Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: deisel tuning ecu boxes (thigermibob)
jacko

posted on 4/1/08 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
deisel tuning ecu boxes (thigermibob)

does anybody know anithing about them ? can they damage your engine ? considering one for a 2.2 jag engine same as mondeo st 2.2 tdci
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 4/1/08 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
a good way to bugger up a duel mass fly wheel so i'm told, how ever hasnt stopped me having my car re mapped, i've had my 1.9 16V vectra taken from 150 ps to 204 ps on the rollers.

i would always remap than use a tuning box, how ever a box can be taken off i suppose.

[Edited on 4/1/08 by graememk]

jacko

posted on 4/1/08 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
why does it domage the dual mass fywheel?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 4/1/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
extra torque

Here try this on ebay

[Edited on 4/1/08 by graememk]

jacko

posted on 4/1/08 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for that this advert was the reason for asking do you have experiance of this system ? cheers jacko
dan__wright

posted on 4/1/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
they have pretty good results on the vaux / fiat diesels but the dont do the engine much good.

a load of people on one of the vaux forums took then for a remap and quite a few of the tuning box cars had sooted up badly and also damaged some sensors.

Remaps will give you good same gains though.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

graememk

posted on 4/1/08 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
your ok as long as you havent got a dpf on the car

llionellis

posted on 4/1/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I had a Dragon box on a 1.8 TDCI Focus for about 15.000 miles. It made an appreciable difference to the performance with only a small decrease in MPG. I had no problems during the time I had the car.
Llion

fatfranky

posted on 4/1/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I had the Tandem tuning box on a 2.0 Mondeo TDCI, made an appreciable difference and improved the fuel economy.

I chose a tuning box because it was a company car and i could remove the box when it went in for a service.

I only sold it about a month ago on ebay for about £50

cossiebri

posted on 4/1/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I got one of these..
Linky

Put it on a 2 week old picasso hdi!!(had to run it in for 1,000 miles first)
is adjustable for towing/power etc, worked well

[Edited on 4/1/08 by cossiebri]

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

roadrunner

posted on 4/1/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I had a tunning box on my old golf Graham, made a big difference to the performance with no problems for the two years it was fitted, from popping the bonnet, it was fitted in five seconds, great.

hobbsy

posted on 4/1/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm after one of these for my C250TD (OM605 engine - 2.5litre 5cyl). If anyone has seen one let me know!

Other option is sending the ECU off for chipping but its not cheap on this one!

However given the option of a proper remap (which you can't do with this one) I'd go for that every time as its better and often cheaper. Also a lot of them can be done via the OBD2 diag port.

RazMan

posted on 4/1/08 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Dragon box on my 325 and 525 diesels - made a hell of a difference to performance (which was adjustable) but mpg did suffer quite a bit (suprised some 'sports cars' though)

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

hobbsy

posted on 4/1/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
How much did it cost?

When I looked at these ages ago they were the £200-300 mark but now seen a few on ebay at around the £100-£150. Inferior or just more competition so getting cheaper.

Chippy

posted on 4/1/08 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Dragon fitted to my Citreon 2ltr HDI. But unlike llionellis my fuel consumption went from 47 mpg to 55 mpg, and the extra power is quite noticable. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

hillbillyracer

posted on 4/1/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm on the forum for VW T4 Transporters, there's a couple of lads on there done a lot of research into tuning the 2.5 5 cylinder TDI engines. They found most of the tuning boxes & some of the remaps were pretty crap.
By fitting different injector nozzles & finding the right man for the remap they've got a real 155-160bhp up from 88 & 102 for no loss (other than your wallet!) where most others were much less than their quoted power, chucking loads of smoke out or both!
The place they've found to be best is Chip Wizards.

jacko

posted on 6/1/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thankyou for the info
Jacko

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.