Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car radio help - completely OT!
chrsgrain

posted on 6/1/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Car radio help - completely OT!

I want to put modern electronics into an old (classic) car radio I have... has anyone any idea where to get the electronics? Want a small 12v FM receiver + amplifier preferably one that could be doctored to take an external CD input as well???

Tried everywhere on the web I can think of but have drawn a blank!

Thanks

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

blakep82

posted on 6/1/08 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
probably can do, but if its an old stereo, you would have trouble controlling the tuner (unless you wanted to keept he manual dial, but i wouldn't call an FM receiver with manual dial and needle 'modern') , amps can probably replaced easy enough though.

basically, i think you'd need to do a fair bit of work to the control panel on the front, you may as well just buy a new one.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

fatfranky

posted on 6/1/08 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno if this helps but a mate of mine has a Porsche speedster replica, his solution was to use a modern stereo with an "old Skool" fascia over the front of it (the fascia was just the front chopped off a knackered radio.

Last time I spoke to him i think he's now using an MP3 player with built in FM linked to some sort of amplifier so it's not visible and still has the Dummy fascia in place.

oadamo

posted on 6/1/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
did you see pimp my ride (i no iam sad lol)
they had an 8 track radio and put a ipod in the cassete tape. and put all the new bits in the old radio.
adam

[Edited on 6/1/08 by oadamo]

caber

posted on 6/1/08 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Vintage Wireless 0161 973 0438 too oldskool to have a website!

Other possibility is to install a modern system in the glovebox and hide the speakers behind perforated vinyl in the door cards, i am helping a mate do this in his convertible Herald, as it can't be seen no temptation to thieves!

Caber

Dutchman

posted on 7/1/08 at 12:37 AM Reply With Quote
it is easy , make a panel with micro switches that is behind old school faceplate , I guess on the face plate U have some buttons ... and then link it to some cheap USB MP3 player ...

about the amp ... well something like this is every HU
http://www.oselectronics.com/downloads/TDA1554Q_CNV_2.pdf

instead of USB MP3 you can use something like this for FM
http://www.oselectronics.com/downloads/TDA7000.pdf

any electronic amateur can help U with this

Tarzan English with foreign accent!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 7/1/08 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Don't forget analog radio is being phased out!!!! If you take as long to build projects as I do you'ld have it finished just in time to listen to the signal being switched off....
chrsgrain

posted on 7/1/08 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking along the lines of 'dutchman' using the current press buttons on the face and control knobs to work modern internal electronics, just not sure where to get them from, breaking down a new car radio is a problem as they are all so damn complicated! Don't want RDS etc etc, just want to be able to tune to an FM station and make it louder or quieter!!

Wasn't going to worry about DAB - yet!

Chris

Humbug

posted on 7/1/08 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Google is your friend!

These people will convert the old radio to modern components (no idea on price)
http://www.radios.freeserve.co.uk/.

If it was DIY I would be tempted to keep the original fascia and hinge it to hide a modern unit underneath

02GF74

posted on 7/1/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
interesting project

amplifier part is easy

30 W stereaoe big enuf for ya? you may need a different shaped heat sink to fit your case.

FM tuner - as someone said, the tuning part may be tricky so I would suggest looking for a small one that is auto tuning - one but to go up in freq, and other to go down,

somethinkg like this?

You would then need to change the tuning knob so it is a rotary switch and wired to this FM tuner - the display won't work - but does that really matter?

both items ^^^ are chosen to be as locost as possible.

ADDED. search maplin for FM TUNER KIT - 3 items pop up. If you are able to figure out the tuning mechnaism of the original radio (varaible capacitor - or is the am only?) then you could put that intot he kit circuit and if the right valuye, the dial would still be correct- I doubt it is that easy to do though.

[Edited on 7/1/08 by 02GF74]

chrsgrain

posted on 7/1/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
That's ^ the sort of thing I was after.... Had searched Maplin but with no luck! Ideally I would have the buttons on the front as auto tune up/down and the volume knob still doing the volume..

I know there are people out there who can do it for you, but I thought it would be fun to try DIY! They must get they're parts from somewhere...

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.