.

When comparing prices, remember that an Xbox doesn't have wireless network, which costs £50-£60 extra. And obviously doesn't have HD-DVD built in (£110). When you consider this, the PS3 isn't much different in price.

Personally, if I never had either, I'd buy an Xbox as I love Forza 2!

mistergrumpy

posted on 28/11/07 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a 360 due to the Playstation2 letting me down and getting the disc read error twice, that really peed me off and also at the time the playstation3 was way too dear and I believe that it wasn't able to play all the old games like I understood it would and there were initial problems with the console itself. As for the blu ray thing, that just don't interest me, hardly watch DVD's and I'm sure it'll break and will cost a bomb to replace.

Marcus

posted on 28/11/07 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the PS3 here - was set up in about 5 minutes including wireless internet connection (built in). You say you're not too bothered about online gaming, but you find yourself downloading Gran Turismo demo and trying to beat the time for the Cappucino!!
There have been a few system updates over the last few months, so I'd say an internet connection is a must. While you're at it, download Warhawk - excellent online shooter - it's much different shooting real people as they're not so predictable!!
A friend here at work has every console ever, including a 360 elite, but the PS3 is never switched off!
Blu-ray is winning big style in the format wars and the PS3 is outselling even the Wii in Japan at the moment.
(also in uk, but that's cos you can't get a Wii!!!!)

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 28/11/07 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
PS3

I moved to the states and bought an 80Gig one here for 300 pounds.

There are some really great games out too,
Call of duty 4, Tiger Woods 08, Assasins Creed, NBA 2k8 to name a few

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

phoenix70

posted on 28/11/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Firstly, I've got a 360, so I am bias towards them, but a friend of mine has both, and he hardly ever plays the PS3, because, he think the 360 is superior.

He had two complaints about the online side of the PS3:

It's a lot slower than XBox Live

The players are not as friendly (BTW that's the sanatised version of what he actually said)

I certainly wouldn't buy a PS3 for it blu-ray, it may be outselling HD-DVD (mainly due to it's inclusion on the PS3) but in the end I'm pretty confident that HD-DVD will become the standard. it's another VHS - BetaMAX, blu-ray may be better the HD-DVD, but unless Sony brings the price WAY down, they will not become mainstream

Thats my take

Cheers

Scott

cossiebri

posted on 28/11/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I was given the choice for a 'xmas prezzie'.
went for the 360 due to pgr4,halo 3 and call of duty 4 is also out
at the mo ps3 still waiting for it's 'killer' titles such as gt5,tekken etc
had a 'trial' (to make sure it works of course!) on pgr4 and thought it was bl**dy brilliant can't wait now only 4 weeks to go!

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

donut

posted on 28/11/07 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
My TV is way too far away from my router which is not wireless so no joy with internet anyway.

I am leaning more towards the PS3 as my son has the PS2 and it's brilliant so the PS3 will be better.

Andy

Jon Hazan

posted on 28/11/07 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I would have to say 360

I've had mine 6 months now and not had any problems. The games are far better than any PS3 offerings and as far as i can tell most of the good games that sony had originally claimed as exclusive are now being ported to the 360.

As for dvd standards my feeling is the HD-DVD format will win out simply because sony is trying to hold onto the blueray format too tightly.
If you are looking to get the console simply for HD films then i would say go PS3 (urgh) simply because the blueray player is internal and not a £80 addon like the 360.

A friend of mine works in the local gamestation and he agrees that the 360 is better value for money and it sells far more than the ps3. They usually get several 360 sales a day, for the ps3 its generally a good day if they sell 1.

If your buying a ps3 remeber to get the 60GB version.
If your getting a 360 make sure you get the 'new' premium or elite console as these are the ones with an hdmi port. As for the HD size unless your downloading large amounts of demos and online content the difference should make any difference to you.

thunderace

posted on 28/11/07 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
as my mrs works for GAME as a district development manager,
she tells me its based on what type of games you like to play.
go into a game shop ask there advice they dont get comishion ,go into a second game shop and ask another manger his advice .

cossiebri

posted on 28/11/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
The dvd on the 360 has got a progressive scan function on it, when we upgraded to plasma/home cinema it cost (the wife )nearly £500 for a player with this capability- now it comes standard on a games machine!! (This was nearly 5 years ago cost £5000 )

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

Mag1caltrev0r

posted on 28/11/07 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cossiebri
had a 'trial' (to make sure it works of course!) on pgr4 and thought it was bl**dy brilliant can't wait now only 4 weeks to go!

If you like PGR4 then you really must try Forza Motorsport 2, it's a LOT more realistic and IMHO better than PGR4 (saying that I've only played the demo).
However, the game does come alive when you use the proper Xbox steering wheel!

donut

posted on 28/11/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
On a side line.....the ps3 links using an hd lead yes..so if you pop in a blue ray disc it will play at blue ray quality, what happens if you pop in a std dvd, will it just play the dvd at normal quality or do you have to plug in another lead to the telly or go to the setup menu?

Andy

Marcus

posted on 29/11/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
No, PS3 will automatically play a standard DVD through the HDMI port - and will upscale said DVD to full 1080p if your telly will support it. Personally, I can't see much difference from an upscaled DVD to a standard - but that's probably my crap eyes!!
The other advantage with the PS3 is that under your telly it looks the dogs danglies.
I got a shiny black Samsung telly and the setup looks ace (IMHO).

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

donut

posted on 29/11/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The other advantage with the PS3 is that under your telly it looks the dogs danglies.

Going to get one either tomorrow or next week. PS3 that is!!

Thanks for all comments and suggestions chaps

[Edited on 29/11/07 by donut]

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.