Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 FI 2003 Air filter
Kriss

posted on 18/12/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
R1 FI 2003 Air filter

Hi guys,

Wanted to know my options for air filters on the 2003 R1 engine. Its being built with a standard box, however, after owning a Clio V6 with a huge Pipercross induction kit I want that induction roar still. plus the added responce was so notiecable it was unreal - however thats a £270 bit of kit working on a 3ltr engine

so, is this gonna happen with a foam filter like westfield do?

is it best to stick with the standard air box?

will i look an utter goonie if i have a samco engine with standard box?

options and effects requested!

cheers boys!

hobbsy

posted on 18/12/07 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet clearance is one of the main issues why people go for the sausage filters.

Either that or you often have to cut quite a big hole to let the std airbox poke out.

Some people argue that the FI engine runs better with the airbox rather than a sausage filter.

I believe Andy Bates of AB Performance is or has developed an custom airbox that add decent ram air for the R1. He's certainly got one for the Fireblade - could be worth a call.

[Edited on 18/12/07 by hobbsy]

chockymonster

posted on 19/12/07 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
In the MNR the 2003 R1 lump sits higher. I seem to remember it's because the sump is deeper. This causes more problems when it comes to the airbox. I had to fit a scoop because the sausage filter fouled the bonnet!

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 19/12/07 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
I believe Andy Bates of AB Performance is or has developed an custom airbox that add decent ram air for the R1. [Edited on 18/12/07 by hobbsy]

Has he now? That is interesting. The other opttion which I quite like the look of is the Pipercross airbox system that uses a normal sausage-type baseplate.

It may not fit under the bonnet but would look a lot neater sticking-out than that standard airbox.

hobbsy

posted on 19/12/07 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
TimC,

How much is the Pipercross airbox?

Is that a connection for a ram pipe I see on the far end?

The AB one isn't particularily cheap (especially if you want it in carbon!) but he does have quite a bit of experience in this area.

The other advantage of the airbox is lower noise for trackdays (surprising how much induction noise there is - can catch you out on the drive by limits)

TimC

posted on 19/12/07 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's about £180 including the baseplate and the feeder pipe.

Noise is a worry but the thinnest panel filter only just fits under the taller version of the MNR bodywork so that's what I've gone for to start with.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.