Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Large Problem - Locked Mini Front Wheel
Duncan_P

posted on 28/12/07 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Large Problem - Locked Mini Front Wheel

Hi All,

I have a bit of a problem, well to be more accurate my brother who was visiting from Belgium has a bit of a problem.

Driving their (old style) mini, it started making rather strange knocking/grinding noise so we started heading back home. Unfortunately shortly after the nearside front wheel locked. Causing us to need to get recovered to the garage.

This poses a bit of a problem as they are supposed to be heading back home tomorrow but most places dont seem to be open till after new year to look at it.

My current best guess is something to do with the diff, but does anyone have any better ideas?

Its a bit difficult to test the theory as the car is still at the garage but it would be rather handy to have some idea of what they are dealing with.

[Edited on 28/12/07 by Duncan_P]

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 28/12/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
It could be the diff. Some info here. I personaly have never had them fail but it can be a problem. Other possibilities: CV joint jammed. I have heard of the front brake springs snapping and the shoes locking if it has drums.
Good Luck
Ronnie
Ps. How much do they want for the non running Mini?

Just did a google search and found this West Sussex Mini Owners Club. Maybe somebody there could help you out.

[Edited on 28/12/07 by TGR-ECOSSE]

donut

posted on 28/12/07 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
My 1st thought was diff pin, either that or a shagged g/box but i would say diff.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Duncan_P

posted on 28/12/07 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, for the info and the pointers I will pass them on

quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE

Ps. How much do they want for the non running Mini?

It's actually his GF's and she loves it totally, so i think the chances of parting it from her even if it is broken are somewhat slim

Duncan_P

posted on 28/12/07 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
My 1st thought was diff pin, either that or a shagged g/box but i would say diff.

Thanks for the reply donut.

Could it be the gearbox as its only one wheel that is locked and it stays locked with the clutch down etc?

rusty nuts

posted on 28/12/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt it would be the diff as only the N/S wheel has locked up. Does the car have disc or drum brakes? If drum try letting off the brake adjustors using the correct tool, or try undoing the bleed nipple . If the wheel then turns it is brake related. If the wheel does not turn it may be the wheel bearing failed, might be better to undo the hub nut, the track rod end and the top and bottom ball jonts, pull the drive shaft from the hub then try turning the drive flange. HTH.
hillbillyracer

posted on 28/12/07 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
The diff is unlikely, it would try to lock both wheels. I've never had it happen to me but I've known a few that have done it & rather than lock the wheels they generally split the diff casing with a bang & with no warning of the impending disaster.
I'd agree with Rusty Nuts, most likely brake related & more so if it's drum brakes where a lining could come off.
The drums are only held on by two screws when the wheel is off, providing they aint siezed it should be easy to fix if you can get some shoes.
It could be the CV joint but usually you'll get some big vibrations through the steering wheel as the joint jams & trys to steer the wheels to the angle the joint is jammed at, I've never seen one actually lock the wheel.

britishtrident

posted on 28/12/07 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Seized wheel cylinder

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

posted on 28/12/07 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillbillyracer
if it's drum brakes where a lining could come off.

Had this happen and couldn't believe that it would lock the wheel solid.

Good luck with it. :-)

britishtrident

posted on 29/12/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guest
quote:
Originally posted by hillbillyracer
if it's drum brakes where a lining could come off.

Had this happen and couldn't believe that it would lock the wheel solid.

Good luck with it. :-)

It will likewise when a brake pad worn to the metal slips out and jams between the disc and caliper.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.