Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another eBay gem
MikeRJ

posted on 28/11/07 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Another eBay gem

Classic Mini with turbo conversion

He has chopped through the main bulkhead, including the rather important box section which runs the width of the bulkhead, and has done nothing to put any strength back in. It's ok though as it is by no means an MOT failure.

iank

posted on 28/11/07 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
On the positive side the heat it puts out should more than compensate for the removal of the heater.

Mind when it explodes due to getting sprayed by a puddle it might put a crimp in your day! (not to mention your ankle )

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

onzarob

posted on 29/11/07 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from the butchard shell, he has a 200BHP 1275 engine as well!!!!!

Mr Vizard would of given his right leg to get a 200bhp out of a 1275

MikeRJ

posted on 29/11/07 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob
Apart from the butchard shell, he has an alleged 200BHP 1275 engine as well!!!!!

I corrected your post for you IIRC that much power has been extracted from a turbo'd A series before now, but the resulting contraption is probably closer to a fragmentation grenade than an engine. God knows what gearbox is going to last with the kind of torque that will be producing, even the straight cut ones would be struggling to take that.

[Edited on 29/11/07 by MikeRJ]

Confused but excited.

posted on 29/11/07 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
"The car is a runner with a little squirt of easy start, although i would strongly recommend a toe"
Into touch, I should think!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 29/11/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
We picked up 2 scrap minis last night for spares and one of them has a turbo engine fitted so after reading this i thought i would have a look at it in daylight. Its got more of the bulkhead and crossmember cut away than that one It has some thin steel plate tack welded over the hole Do people realy think that the crossmember is for decoration ????

Ps the engine is not for sale !!!

onzarob

posted on 29/11/07 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by onzarob
Apart from the butchard shell, he has an alleged 200BHP 1275 engine as well!!!!!

I corrected your post for you IIRC that much power has been extracted from a turbo'd A series before now, but the resulting contraption is probably closer to a fragmentation grenade than an engine. God knows what gearbox is going to last with the kind of torque that will be producing, even the straight cut ones would be struggling to take that.

[Edited on 29/11/07 by MikeRJ]

I forgat about the MG Turbo and the ERA but i ddin't think any of them went to 200bhp....shows how long I'v not been following Mini's, My Mini had 78bhp at the time and it was HOT

Simon

posted on 30/11/07 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
I turboed my Mini a long time ago. All parts were from VMax Racing and the bits needed included a fairly substantial box that was welded into the cut out section of bulkhead box. Also some reinforcing plate which was welded in strategic places on subframe.

It was not a quick conversion!

Since when was the 998 engine turboed. The Metro lump was 1275 - mine was 1293, and ran up to a bar, and I'd estimate no more then 120 bhp.

ATB

Simon

mouglie

posted on 30/11/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Fab

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.