Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuel lines and cable routes?
mongrelwestie

posted on 10/1/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
fuel lines and cable routes?

if my fuel lines cross the transmission tunnel, will my wiring loom have to switch to be oppersite? or can i run them lower along a different side?? whats the rules??
Macbeast

posted on 10/1/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I understand it, fuel and electric cables must not be run "together". I would think you can run them where you like as long as there is a reasonable spacing between them - six inches min say ?
mongrelwestie

posted on 10/1/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
i thought that might be the case, so as long as i keep them apart i should be ok
nitram38

posted on 11/1/08 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
My fuel/brake lines and loom run right next to each other and my car passed.
As long as they are individually clipped to your chassis (not tied to each other) then it is ok.

02GF74

posted on 11/1/08 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
from section 15.2
quote:

checks all fuel system components and fuel pipes for
* leaks
* security
* suitability of design/construction
* positioning

components should be positioned such as to minimise risk of fire in the event of a fuel leak

similar section to one highlighted appears for wiring which I ain't typing out

so I would say it doesn't matter what anyone else has done that can be conisdered iffy and passed but it is at the examiner's discretion as to whether your set up is ok.

So if it were me, I'd put the fuel under the electicals since unless you've done a turtle, fuel isn't going to leak upwards.

tks

posted on 11/1/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
from section 15.2
quote:

checks all fuel system components and fuel pipes for
* leaks
* security
* suitability of design/construction
* positioning

components should be positioned such as to minimise risk of fire in the event of a fuel leak

similar section to one highlighted appears for wiring which I ain't typing out

so I would say it doesn't matter what anyone else has done that can be conisdered iffy and passed but it is at the examiner's discretion as to whether your set up is ok.

So if it were me, I'd put the fuel under the electicals since unless you've done a turtle, fuel isn't going to leak upwards.

that where my thoughts 2 until i realised that a small hole with pressure will spray everywhere...

put the fuelline in an extra flexible tube of plastic. then you have added some extra protecion etc. etc.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

02GF74

posted on 11/1/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks

that where my thoughts 2 until i realised that a small hole with pressure will spray everywhere...

good point - let us hope the SVA inspectors never see this otherwise all cars will fail

lsdweb

posted on 11/1/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
How can a loom ignite petrol (vapour)?

[Edited on 11/1/08 by lsdweb]

matt_claydon

posted on 13/1/08 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I think the implication is that an accident which causes damage to a fuel line be likely to also damage wiring in the vicinity and thus create a potential source of ignition.
lsdweb

posted on 13/1/08 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think the implication is that an accident which causes damage to a fuel line be likely to also damage wiring in the vicinity and thus create a potential source of ignition.

Well. If the accident damages the fuel line and the loom, in the transmission tunnel, I think it's safe to say you're in huge trouble anyway!

David Jenkins

posted on 13/1/08 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
quote:

Well. If the accident damages the fuel line and the loom, in the transmission tunnel, I think it's safe to say you're in huge trouble anyway!

What happens if the propshaft lets go?

I think that they're more worried about one thing rubbing on another - e.g. the loom rubbing on the fuel pipe. If you get it just right, you can wear through the fuel pipe just as the wires' insulation has almost gone...

I worked on the basis that if they're separated, and you can't pull one against the other, then you'll be OK.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.