Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cleaning/Painting a bike engine
bassett

posted on 23/12/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cleaning/Painting a bike engine

Got the yamaha R1 engine home the other night and some of the black pieces are a bit scuffed and scratched. Is it alright to mask the bolts and paint these bits with some smooth hammerite?
What about the main block as im having trouble cleaning it with a brush and petrol and still there is some minor staining and corrosion. Is there anything to use on it to bring it back to a really nice silver finish?
Cheers

[Edited on 23/12/07 by bassett]

Peteff

posted on 23/12/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a spray can of wheel silver and blow the lot over, then lacquer it. TFR spray for wheels gets it clean but that's acid as well or brick acid if it's really bad. but make sure you wash them off thoroughly.

[Edited on 23/12/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jambojeef

posted on 23/12/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I think painted bike engines can look great for 10mins then scruffy for ages so Ive avoided painting the block and only sprayed the odd engine cover if Ive had to take it off.

Hammerite is funny stuff with some metals Ally included so you need special metals primer on there first.

I reckon a bit of etch primer then some bog-o halfords stain black looks pretty good here and there - as for the block.....

Get something like "hammerite aluminium cleaner and restorer" or something like that - its in a red 2.5 litre bottle at Halfords and was on offer hence I tried it!

Its pretty good but basically the only functional ingredient as far as I can tell is the phosphoric acid. If this is the case any good quality alloy wheel cleaner will do the same job if you cant find the hammerite restorer stuff.

Spray it on and work it up into a lather and leave to get the stains out of the ally then wash off with lots of water.

Spray some MUC-OFF PTFE protector afterwards to drive the water out and leave a PTFE coating and a nice satin finish.

Thats what I did anyway

Geoff

Dangle_kt

posted on 23/12/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
why not strip it and then laquere it?

I think that looks a lot better.

Saying that, I had a mate who's engine weeped like someone at a wake after he tried to clean off old paint to repaint his engine. He got it shot blasted and the idiot who did it thought the faces were fair game. Took some blue and a lot of patience to sort.

Go steady out there!

yorkshire-engines

posted on 23/12/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
try some alloy wheel cleaner on engine block it will come up rather well but dont leave it on too long it goes grey and cant be removed

also i have sen battery acid used on a engine brought it up very clean but iv never tried it as it can eat into the ali and make it pourous

cheers malc

Hellfire

posted on 23/12/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
We cleaned ours with a rotating wire brush in a drill. We have not touched it since and it looks fine.

Steve

higgsti

posted on 24/12/07 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
i bought engine cleaner from netto for £1 a can brought mine up a treat then sprayed it with silicon spray also £1 form netto

[Edited on 24/12/07 by higgsti]

clutch_kick

posted on 24/12/07 at 03:22 AM Reply With Quote
Step 1 ... Face mask, with vapour filter. Can of petrol, and a good bristle brush.

Step 2 ... Nice warm, soapy power wash, rinse and dry it up immediately.

Step 3 ... Just leave it as it is, and give it a wipe or a dusting often! If you really feel that you have to ... lacquer it.

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 24/12/07 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'm told battery acid is particularly effective at bringing up corroded alloy castings. I'm planning to steam clean first (old wall paper steamer is ideal) then carefully apply battery acid and wash off thoroughly once desired effect is achieved.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

bassett

posted on 1/2/08 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Best solution was as Hellfire recommended the wire brush drill attachment. Took off the dull greyish stuff and left it how i imagine it was new with a bright silver finish. If anyone else is considering this give you self a good day for it, cover all open pipes and get a few small and large attachments as it takes a while getting round all the fiddly parts.
Adam

mad gaz
Builder

Posts 190
Registered 20/9/07
Location doncaster

Photo Archive Go!
Building: indy blade built indy spec r ,another indy r busa

posted on 1/2/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
alloy wheel cleaner and powder coating Rescued attachment gulf indy 013.jpg
Rescued attachment gulf indy 013.jpg

bassett

posted on 4/2/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
That does look mint gaz but bet it took a while to get done.
kastrato

posted on 4/2/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Gaz where is your battery?

MK INDY fireblade

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.