Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: xenon lights
bobs bangers

posted on 5/1/08 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
xenon lights

Can you get xenons for 7 type kit cars ?
caber

posted on 5/1/08 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
There are some kits to retrofit H4 type lamps so theoretically it is possible but expensive! check Ebay.

Caber

RazMan

posted on 5/1/08 at 02:24 AM Reply With Quote
Watch out though - H4 is notoriously bad for these kits. Single filament bulbs work reasonably well as the light source is easier to place correctly - twin filaments are a nightmare and usually end up with lots of beam scatter, dazzling everyone on the road.

All of these kits are technically illegal and will fail MOT unless they have (in theory) auto levelling and washers.

I fitted my conversion (H7) and got away with it - superb brightness with the same excellent beam pattern.

Use your own judgement but be aware you will have to replace your old halogen bulbs at MOT time.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 5/1/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
To be honest, I can't see why you would want to. I've driven my Indy at night on dozens of occasions. The light output from the big 7" standard lights is frankly un-believable.

It's like daylight, with light a good distance in front and all over the road and both kerbs. Several times I've had to check that I haven't been driving round with the main beams on!

Put the main beams on when on a dark country lane and it's like someone turned the sun on 50 yards in front of me.

I used to have a BMW E39 which was to be honest dangerous at night. My new Seat Leon is much better, but still nothing compared to the Indy.

Try the standard 7" first before spending money on converting them.

Mike

David Jenkins

posted on 5/1/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I agree about the 7" headlights - more than enough light for seeing where you're going down country lanes!

You could also fit the high-brightness legal H4 bulbs that Steve from SVC was describing a little while ago.

The Great Fandango

posted on 5/1/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
But if your were interested in a xenon conversion these guys appear to be selling a kit for £139.00...

LarkSpeed

I've seen some smaller companies at kit car shows with their systems. From memory one such system actually rotated a shield/cup in front of the lamp to create a dipped effect.

Again, don't know if they are road legal and don't know if I'd bother. Halford's best range of standard (but high intensity etc. etc.) bulbs were on offer not so long back, buy one get one free.

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

Hellfire

posted on 5/1/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
To be honest, I can't see why you would want to. I've driven my Indy at night on dozens of occasions. The light output from the big 7" standard lights is frankly un-believable.

It's like daylight, with light a good distance in front and all over the road and both kerbs. Several times I've had to check that I haven't been driving round with the main beams on!

Put the main beams on when on a dark country lane and it's like someone turned the sun on 50 yards in front of me.

My new Seat Leon is much better, but still nothing compared to the Indy.

Try the standard 7" first before spending money on converting them.

Mike

Now that is weird....

the Indy's lights (from SVC) are indeed awesome, but on MY Seat Leon FR (which has Bi-Xenon) they are even better. I have heard without the afore mentioned washers that should they overheat and the result is that they can explode which emits poisonous substances (not sure if this is correct or not)

BTW - I'm now a Member of the Seatcupra.net forum, which is without doubt the best Forum I've ever been on - thanks Mark.

Steve

[Edited on 5-1-08 by Hellfire]

Guinness

posted on 5/1/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, my Leon is just a cooking spec one with normal lights. Got it as a "pre-registered" so didn't get the option to upgrade the lights.

Cheers

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.