Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vista or not?
flak monkey

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Vista or not?

That is the question for those who are already using it.

Looking at building myself a highish spec gaming machine and i dont know whether to stick to Win XP pro or got for Vista 64bit Pro.

Whats the compatability like for older software, games etc?

The other thing that puts me off is the huge amount of system resource it seems to need just to run...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Mr Whippy

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
my next machine is going to be a mac as I'm so feb up with this windows rubbish.

quote:
The other thing that puts me off is the huge amount of system resource it seems to need just to run...
quote:

indeed and what on earth does it do with it all? it's just a cursor and some folders! Never had any problem with DOS...

[Edited on 12/12/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I just got a brand new laptop through work. It was pre-instaleld with Vista. They took a day to get rid of weverything and puit XP back on. They said that for now, it is just too unstable and takes up too much memory/ processor power.

rallyingden

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

We tried it at office & home.
Half of our software fell flat on its face.
Let those with the resources & time sort out the bugs first.

RD

Gergely

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think LFS struggles with Vista and many gaming pads too, so I would say no...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
i bought a vista machine with 1gb of memory and a 320gb HDD.

Vista uses 500mb of the memory idling so I've upped that to 2gb.

it takes up 18gb on the HDD.

I've turned off all the rubbish like the side bar and its still quite sluggish. I have had some software issues as well.

I feel like going back to Win2K. It was the most stable system I've ever used.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Pdlewis

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I think it is worth bee aware VISTA use dynamic memory management so for anyone who doesnt write software. what it does is preload apps and files it thinks you are going to use when that memory is then requested for use it dropps the buffer and frees it for use therfore appearing like it is using the full quota for RAM when actually its using very little
mcerd1

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'd normally wait until at least service pack 1 for any new windows
by then they should have sorted the worst of it - well maybe

just for comparison Win 2000 only needs about 3Gb of HDD space and runs most things with just 256Mb of RAM or less
I thought XP was bad enough, Vista is sounding worse all the time - I wish they'd do a simplified version without all the rubbish

speedyxjs

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Iv heard some bad things about vista but my dad has vista in his office (Mainly used for word and excel) and has had no problems.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

davidosullivan

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Mac laptop. OSX Tiger. wouldnt go back to windoze.
Humbug

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously Microsoft is so "confident" (snigger!) in vista that they are planning to release a Service Pack 3 for XP. See here: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-XP-Service-Pack-3-Leaked-Details-57825.shtml

I have to say that I am using XP with SP 2 and now (some years later) it is more or less OK.

I have been toying with Linux - may have a play over Xmas. I downloaded Kubuntu and it looks quite good. My only major concern is that I am not familiar with how to set things up, tweak them etc. whereas I am with Windows

[Edited on 12.12.2007 by Humbug]

bonzoronnie

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Vista

I recently built a new system.

I thought I would treat myself to an Honest to goodness genuine copy of Vista home premium.

The system hs dual core processor. 4 gig latest memory. 512mb Graphic card. etc

Although I like the look of vista.

The system is very SlOOOOOW. I am well dissapointed.

I intend to return to XP Pro in the new year.

Ronnie

tegwin

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I built a new computer...3Gig intel dualcore, 2Gb DDR2 RAM and 180Gb SATA disk...

Stuck vista ultimate on it and it was crap tastic! So slow...

So I have switched back to XP, and it is damn fast!!!

Only downside is that XP wont support more than 2 Gig of ram...

Richard Quinn

posted on 12/12/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
It does have its uses but no for a gaming machine. I find it quite good on the home laptop as it is fairly user-friendly and recognises most peripherals, cameras, phones etc without having to try to remember what you did with the CD with the software/drivers on. It does need a lot of resources though!
mcerd1

posted on 12/12/07 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
.....recognises most peripherals, cameras, phones etc without having to try to remember what you did with the CD with the software/drivers on. It does need a lot of resources though!

personally I never bother with the CD's for those things anyway - they are normally a bit out of date - sometimes alot out of date
I always try to download the upto date stuff (most good brands make it easy)

onzarob

posted on 12/12/07 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug

I have been toying with Linux - may have a play over Xmas. I downloaded Kubuntu and it looks quite good. My only major concern is that I am not familiar with how to set things up, tweak them etc. whereas I am with Windows

[Edited on 12.12.2007 by Humbug]

Get Ubuntu its great and it autoconfigs and downloads drivers/updates.I had the same reservation but it leaps ahead of the old Linux setups.

You can boot on the live cd and reduce the Windows partition and it installs 'Grub' allowing you to easily boot into either OS.

I had a few issues with wireless but the help on the ubuntu forums and help pages is also comprehensive.

I can'y say enough about it, i also run it on my laptop and have Vista so I can run whichever flavor of OS.

But Vista does hammer memory 2gB min.

flak monkey

posted on 12/12/07 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

Only downside is that XP wont support more than 2 Gig of ram...

I think XP should take 4Gb of ram max, but i may be wrong. Something to do with 32bit software and the memory controller. No idea myself. Maybe they can bump it up when they release SP3, similar to the way they put large disk support on win 98 ()

Looks like i'll buy myself another copy of win xp pro then!

Sera

indykid

posted on 12/12/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
only solidworks 2008 is compatible with vista, should you fancy procuring a copy. hard to come by on torrents, or so i've heard........ i'd imagine it's the same for most other CAD software.

my laptop came with vista. i'm so glad i have XP back on it!
tom

Benzine

posted on 12/12/07 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Vista is the best OS microsoft has made, I have home premium 64 and it's excellent. Faster than XP and runs DX10. Vista is designed for multicore CPUs and is quicker and more secure than XP will ever be. XP is just a beefed up version of 2K which is ancient.

Also pc>mac ^__^

[Edited on 12/12/07 by Benzine]

flak monkey

posted on 12/12/07 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I could always do the old fashioned thing and dual boot

Sera

britishtrident

posted on 12/12/07 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Stick to Xp, Vista runs OK with loads & loads of memory ie 2+ gb and a lot the crap turned off. Some older non M$ apps run into problems.

The 64bit version is much less solid.

In another couple years it will have settled down just as all the previous Windows versions did.

Under the hood Vista is really still Xp but with much more crap bolted on. Like coozer I also think Window 2000 (aka NT5) was the best version of Windows for serious use.

If you wanted the computer for anything else other than gaming I would say stick a copy of Mint Linux on it (a properly sorted Ubuntu wit all the multimedia and wireless stuff working)

Benzine

posted on 12/12/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
lol k
twybrow

posted on 12/12/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
We should all go back to Windows 95 or 98 - your machines would start up in about 3 seconds!

locogeoff

posted on 12/12/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Got Vista home on the livingroom laptop, it's fine for surfing and email etc.

OTOH I've just spent a good few days trying to help someone get one of our products to run, only to find he was using vista, and guess what we have never tried to run our software on vista, and it looks like it doesn't run, and this was no fancy piece of code, just a simple comms program.

David Jenkins

posted on 12/12/07 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
We should all go back to Windows 95 or 98 - your machines would start up in about 3 seconds!

...and blue-screen every 30 minutes!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.