Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: calculating battery requirements
natehall

posted on 31/12/07 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
calculating battery requirements

Guys,

I have a pinto engine, which i want to use the smallest possible batter mounted inside the car, what i need to know is how many cranking amps do i need what battery should i get?

the car wont have any unneccessary electronics - just fuel injection and the electrics to get an mot

any help is very appreciated

Kind Regards

Nathan

If it aint broke, uprate it
if it is broke, uprate it

http://www.modders-uk.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 31/12/07 at 01:50 AM Reply With Quote
depends on what cc it is and if it's standard or high compression, you don't say.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 31/12/07 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
A mini battery will start a V12 jag engine, if the jag engine is well maintained and the ignition system is spot on. A well maintained Pinto doesn't present a problem.
I always fit a mini battery unless there is a clear and distinct need to fit something else.
As stated above, do you have a mega CR ?

RazMan

posted on 31/12/07 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
The smallest batteries are probably the gel type - which are tiny. My Odyssey battery is not the smallest in the range by any means (I can still hold it in one hand though) but it will easily crank a Chevvy V8 with its 680 Amps! A gel type motorcycle battery of around 400 Amps should whizz a stock Pinto around nicely.

p.s. You can reduce your power requirements considerably by fitting LED lights [hint hint]

[Edited on 31-12-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Odyssey Battery.jpg
Rescued attachment Odyssey Battery.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/12/07 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
A mini battery will start a V12 jag engine, if the jag engine is well maintained and the ignition system is spot on. A well maintained Pinto doesn't present a problem.
I always fit a mini battery unless there is a clear and distinct need to fit something else.
As stated above, do you have a mega CR ?

your quite right off course, but when the engine is not so happy to start on the first turn or the weathers gone cold, that's when your problems start.

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/12/07 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
p.s. You can reduce your power requirements considerably by fitting LED lights [hint hint]

shameless bit of advertising there

natehall

posted on 31/12/07 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
cc is 2090 running high compression around 10-11:1 iirc

this odysey battery - do you have alink as to where i can find one?

If it aint broke, uprate it
if it is broke, uprate it

http://www.modders-uk.co.uk

RazMan

posted on 1/1/08 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Linky

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.