Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance Advice
panichat

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance Advice

If any of you have experience with dealing with insurance difficulties I would really welcome your input.
My 18 year old son was involved in an accident, the police attended and told him that the other driver was at fault in a number of ways. It turns out that the other driver is insured with the same company as us and he is stating that the accident was not his fault. We have 3rd party only cover and it seems as if the insurance company have a conflict of interests as if they support his claim they only have to pay out for one car, but if they support our claim they have to pay out for two (assuming he has fully comp cover).
They are now applying added pressure by saying that they won't cover our son for driving until the dispute is resolved.
It feels like they are taking the mickey.
We are really keen to get him driving again soon because it was a major blow to his confidence.
If we apply for insurance from another company are we required to make them aware of this pending dispute?
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Dave

davidosullivan

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well if the police wrote their notes properly they should be able to give a report to the insurance company, surely thats not disputable?

David

Paul TigerB6

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Are the police able to supply something to confirm that they consider the other driver at fault?? Personally i'd be seriously considering putting this in the hands of an independant solicitor if they are playing funny buggers, as its not only your excess at stake but the next 5 years of having to declare an accident which will cost a fortune for an 18 year old driver
bonzoronnie

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance

Did your son by any chance have leagal expenses cover on his policy.
It looks as you may have a long hard fight on your hands.

yes there is a definate conflict of interest.

Yes you will have to inform any new insurer of your sons recent claim. His new policy will be invalid if you do not.

This matter is probably going to be a long protracted affair. Witnesses, if any may help.

If you feel the insurance company has been unreasonable dont forget to make use of the insurance ombusman.

I hope it all works out OK though

Ronnie

[Edited on 13/12/07 by bonzoronnie]

[Edited on 13/12/07 by bonzoronnie]

bonzoronnie

posted on 13/12/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Police reports

I am afraid the insurance company's act as both judge & jury when deciding claims.

They may choose to ingnore any police report.
Especially if doing so is going to save them money

The motorist gets a rough deal from motor insurers

Ronnie

Duncan_P

posted on 13/12/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance companies make me mad, they just seem like a law unto themselves.

If it really was a non-fault accident then there is a guy on Pistonheads who runs a company thats sorts these type of things out. His username is Anniesdad do a search for him on pistonheads. I have no personal experience of using him but he does have a good reputation for sorting insurance issues out.

He Runs this company
Europa

Mole

posted on 13/12/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
What was said at the scene by the police is no doubt useless. Highly unlikely to be recorded.

If your son intends to pursue the other party then his insurers should more or less stay out of it. The point about legal expenses insurance is worth pursuing further. Does he have this? Might be worth checking with his insurance broker.

Not sure why the would not cover him to drive. Am I right in thiking his car is a write off and they are talking about not allowing another vehicle on cover?

[Edited on 13/12/07 by Mole]

twybrow

posted on 13/12/07 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Mole - have another read of the post. I think the problem here is the fact that the insuracne company is the same for both parties!

twybrow

posted on 13/12/07 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Mole - have another read of the post. I think the problem here is the fact that the insuracne company is the same for both parties!

Mole

posted on 13/12/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
No haven't misread. If you pursue another party such as using legal expenses insurance they shouldn't interfere.

panichat jnr's representatives pursue insurers of other party disregarding the fact they also insure him. If prospects are reasonable and insurers wouldn't conceed reps issue proceedings against driver and assuming they win insurers pay claim.

Just because they insure both parties doesn't give them the right to take away your right to pursue the other driver (although I wouldn't expect them to help).

panichat

posted on 13/12/07 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Our son is a named driver on our policy so this could have a rather large impact on our motoring costs.
He was given a police incident number at the scene which he has provided to the insurers but they don't seem to be rushing to use it.
At least I do feel relieved that he wasn't hurt - the other stuff matters less.
Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
Dave

Mole

posted on 13/12/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
They are unlikely to rush to do a great deal. Ignoring the huge backlogs all insurers have now they have nothing to gain by settling the matter. My point is that you don't have to rely on them and it doesn't prevent you doing anything.
bonzoronnie

posted on 13/12/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Legal cover

Out of interest.

Are you a member of any motoring organisation, RAC, AA for instance.

If you have the right cover, they might be able to advise you.

Just a thought

Ronnie

Paul TigerB6

posted on 13/12/07 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by panichat
Our son is a named driver on our policy so this could have a rather large impact on our motoring costs.
He was given a police incident number at the scene which he has provided to the insurers but they don't seem to be rushing to use it.
At least I do feel relieved that he wasn't hurt - the other stuff matters less.
Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
Dave

As you have an incident number from the police i would ask to speak to a manager rather than the average claims handler, and start using terms like "formal complaint", "insurance ombudsman" and "conflict of interest" next time you speak to them. Also make it clear you are prepared to pursue this matter and will take legal advice if required unless they settle the claim properly. Insurance companies are always trying it on but often back down if its easier / cheaper.

[Edited on 13/12/07 by Paul TigerB6]

turbodisplay

posted on 13/12/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
insurance ombudsman

I have a friend who is a loss adjuster (for home cover).
He says whenever a case is going to be taken to them, the company will 9 times out of 10 pay out.
The ombudsman normally sides with the claimant.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mole

posted on 13/12/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
The ombudsman charges the insurer if they ask to see their file. It is often cheaper to conceed than to allow the investigation to happen.
Mark Allanson

posted on 13/12/07 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
The ombudsman charges £300+vat to the insurer what ever the outcome, so if the claim is small they will fold.

If you still get problems, U2U me and I will give you the perfect solution. 3 other members have done this and got a full payout.

I used to be an motor insurance assessor!

Mark

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

02GF74

posted on 14/12/07 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
as you say, your son is unhurt so that is the main tning; the rest is money..... but netherless, give those b****rds a hard time until it really start to cost ya. Guess it confirms my lack of confidence with insurers, do anything to wiggle out of paying, but if you are one week late in sending yer money, you get all sorts of threatening letters about cancelling your insurance blah blah.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.