Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Concerning change at SVA for the BEC's
zxrlocost

posted on 8/1/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Concerning change at SVA for the BEC's

Hi

having now SVA'd quite a few cars theres a chap who processes your SVA forms thats all he does nothing more nothing less

he has brought it upon himself to take on the Kit car Industry and is doing everything he can to make your SVA as awkward as possible especially bike engines

two things within the last two months

1)you used to be able to send just your SVA form off as amateur built they would write back, you'd tick the box and away you go

now when he writes back he wants receipts and PICTURES of your car being built by yourself not internet pics either.even then he ums and R's

2)Bike engine cars have always put MAX Power at about 7krpm for the noise test he is now checking most cars and finding info on the web about the engines so is much wiser

then phoning the applicant being a smart A! and asking them why they put 7kprm when max power is 10,500krpm

I cant imagine this helping our noise test for bike engines especially if your car is tested by example Mark at Shrewsbury SVA who's basic first words were no kit car gets past me first time!!!! he would love to sink his teeth into this!! and no doubt 90% of the other SVA army would!

all the government/Vosa are interested in is HGV's they wouldnt care less if the Kit Car Indutry went down the pan tomorrow

so take the best possibly presented car you can to the SVA and give them nothing to build a bridge from !!!!

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

zxrlocost

posted on 8/1/08 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
chris the cars Ive took have been amateur built by the customer so theres no trying to cheat the system.

Im sure you know what I mean by how awkward they could make things

I get pretty close with a standard r1 can for noise let alone adding another 3krpm to the limit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 8/1/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
for point 1, i thought the DVLA had been requesting proof of home build via pics for a while (god knows how pics prove a home build though)???
zxrlocost

posted on 8/1/08 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
paul I think its a case of theyve never enforced it and now are deciding to do it more

twybrow

posted on 8/1/08 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Surely they dont buy that an R1 reaches max power at 7k?

Bob C

posted on 8/1/08 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the noise test was at 3/4 max power revs? My old R1 max power was 10krevs so the noise test was done at 7500revs. With cat & R1 can I passed by ~0.3dB ;^)
Bob

BenB

posted on 8/1/08 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Just get a racetech tacho. They're infinately adjustable so the RPM you read doesn't necessary have to be the RPM you're doing (or a divison of 2/4/8)....
I passed SVA with my tacho accidentally reading 10% higher than it was actually doing... Oh well.....

Peteff

posted on 9/1/08 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
and no doubt 90% of the other SVA army would!

You make them sound like a bunch of ogres, Derby and Nottingham are not like that at all. I don't think they would fall for an over reading tachometer either though.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

matt_claydon

posted on 9/1/08 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

chris the cars Ive took have been amateur built by the customer so theres no trying to cheat the system

Putting the wrong RPM on the form sounds like cheating the system to me.

You BEC boys should think youselves lucky, the noise limit for type-approved cars is more like 78dB(A) - kit cars have been given a real let-off in this area!

Guinness

posted on 9/1/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
When I went for my SVA there was a pile of Kit Car magazines sat in the waiting room of the SVA area.

The one on the top was a year or two old, with a yellow Dax Rush with a ZZR1100 engine in it. In fact exactly the same mag that had been my inspiration at the start of my build.

Could have been coincidence?

David, the tester at Newcastle, accepted max power at 10,500 rpm, even though it revs to 11,000 rpm. He tested at 7,500 rpm.

As Chris says, I don't think it's a problem unless you are trying to fool them?

Mike

Hellfire

posted on 9/1/08 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
We actually put 10,500 rpm for max power on the blade engine (which it is). We struggled to get through the noise test but it passed 1st time after a bit of extra work and although they'd like to see photographs of the build in progress, they can't really enforce it.

Phil

ditchlewis

posted on 9/1/08 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I over heard a conversation between the SVA tester and his trainee in july which went along the lines that the sound test for becs would soon be done at full throttle and it would become very hard to pass with one

so this has been around for a while and must be being reviewed on the advice of all the testers, well thats my thinking my car is a CEC so i paid it little attention at the time.

i have just registared my car last month and i was'nt asked for photos of the build. i took them to the SVA to show some of the fixings like seat belt mounts that were hidden behind panels which Mr SVA thought was good and answered many of his questions.

ditch

zxrlocost

posted on 9/1/08 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
some cars I just present at the SVA

I know all about what to fill in

i Kind of wish Id never put this post now

I was trying to be helpful

meaning it as a right there obv gonna start clamping down on things so whats next

take the best presented car you can is that not a a fair comment I did put in my first post, and come off it you know some of the SVA blokes arent the nicest

oh well I know what I mean

02GF74

posted on 9/1/08 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
and although they'd like to see photographs of the build in progress, they can't really enforce it.

This could present problems for people who by a part built kit where the previous owner had no camera, like in my case.

Fortunately I had receiptr for ERW tubing and gas that satisfied the DVLCOSA people that chassis was home built.

nick205

posted on 9/1/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
and although they'd like to see photographs of the build in progress, they can't really enforce it.

This could present problems for people who by a part built kit where the previous owner had no camera, like in my case.

Fortunately I had receiptr for ERW tubing and gas that satisfied the DVLCOSA people that chassis was home built.

Not directed at you 02GF74, but receipts prove bugger all IMHO, particularly for metal.

JonBowden

posted on 9/1/08 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
this might be a dumb question, but why does it matter that a car is amateur built?

Jon

matt_claydon

posted on 9/1/08 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
this might be a dumb question, but why does it matter that a car is amateur built?

The rules are different (more lax) for amateur built cars - don't say the government never do anything for you

bigrich

posted on 9/1/08 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
as chris said mine was 92db at 8000 rpm
but i do have a pair of silencers not just one
I think the SVA guys have just wised up really and are now implementing the rules as they always should have been, not creating new rules. just think yourselfs lucky if you have got away with it before.

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

NS Dev

posted on 10/1/08 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You make them sound like a bunch of ogres, Derby and Nottingham are not like that at all. I don't think they would fall for an over reading tachometer either though.

Agree!

Never used Derby but Notts were great. They don't take any rubbish and they know what they are on about, but equally they are fair and offer good advice.

My noise check consisted of "oh that's already passed by the sound of it" followed by "suppose I'd better check it though"

He checked it, and it passed, cant' remember the figure but he guessed what the DB figure would be and was exactly right.

I guess other testing stations are not as fair.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 10/1/08 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
PS it really isn't difficult to make an exhaust quiet for SVA, although "somewhat restrictive"

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

DarrenW

posted on 10/1/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with all comments.

I SVA'd at Gosforth. They get some bad press but no-one can deny that they have personal safety at the forefront of their minds. The rules are applied in a strict way but at the end of the day a fail is a fail. Professional and constructive discussion is allowed and, for me anyway, i knew exactly what to do to get a pass. You cant say fairer than that.

Like most things in life im sure SVA will undergo several evolutions. But perhaps none more severe then when it was introduced for the first time. I really dont believe there is a vendetta against kit cars etc, as Mike says i also enjoyed the same selection of mags at Gosforth (except Mike may have enjoyed them more as some of the pages were.......... ). Maybe the VOSA guys get a good laugh when reading our comments on here and play their little games with us They dont even need to search for them as they have their own customer satisfaction section!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.