Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC engine
Aico

posted on 7/12/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
BEC engine

Looking for a used kitcar with a bike engine. There are basicly 3 choises within my budget. Fireblade, R1 and the Blackbird. Not looking at prices etc what is the difference between these engines? Is there a big difference in power and torque? How are the gearboxratio's?
worX

posted on 7/12/07 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Aico,

Fireblade is a well known engine and can be picked up quite cheaply nowadays, but the cheapness does not reflect on the quality of the engine and ease of install!

The R1 has more power and similarly can be picked up cheap, although not as cheap as the Blade and has more power than the Blade also, but slightly trickier cooling installation.

The Blackbird is a bit of a "black sheep" only because it has oil surge foibles, and many people suggest that if taken anywhere near a track you should fit a dry sump (which would make it an expensive package altogether!), although I have no experience of this myself.

I am biased because I have a Blade, and also know that they are a strong engine, with a (relatively) good gearbox, although with the mileage that all the engine's you are looking for, all with have a few "issues" that need to be checked.

ATB
Steve

Toady1

posted on 7/12/07 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
fit a 954cc blade an itll be as powerfull as an R1!
mackei23b

posted on 7/12/07 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of ZX9Rs out there as well,

but Fireblade and R1s seem to be the most popular.

Dangle_kt

posted on 7/12/07 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
blade could range from a 1994 carbed model to a 2007 cbr1000rr engine - so depending on what your after, ask what it is.

Even carbed Blade engine is well proven and is plenty fast.

r1 has a higher output than older blade engines, but similar to more modern ones - heard of some gearbox issues, but this might be down to oporator error as apposed to weak gear box.

Blackbird is not 1000cc, it is a bigger engine and is more of a hyper /sports tourer, the bigger engine will make for more civilised midrange grunt - but if I was buying one 2nd hand I'd like to see proof that the dry sump kit was fitted before the car turned a wheel - 2nd hand cars are a gamble at the best of times without introducing more concerns to the mix.

Depending on what you want out of the car and what it is for will effect your choice.

If it is for more road use I would be tempted by a blackbird engined BEC.

If for trackday then blade and r1 are both very quick cars.

I have a blade engine for my BEC (still being built) and am happy with my choice. To me a blade engine will be plenty fast enough and if it all goes wrong then replacement engines are pretty cheap (£300ish) as apposed to serious money the other two engines command. Plus I've read of fireblades doing 100k miles with no problems.

Aico

posted on 7/12/07 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at my budget the kitcars for sale usually have the older carbed engines. How is the Blackbird against the R1?
worX

posted on 7/12/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
If my choice were either Blackbird or R1, then I would go for the R1 everyday...
Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Aico
Looking at my budget the kitcars for sale usually have the older carbed engines. How is the Blackbird against the R1?

falcor

posted on 7/12/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Is there anyone using a Daytona 955i engine in a BEC ?

Pros and cons vs the R1 ?

twybrow

posted on 7/12/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
I am installing a Dayona (T595) in a Stuart Taylor chassis. It sounds awesome, but it will be a good few more months until I know how it drives. IT has been an easy engine to sort wiring for, the only issue I have found so far is that it doesn't sit quite as centrally in the chassis as some of the others, but not a big issue - plus there are no off the shelf parts for the install, but again, not a huge issue.

falcor

posted on 7/12/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, do you have any pictures of your install?
twybrow

posted on 7/12/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Some in my archive - others available on request!

Hellfire

posted on 7/12/07 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Personally - one of if not THE best engine for a 7 type Kit is the ZX-12R. Tracked and driven hard (and soft) on the road there is little to touch the power and torque of this engine ('busa allowed) without any real problems. Our's has had frequent trackdays and regular hard road driving with not one beat missed.

Ignore it at your regret....

Steve

Aico

posted on 8/12/07 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Do you need a drysump with that engine for trackuse with semi-slicks? Also how easy or difficult is it to fit in a seven which already has a bike engine in it? A Fireblade for instance.

[Edited on 8/12/07 by Aico]

NS Dev

posted on 9/12/07 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a car engine man I'm afraid, don't really do the bike engine thing BUT........

Hellfire is right, the ZX12r does make sense, you really do want as many cc as possible, and the busa is mega money for what it acheives.

That said I was disappointed with the performance of a Busa westfield recently as compared to my Vauxhall XE locost, I'm certainly glad I went with the car engine as it is certainly faster.

Aico

posted on 9/12/07 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
What spec is your car engine?
ChrisGamlin

posted on 9/12/07 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I upgraded from a carbed blade to an injected R1 and can say that its not particularly cheap or simple to convert from one bike engine to another.

They generally have different engine mounts, different exhaust, different electrics etc etc. Overall I'd say you'd most likely add £1k-£1500 on top to convert, including selling the outgoing engine and associated parts.

If you think you might want to do that, it would be far easier and cheaper to raise your budget for the car and buy one ready installed.

NS Dev

posted on 10/12/07 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aico
What spec is your car engine?

have u2u you as I don't want to divert the thread!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.