Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why Didn't Santa Bring Me Any Motivation!
scootz

posted on 1/1/08 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Why Didn't Santa Bring Me Any Motivation!

I have a Caterham chassis full of rivet holes that need to be welded up and prepared for powdercoat, and a Formula Vauxhall Lotus that needs converting into a road-car... but I just can't be arsed heading out into the cold damp garage (and have felt this way for a month)!

I seriously need a kick up the backside!

[Edited on 1/1/08 by scootz]

RichieW

posted on 1/1/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I know how you feel. I haven't got as much done as I would have like over the the xmas hols. I had a bad cold then caught another strain of man flu from my girlfriend just as I was recovering. I am just getting over it now and I go back to work on thursday. Think I managed about three days working on the car (=afternoons as after about 3 hours I'm knackered). I had hoped to do more but even the little bits mean progress and the small jobs are slowly but surely adding up.

My aim is to a have a basic rolling chassis without any panels by the end of Jan. Wish the garage wasn't so cold and cramped.

davidosullivan

posted on 1/1/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Feel good

I've been feeling like that for ages, my embarasing story is that I started the build many years and three girlfriends ago. After a while, and two girlfriends, I spotted a pattern. The third has lasted a long time, but the car has suffered for it. However, I've been a bit more focussed on "enjoying life" recently and have started working on the car again. I've not got all the things done I wanted to but I've got some other things done that I hadn't intended to. I can't say its been easy as I have so much still to do it's been daunting, but someone on here the other day said don't make list of things just get on with it AND I have and I feel very satisfied at the moment. So stick with it

David

[edit]Oh and "KICK!"[edit]

[Edited on 1/1/08 by davidosullivan]

To insanity and beyond http://www.davidosullivan.co.uk

martyn_16v

posted on 1/1/08 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Same here. No lighting in the garage means that I can only work for a few hours on the brightest days before it gets too dark to see what i'm doing (mostly the wiring for the last month). It's starting to annoy me that it's taking so long to do the easy bit (i'm an electrical engineer)

I've been coping with it through retail therapy, i've now got a massive stockpile of goodies to get me through the next couple of months worth of build

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/1/08 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
Same here. No lighting in the garage means that I can only work for a few hours on the brightest days before it gets too dark to see what i'm doing (mostly the wiring for the last month). It's starting to annoy me that it's taking so long to do the easy bit (i'm an electrical engineer)

I've been coping with it through retail therapy, i've now got a massive stockpile of goodies to get me through the next couple of months worth of build

You could put make a 12v system using batteries and 12v inspection lights (still very bright). Even knock together a simple wind generator using an old alternator and some hand made wooden blades, nothing fancy needed.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 2/1/08 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Whenever i need inspiration, i just read 'the book'

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

scootz

posted on 2/1/08 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the 'kick' David... can you make it any harder - it's still too chilly to consider heading out THERE!
Guinness

posted on 2/1/08 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Whenever I felt my enthusiasm for the build dropping, I used to blag a passenger ride out with someone who'd already finished their build / bought a completed car etc.

The feeling of blasting around the lanes (track officer!) was enough to get me back in the garage and get on with the build.

Perhaps you could get in touch with someone who has a completed car in your neck of the woods and blag a ride out with them one day?

Cheers

Mike

BenB

posted on 2/1/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

You could put make a 12v system using batteries and 12v inspection lights (still very bright). Even knock together a simple wind generator using an old alternator and some hand made wooden blades, nothing fancy needed.

Big 12v car battery, and some 12v fluroscent lights. Jobs a good 'un. Used to get 5-6 hours light using that system (even used to do some drilling with a 12v "cordless" drill with a cable wacked up it's chuff to the car battery cos the drill battery was pants).

coozer

posted on 2/1/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I lost my go after I'd been on holiday in September!. Its far two cold out there now but as the thing is running I just keep starting it up for no reason other than it makes the dog bark What a hoot!

Just got some wheels in the Halfords sale so that should get me going again....

Thats if i can resist the KTM 640LC thats for sale in M&S Newcastle!!

Back to work today after 2 weeks off and all the diy things I was going to do gave way to long sessions in the pub....

Happy new year all,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

martyn_16v

posted on 2/1/08 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:

Big 12v car battery, and some 12v fluroscent lights. Jobs a good 'un. Used to get 5-6 hours light using that system (even used to do some drilling with a 12v "cordless" drill with a cable wacked up it's chuff to the car battery cos the drill battery was pants).

I had thought about something like that a while ago, and then promptly forgotten about it I've got a bit of a collection of half-knackered car batteries, might have to re-visit the idea...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.