Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: kit car 24hr race summer 2008?
bobster

posted on 11/12/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
kit car 24hr race summer 2008?

Would there be any interest in a kit car amateur 24 hour race for summer 2008?
Open to all. (obvious safety inspections etc) Teams of max 4 drivers etc
Would need to sort out details, but am part of one of the WRC stage teams and I could probably persuade them to help out incl. marshalls etc.
We could run various categories & perhaps get some support from various suppliers in case of repairs etc.
I don't think there could be a better test for all out hard work and engineering.
If there is enough interest then I will look into getting things off the ground.
It could be a fantastic weekend out for everyone.
bobster
p.s. if there are any guys on here that would be interested in helping organise then please let me know.

SALAD

posted on 11/12/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good idea Bobster......not sure if my car will be finished though!

Where were you thinking?

bobster

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
This is not about big budget race teams, but about guys like us and our friends that fancy a challenge. For this event, it's definitely the taking part that counts. I can already see 10 guys helping someone out, welding new wishbone brackets on to get someone going again.
There are several options, either a dedicated track with all the facilities, or a disused airfield where gazeebos would have to do for pits and where we could provide loos, power etc.
I'm sure we could get some sponsership from one of the manufacturers or kit car magazines to help us all out. Try and do it without making it too expensive.

bobster

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
just got off the phone with the wrc stage team deputy commander and he recons that they will be able to get out marshalls, safety etc and could also run the race for us. up to us now to see who's interested
Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
you say amateur - but would that still mean its restricted to full ARDS race licence holders??

Doubt my car would be ready - got to sell my Saxo VTR in order to donate most of the proceeds to Malc at Yorkshire Engines in exchange for a ZX10R engine yet. Maybe 2009 hey!!

bobster

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
need some input on that (racing licence). Safety is obviously paramount but I want any kit car drivers/builders to be able to compete if poss.
shortie

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I think to be honest you will find that you could run into problems as if it's an official race then all drivers will certainly have to have done their ARDS.

But saying that I have seen this kind of thing started and then lead onto big things.

I would suggest you are looking at a massive piece of organisation but if you're up for it then it could be worth a shot!

Rich.

bobster

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
rich,

I agree that it needs to be properly sorted, especially if it's going to be held on a dedicated track.
However, there are lots of guys here that could get sorted by the latter half of next year.
I reckon if we can get 20-30 teams we would have a great weekend.
bobster

Howlor

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
What if you run it as a 24hr track day with say overtaking only allowed in certain areas to keep the risk down. Highest number of laps at the end takes it.

Steve

bobster

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
i think you are right, and we need to get the balance right.
The main objective is obviously to test the build quality and durability of our cars. (bloody good snagging exercise as well - if it survives that then...)
However, i think there needs to be some time component as well. Why else do we put hyabusa engines in a 500kg gokart.
bobster

Volvorsport

posted on 11/12/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
any classification as a race will come under MSA regs iirc , while you dont need to do that , youd have to have a minimum insurance to satisfy health and safety .

you need a method of calculating the winner without timing .

road rallying gets away with it , the quickest over a stage wins but that would only be a private stage , the rest is below 30mph average .

i reckon the first thing to do is set numbers , then you can work out insurance . marshals etc .

even having 12 teams with 4 cars is 48 cars to look after .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

takumi

posted on 11/12/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
:)

Love the idea,

What about setting your trip counter odometer to 0, and at the end, see who has the most miles ?

What about a 24h shakedown ?

I'm sure it could be arranged to benefit army/raf charities, if they can help with a venue

[Edited on 11-12-07 by takumi]

bobster

posted on 11/12/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
yes. now we're on the right track.
We make it a weekend.
24 hour endurace 'race' at a track, airfield or army land. Have plenty of support. Most laps wins.
Teams of - 1 car with max 4 drivers - as many mechanics/support crew as you can persuade, bribe etc
If the army were interested in providing location/facilities then would be very happy for the proceeds to go to charity. WRC teams could probably also get recovery to support the race.

Jon Ison

posted on 11/12/07 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would definitely have an interest in this event, well worth looking at the GOME event at Mallory, this is not a "race" hence no need for an MSA licence.
short track 123

posted on 11/12/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
I think i could get a team together for a 24 Hour sounds like a top idea..

Could be a time trial with teams set off at intervals so no one is " racing " ?

Jason

[Edited on 11/12/07 by short track 123]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Dangle_kt

posted on 11/12/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
GOME is road legal cars only, do you know if the same will be true of this? My car will be runing by then, but will not be road registered.

Very interetsed though.

I've just got to make 3 friends.

bobster

posted on 11/12/07 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
don't see why it should need to be road legal only.
any thoughts on possible venues?

Hammerhead

posted on 11/12/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I like the idea of this.

Just wondering if it may be worth making the 1st one a 12 hour endurance drive and see how it works out. If it's a success make the following year a 24 hour endurance drive.

I'd be happy to work on posters and press releases and logo designs if needed.

Keep us updated.

Steve.

bobster

posted on 11/12/07 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
steve,
thanks for your offer. will keep you posted.
The advantage of 24 hours is that people will have time to fix problems and then continue and will also allow 4 drivers to be involved which means a reasonable team. However, if the general consensus is for 12 hours then we'll look at that.
my preference would be for 24 hours - a proper test in a recognised format!

Hammerhead

posted on 11/12/07 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobster
steve,
thanks for your offer. will keep you posted.
The advantage of 24 hours is that people will have time to fix problems and then continue and will also allow 4 drivers to be involved which means a reasonable team. However, if the general consensus is for 12 hours then we'll look at that.
my preference would be for 24 hours - a proper test in a recognised format!

I suppose it would be good to see what the interest is like overall for the project then maybe allow the interested parties to vote (don't know if you know but you can set up a vote on this site)

Paul TigerB6

posted on 11/12/07 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Just to throw an idea into the ring - how about organising it as a charity event?? Would that get around the classification of being a competitive event and so negating the requirement for ARDS, as well as raising money for a good cause (or 20!!). Pence per lap would at least allow teams to have an element of competition - and throw in a few spot prizes from a few sponsors (there must be plenty of registered traders who would be onboard??) for fastest lap in class etc.

Just an idea - could generate a lot of outside interest too through the press etc??

bobster

posted on 12/12/07 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
charity event sounds good.
As you say, teams can get sponsored per lap etc - that'll make my friends and family put their money where their mouths are - they are always expecting me to break down.

bobster

posted on 12/12/07 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
following a discussion off this thread we are thinking of not limiting the number of drivers in a team. That way everyone in a team that wants to can have a go, and i think may reduced the risks of tired mistakes.
simes43

posted on 12/12/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
A couple of points that you may like to consider.

Limit the size of the fuel tank.
Each team relays two cars. Like the Birkett

Limiting the tank to a mandatory size will slow the larger engine cars to conserve fuel and reduce the chance of a car being raced with a 200 litres stored all over the car.

Apart from speed/ability differences, the most dangerous part of a long distance event is the refuelling stop. Having two cars will reduce the chance of petrol being spilled and the driver of the next car will be buckled in correctly.

Croix in France (an hour from Dover) would be an interesting circuit to hold the event . May get round the MSA issues.

MK Charlie

posted on 12/12/07 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
I agree, Croix en Ternois is a really good track, and there are plenty of hotels in the local village, and the local are very friendly towards racers. Only thing is it is a very narrow track (my friend described it as a large go kart track) It is also fairly short, which would make it very competitive because an extra couple of minutes for fuel stops/driver changes over the whole 24hrs could equate to quite a few laps.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.