Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: nissan primera help
wacomuk

posted on 26/12/07 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
nissan primera help

The ABS light has come on the trusty Nissan diesel, does anyone know if they have a fault reader built in or some way of telling whats wrong with out getting slapped at a garage? the MOT is up early Jan so need to get it fixed

its a w11 1999 8v diesel

http://www.insightbookingsolutions.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/12/07 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
I am assuming that you have jumped on the brakes in the wet to see if the ABS really is broken?

If it's fine, I'd try disconnecting the battery for an hour or so as some fault readers have no internal battery backup, certainly my Bluebirds one doesn't. If that doesn’t work take out the bulb that lights up the warning (my tactic for pesky maintenance schedule lights ), but only if the brakes do work…

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oadamo

posted on 27/12/07 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
for the mot if it has abs it has to work. the bulb lights for a few secs then gos out and they check for this.mine failed on this. i just wired mine up to the airbag light
adam

blueshift

posted on 27/12/07 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a connector like this somewhere under the dash or in the centre console, you can try reading faults with a generic OBDII fault reader:

Though a phone call to Nissan with your VIN number would answer your question quickly.

iceman26

posted on 27/12/07 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
check front abs rotor rings they crack
NigeEss

posted on 27/12/07 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iceman26
check front abs rotor rings they crack

I'll second this, especially if the abs making odd noises as if it's trying to activate even under
gentle braking.

Not been able to buy just the ring so far so it's replace the whole cv joint.

wacomuk

posted on 27/12/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
the ABS does not work (locks up)

the ABS light came on afew months ago after i let a pad get to low and metal fillings covered the sensor. a quick clean and it was fine.
A few weeks go by and the light comes back on so i cleaned the sensor again, i changed the fluid at the same time as it was due

the light has been on since

it does have a connector in the fuse box but its different to that one (less pins)

love the wiring up to the air bag light!

http://www.insightbookingsolutions.co.uk

kipper

posted on 27/12/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 2003 nissan primera diesel, I had to have a front tyre changed recently and soon after the abs warning came on Took it back to the garage ( Nissan dealer ) they plugged it into their annaliser and no fault was found .The fitter then noticed they had fitted a tyre with a slightly lower profile to standard and this was causing the abs warning.
something about the aspect ratio of the two wheel being different. They fitted a right size tyre and the fault disapeared.
Hope this helps
Regards Kipper.

rusty nuts

posted on 27/12/07 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Not had any problems with a Nissan ABS but spent ages trying to trace a fault on a Rover 600 series . Replaced both the blown bulbs to fix the stop lights and cured the ABS.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.