Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who likes carbon fiber?
sgraber

posted on 6/1/08 at 04:14 AM Reply With Quote
Who likes carbon fiber?

I bought 10 yards of CF the other day to make a bunch of interior and exterior bits for my La Bala project. For some reason a bunch of stuff started to get covered in it. Such as the Honda 929R that belongs to the body shop owner where my car is at. Not that it's any lighter with an extra coat of CF but wow does it look neat!

And in this last one you have to look very close, but the turn signals are orange leds that have been inserted between each of the holes in the fairing and then blended in under the clearcoat.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 6/1/08 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
Show off

I have to agree that it does look good though

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
that looks very nice!

Here's mine, but mine isn't overlay, it's just CF.

Steve

Ivan

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Wow - looks great - how did he do it though - I presume he used the original as a male mould and then what, did he vacuum bag it on and then hand build up layers of clear epoxy or polyurethane with copius sanding.

Or did he just take a mould of the original part.

Bigheppy

posted on 6/1/08 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
If you just want the carbon fiber look without the cost just lay up using a clear gellcoat then add black pigment to to layup resin. By adjusting the amount of pigment or colour different effects can be very effective.
This is the locost way
Use woven cloth tho not chopped strand

[Edited on 6/1/08 by Bigheppy]

cidersurfer

posted on 6/1/08 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
How? How? How? That looks sweet...

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

speedyxjs

posted on 6/1/08 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Johneturbo

posted on 6/1/08 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Some very nice pieces there.
might be a dumb question. but is carbon fibre heat resistent? as i was thinking about cutting a piece for around my manifold exit

twybrow

posted on 6/1/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
It is the resin you need to worry about, not really the carbon. If it is epoxy, you should be ok up to around 150C+, but polyester I would go a bit lower than that. Chances are if it does get too ot, it will change colour long so you should be able to tell if the heat is too much...

sgraber

posted on 6/1/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I think anyone with fiberglass experience can probably get the hang of this. There is a lot of extra steps after you lay the carbon down to get the coat that glossy.

The plastic fender was the hardest piece as the carbon kept wanting to separate. He waited until the gelcoat was just tacky before placing down the CF.

It will not make your pieces any lighter and is just for posers only to do it this way! The pieces I am making on my car are true CF layups but not bagged or oven baked, just squeegied. so I am only 1/2 poser! LOL.

Carbon in a 2x2 twill weave costs about $40 a yard but that yard is 48" wide. so 36"x48" = $40. Not too bad for the effect.

The key to the overlay is to brush down a coat of epoxy resin first. The carbon needs to drape naturally over the part since pulling it tends to distort the weave. To make them that shiny you need to wait for the part to cure, then sand off any bubbles etc and spray on automotive clearcoat that is mixed hard. You will need to hand sand and DA sand many times and reapply clear to build up enough layers. Final finish is achieved with wet sand out to 3000 and buffing wheels.

Did I mention it's time consuming?

My bodywork guy has also carbon covered the stainless exhaust. Hoping it doesn't discolor!

Steve Graber

Tralfaz

posted on 6/1/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Steve,

I waved to you in Cave Creek when we flew into Phoenix last week....I guess you didn't see me.

T

Mave

posted on 7/1/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

I was wondering: when he laid the CF on the epoxy; did he add more epoxy at that stage, or did he wait for the epoxy below to cure first?
I've done similar things, and added epoxy while the epoxy below was still wet. Then it's easy to distort the pattern, as the fibres are gliding around.
But now I'm wondering; when you let the base cure first, the CF will be pretty much immovable. And then you can safely add epoxy without distorting the pattern.

Just curious what he did........it looks fantastic.

sgraber

posted on 7/1/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I saw him brushing a layer of epoxy over the entire surface before the lower layer had kicked off. Definitely using a light touch. But the CF sticks to the lower coat of epoxy so you can do that.

FYI it didn't look very good until almost the very end, and I was wondering how crappy it was going to look! But once he had enough layers of clearcoat applied and took the polishing compound and buffer to it the difference was amazing. The process takes more than several days as you have to wait between coats and then do your sanding. I think 5 layers of clear builds up enough surface to really put the polish on.

Hope that helps.

Graber

quote:
Originally posted by Mave
Steve,

I was wondering: when he laid the CF on the epoxy; did he add more epoxy at that stage, or did he wait for the epoxy below to cure first?
I've done similar things, and added epoxy while the epoxy below was still wet. Then it's easy to distort the pattern, as the fibres are gliding around.
But now I'm wondering; when you let the base cure first, the CF will be pretty much immovable. And then you can safely add epoxy without distorting the pattern.

Just curious what he did........it looks fantastic.

Steve Graber

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.