Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Facet fuel pump ?
givemethebighammer

posted on 4/10/03 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Which Facet fuel pump ?

Think I want a Facet Redtop fuel pump for my zetec on carbs but which one solid state or interupter ?

http://www.raldes.co.uk/2003/page102.jpg

Do I need the filter / regulator thing ?

Is it also worth rubber mounting these things ?

thanks

Northy

posted on 4/10/03 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an Interupter jobbie. But it depends on the power output of your engine.

You will need a regulator, I've got one of the Filteeer king jobbies, because its wise to have a filter before the carbs, so why not do it in one unit?

YES, rubber mount it. Just had my engine running today, and its still noisey when rubber mounted!

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 4/10/03 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm sod buying a new pump... they look expensive.

I'm sure i'll find a fuel pump on the back of a cav gsi somewhere , with fitter and reg

[Edited on 4/10/03 by Ben_Copeland]

dblissett

posted on 4/10/03 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
i have just got a facet off a range rover
its the same spec as the 150 bhp one in europa spares
good luck

Northy

posted on 4/10/03 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I heard they were fitted to Range Rovers. I got mine thrown in with my the Webers I bought second hand, even cheaper

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 5/10/03 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I'll check scrappies first for range rover, however I am planning 170+ bhp so this may not be up to the job
Big Stu

posted on 5/10/03 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not fit two of them then? Seen it done before on a racing Land Rover.
givemethebighammer

posted on 5/10/03 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe you could fit two but I'd like to keep things simple if possible

thanks

Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/10/03 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
ok... so whats the difference between all these different pumps then ???

Thought a pump was a pump lol

Stu16v

posted on 5/10/03 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
If only.....

To begin with, there are two types of fuel pump, injection and carb. A pump for an injection system CANNOT be used with carbs, and visa-versa, due to the massive differences in pressure that these pumps deliver. As a rough guide, an injection pump delivers 50 psi+, whereas a carb pump will be around 5 psi.
I honestly dont know whether an injection pump can be utilised with a "Filter-King" pressure regulator, it may be too much pressure for the regulator to handle. Bets to think carefully about the Cav GSi pump, and find out whether a reg would cope......

The choices of Facet pump is a little intimidating too. But as long as it is a pump designated for use with carbs, my advise is to get the highest capacity one, and run it with the aformentioned regulator with the pump as near to the tank as possible, and the regulator near the carbs.
Even if the pump is capable of delivering far more fuel than can be utilised by your engines present state of tune, you now have the extra capacity for upgrades at a later date if you so desire-without starving the engine of fuel, or having to buy yet another pump.

HTH Stu.

[Edited on 5/10/03 by Stu16v]

Dont just build it.....make it!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/10/03 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Stu, I've seen an Astra GSI (same engine as cav GSi) on the injection pump, but running carbs..... so think it's possible. Though they did use a rather large amount of fuel, but were Weber 48's !!!!!

But think i'll stick with Facet Pump in that case! Which ones are capable of supplying enough fuel for 200bhp ?

Stu16v

posted on 5/10/03 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Good question, and I dont know offhand, but IIRC the Demon Thieves catalogue gives the pump fuel delivery and an approximate BHP rating.

Cheers, Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/10/03 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
ok Stu, thanks 'll have a look
Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/10/03 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Slightly off topic... but still fuel related!

I've got some braided hose, which has got a I/D of just over 7mm... what do people recon on using this ? If i can get away with using it.. it'll save my some money

dblissett

posted on 6/10/03 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
if you get a copy of europa's catalouge
it has the facet pumps rated by horsepower for webers you need a high volume of fuel at a low preasure this is the oposite of a fuel injection system
good luck dave blissett

Fast Westie

posted on 17/10/03 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Facet Interupter pumps - hmmm

I have been through 4 Facet silver top pumps on my Westfield, they are not reliable although they do flow enough fuel for 200bhp.

The problem is that if there is any fuel starvation, or vaporisation the contacts arc and then they stick, normally in the middle of nowhere!

I would recomend a Holley or Weber pump, or at worse case a Facet solid state.

The car in front is a Westfield

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.